Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chernobyl Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:30pm
I think this was posted before: http://kiddofspeed.com/

I found it really interesting.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I think this was posted before: http://kiddofspeed.com/

I found it really interesting.

It's also completely false, well, at least her story is.

Yuri Tatarchuk, a long-time Chernobylinterinform accredited guide has debunked her purported "solo rides" through the exclusion zone. For on thing, any vehicle that enters the zone, stays there. While walking around doesn't pose much of a threat, isotopes that are buried beneath the topsoil will readily attach themselves to tires, tracks, and other modes of locomotion that churn them up from the dirt and dust.

Yuri has stated many, many times that she booked the tour just like everyone else, wore a leather jacket, and carried her helmet with her, but if you notice, there is never a shot of her bike in any pictures that are recognizably taken in the zone.

Also, Chernobylinterinform has no record of her father ever working in the zone at any time.

The pics are neat, but the same stuff that you can see from any tourist trip into the zone.

There ARE youtube videos taken by some of the guides who had special permission to enter the NPP and other highly radioactive areas to show you what you wouldn't normally see.

Here you go:

They also visit some other places like the basement of the Prypiat Hospital #126 which still has really radioactive clothing from the firefighters who were on the roof.

Anway, Solo East Travel IS one of the few firms currently authorized to give tours, so if you want to go, I'd suggest them or another from the Chernobylinterinform website.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:00pm
Interesting. I think I originally got the link from an old post here. Tried finding it, but the search feature seems more limited these days.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:19am
Wow those videos are amazing. I especially like the look inside the control room of Reactor 4. The firefighter's clothing is something else too. They were probably left untouched in the basement since 1986.

Edit: I found this video of inside the building post explosion.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 09 May 2012 at 8:22am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:40am
^^^^^
Ahhh, the "Elephant's Foot" LFCM or "Corium" at its finest!

That mass you see in the video is all the slag and Lava-like Fuel Containing Material that burned its way down through the pressure vessel and into the sub basement. It's so "hot" that there's no way you can get near it even with protective gear. Hence the use of toy tanks with cameras strapped to them at the beginning, and now robots, to monitor what it's doing. Apparently it's degrading rather rapidly and spontaneously turning into dust as the various components spontaneously explode (in microscopic form obviously). The same thing is going on inside the old reactor building as well from the other components like the remains of the moderator block. They have to spray boronated water in there pretty regularly to keep the dust down and prevent it from going critical all on its own.

Also, in closing, Dyatlov was a frikken moron and a cocksure moron at that. Despite his protestations otherwise, while the reactor design had its flaws, they were known and he should have caught on to the fact that the test he was running, without properly training his staff before hand, was dangerous can would result in the steam explosion that caused the accident. The 5 years he served were too few IMHO, and the apologists who say it wasn't his fault are misinformed and myopic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic