Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Occupy leaders attempt to blow up bridge in Ohio..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:45pm
Yeah, I brought this thread back.  Mainly because I saw an article in yesterday's paper that reminded me of the discussion tallen, whale and FE were having regarding media bias.  I hunted around until I found it online.

Link

Originally posted by article article wrote:

GOP measure freezes lawmakers' office budgets

Associated PressBy ANDREW TAYLOR | Associated Press – Thu, May 17, 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) — Even as they press cuts to foreign aid, food stamps and a host of domestic programs, Republicans running the House of Representatives are opting against any further cuts to their own office budgets.

In draft legislation supported by Republicans and Democrats alike, the House Appropriations Committee would instead freeze the $574 million budget for lawmakers' staff, travel and office expenses.

The spending freeze announced Thursday comes as Republicans are rewriting last summer's budget accord to press cuts to non-defense agency budgets by about 5 percent on average. The overall $3.3 Capitol Hill funding bill would absorb a 1 percent cut that comes from cutting back the budget for repairing the Capitol dome.

An Appropriations subcommittee is scheduled to approve the measure Friday.

In two earlier rounds of appropriations bills for 2011 and 2012, Republicans imposed a 10.5 percent budget cut on the House. Their office budgets — officially called the "members' representational allowance," have been cut by a total of 13 percent from the record $660 million approved by a Democratic-controlled Congress for 2010.

"The nation's budget challenges are far from over, and Congress must continue to lead by example and hold the reins on spending wherever possible, including in our own Capitol complex," said Appropriations Committee Chairman Harold Rogers, R-Ky. "At the same time, we must maintain the efficacy of the people's House, and ensure the safety and security of the thousands of people who work in and visit our historic buildings every day. This bill balances both of these needs."

In March, the House passed a budget plan that would force non-defense cuts of $27 billion below levels agreed to in the budget and debt pact forged by President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. Since then, Rogers has revealed plans that generally shield some Cabinet departments — like Justice and Homeland Security — from the cuts, while the departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Housing and Urban Development will bear a much larger share.

In implementing the GOP budget, authored by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., Republicans earlier this month passed legislation cutting food stamps, pension benefits for federal workers, health care and social services programs like Meals on Wheels for the elderly.

Top panel Democrat Norm Dicks of Washington praised the House measure.

"For the most part ... this bill has been protected from Ryan budget austerity," Dicks said in a statement.

Why did I think this applied?  Compare the title and the second paragraph.  There are other things in this article that bug me, but the aforementioned is the big issue.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:12pm
Another example... 

Look at the headline... Wow, really? Do they teach bias like this at Columbia? Clearly

They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:24pm
In related news: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-20/news/ct-edit-protesterhd-20120520_1_molotov-cocktails-nato-summit-chicago-police

Mind you, it apparently isn't front-page news that occupy members were planning on firebombing the president's campaign office, Rahm Emmanuel's house, and police barracks. Guess the BeeGees are much more newsworthy than any of this....
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:08pm
inb4 whale saying he sees nothing wrong with any of this... and the reporters must be lazy or something... 

Lol. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:10pm
In after FE saying that he was inb4 whale saying he sees nothing wrong with any of this . . . and the reporters must be lazy or something.

Lol.

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Guess the BeeGees are much more newsworthy than any of this....

Hey . . . it IS the BeeGees.

Edited by Mack - 21 May 2012 at 2:11pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

In after FE saying that he was inb4 whale saying he sees nothing wrong with any of this . . . and the reporters must be lazy or something.

Lol.

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Guess the BeeGees are much more newsworthy than any of this....

Hey . . . it IS the BeeGees.

Yes, but it'd make since if they were stayin' alive rather than dying off....
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:48pm
Well played sir. 

You win again.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:52pm
That song was always going to make them look like stupid liars.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:12pm
Yeah, I brought this thread back again . . . I figured it was better than starting another one and having two of them running around.

Link.

Short version:  Romney gave a speech on how difficult it can be to deal with the government and made a comparison to the efficiency of sandwich shops.  A specific media outlet edited to look like he was overawed by the process of ordering a sandwich and offered lame excuses when they got caught.

There's a vid as well, but here's the written part:
Originally posted by article article wrote:

NBC edits Romney rally speech to portray candidate as out of touch

NBC is taking heat again for selective editing a day after presenting video of Mitt Romney seemingly awestruck by the process of ordering a sandwich at a convenience store.

During an afternoon broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports," video of the GOP presidential candidate seemed to show a politician out of touch as he discussed ordering a hoagie at Wawa.

The video clip went viral after the blogsite SooperMexican.com pointed out in a post that it appeared doctored.

“It’s amazing," Romney said, as the Pennsylvania crowd appeared to laugh. Then viewers saw Romney say, "You have a touchtone keypad, and you touch that, touch this, go pay the cashier, there’s your sandwich.”

What viewers didn't see or hear was nearly three minutes of Romney discussing the nightmare of paperwork faced by an optometrist he'd talked to in trying to get the post office to change his address. He expressed mock amazement at Wawa's efficiency to underscore how the private sector often runs circles around the clumsy bureaucracy.

"We went to Wawas and it was instructive to me, because I saw the difference between the private sector and the governmental sector. People who work in government are good people and I respect what they do, but you see, the challenge with government is that it doesn’t have competition,” Romney said in a portion edited out of the segment.

But Mitchell invoked an old perceived campaign stumble by George Bush, who supposedly marveled at a supermarket scanner at a grocers' convention during his failed 1992 re-election bid. Even though Bush was actually impressed not by an ordinary scanner, but by a then state-of-the-art device that could weigh food and read damaged bar codes, the anecdote was reported by The New York Times and offered as evidence that Bush was out of touch with everyday Americans.

Representatives for the Romney campaign declined to comment, but officials from the Romney camp had reached out to the Peacock Network, which promised they would correct the issue.

At the opening of Tuesday’s show, Mitchell addressed criticism over the misleading edits.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about a conversation you and I had yesterday, Mitchell said to MSNBC contributor Chris Cillizza, “We ran clips of Mitt Romney in Cornwall, Pa., talking about his trip to a Wawa.”

“The RNC and the campaign both reached out to us saying that Romney had more to say about that visit, about federal bureaucracy and innovation in the private sector,” she added before playing the unedited clip from the rally.

Lauren Skowronski, a spokeswoman for NBC, which owns MSNBC, denied that any deceptive editing took place.

"MSNBC did not edit anything out of order or out of sequence and at no time did we intend to deceive our viewers," Skowronski said.

Last August, Ed Schultz of MSNBC played an edited clip in which then-presidential candidate Rick Perry described the national debt as a “big black cloud that hangs over America” to make it sound like a racial dig at President Obama. Schultz later apologized.

And in March, NBC was caught editing the audio of George Zimmerman's 911 call as he watched Trayvon Martin in the minutes before he fatally shot the Florida teen. On a tape edited and played on the “Today” show, Zimmerman was heard calling Martin “suspicious” and volunteering that he was “black.” But the full, unedited tape showed that Zimmerman only mentioned Martin’s race when asked by the dispatcher. The result made it sound like Zimmerman was racially profiling Martin. The network fired three people after getting widespread criticism.

Edited by Mack - 19 June 2012 at 10:18pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:16am
Look, I found Whales response to all this media bias. (at least I think it is whale if he goes by "Deacon Greg Kandra"?, since it uses all of his talking points from the past.)

Good old NBC

Is that the "Non Bias Channel"? Hahaha!

"I’m tired.  Truly.  I’ve grown weary of trying to defend the indefensible and explain the inexplicable.  For years, people have stomped their feet and pounded their fists and snorted “Liberal media bias!” and I’ve always tut-tutted and shooshed them and said, “No, no.  Calm down.  They meant well.  It was just a misunderstanding.  A mistake.  These things happen.”  I spent over 25 years working in the oft-reviled Mainstream Media and I saw up close and personal how the sausage was made.   I knew the people who wielded the knives and wore the aprons, and could vouch (most of the time, anyway) for their good intentions.

But now?

Forget it. I’m done.  You deserve what they’re saying about you.  It’s earned.  You have worked long and hard to merit the suspicion, acrimony, mistrust and revulsion that the media-buying public increasingly heaps upon you.   You have successfully eroded any confidence, dispelled any trust, and driven your audience into the arms of the Internet and the blogosphere, where biases are affirmed and like-minded people can tell each other what they hold to be true, since nobody believes in objective reality any more.  You have done a superlative job of diminishing what was once a great profession and undermining one of the vital underpinnings of democracy, a free press.

Good job.

I just have one question:

What the hell is wrong with you guys?"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 9:26am
Latest news on "Wawagate". 

""MSNBC did not edit anything out of order or out of sequence and at no time did we intend to deceive our viewers," NBC spokeswoman Lauren Skowronski said in a written statement provided to FoxNews.com."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/20/nbc-ignoring-call-for-explanation-in-wawagate-gaffe/#ixzz1yQy81v8x

Doubling down on stupid... The major media in our country is just a propaganda outlet for the left. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

The major media in our country is just a propaganda outlet for the left. 

el oh el.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 3:18pm
Before last night, NBC news had only done ONE 30 second story on Fast and furious...

Seriously, that is pathetic.

All you have to do is read headlines at the major news outlets to see their bias...

Why would ABC "news" write a headline like that?

oh wait.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 10:20pm
Unbelievable... It is just insane how the major media in our country acts as Obama's super pac for pushing his spin...

I'd love to hear whale spin this... 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

The major media in our country is just a propaganda outlet for the left. 

el oh el.

Agreed.  It's laughable the number of people who can't see the bias despite the ever-mounting number of times the media has been caught red-handed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 10:22am
Course the new media posts stuff like this all the time, so if you pay attention it isn't hard to see the bias first hand, and daily...

Politico, another PAC for Obama pretending to be a "news" site...

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 2:04pm
I don't think you know what a pac is

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 9:46am
A pac is a political action committee...

And the media acts as a democratic PAC often, just look at all the examples above. They write biased stories that bash the GOP while praising the Dems...

And go so far as to hide bad economic news whenever possible and cover for their side which is in charge, even to the degree that they blame republicans for the mess Obama and the democrat controlled congress and senate made in the last cycle.

Look at this AP (that would the the associated press another Obama PAC). 

GOP governors are doing a good job of fixing things in their states, while democratic governors are watching their states crumble under their debt and massive spending. And what does the AP write?...

Exactly what they are told to write.... JournOlist is alive and well.

"Dem governors: GOP hurting economy to aid Romney"

Don't worry, I'm sure the media that focused on the spelling of potato will be all over this latest Obama gaffe... Oh wait...

Don't cover things that make YOUR candidate look bad... That is what a pac does...
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 12:01pm
I find it a little ridiculous what passes for news these days. If I owned a news media outlet and one of my writers wanted to publish a story about Obama saying "paralegal" on accident instead of paramedic, I would probably be sorely tempted to fire that writer on the spot for wasting my time.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 11:43pm
^^^  Yes, I agree, that's almost as silly as the media making a big deal out of someone mispronouncing nuclear on a regular basis or misspelling potato.

Edited by Mack - 16 July 2012 at 11:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic