Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Occupy leaders attempt to blow up bridge in Ohio..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 7:52am
Clearly Whale didn't read my post... Guess you didn't either.

Sad part is, Whale posted a bunch of stories that proved my point. If these were guys tied to the tea party, that would be the major part of EVERY story, in fact, in the headlines! and yet, they are clearly tied to the occupy movement and instead of even mentioning that, they get labeled at "anarchists", and the "occupy" ties get ignored or pushed to the very end of the story...

The major media is protecting the occupy movement by ignoring the fact that these guys were INTERVIEWED FOR BEING LEADERS OF THE OCCUPY CLEVELAND MOVEMENT.... The FBI informant MET THEM at the Occupy Cleveland events last year.

And yet, only ONE story whale posted even mentions the occupy movement, and discounts their involvement. Clearly omitting the truth as it doesn't fit the narrative. May day was the occupiers time to "disrupt traffic and close bridges". 

Hello, they were trying to blow up a bridge to "affect the 1%". And again, you guys act like you don't understand the blatant media bias. What ARE schools teaching today... Clearly not logical thinking, just keep buying the liberal narrative, while the occupiers destroy property and attempt to destroy the free enterprise system. 

Oh wait, they aren't occupiers, but anarchists... Dur hur!

They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Clearly Whale didn't read my post... Guess you didn't either.

Sad part is, Whale posted a bunch of stories that proved my point. If these were guys tied to the tea party, that would be the major part of EVERY story, in fact, in the headlines! and yet, they are clearly tied to the occupy movement and instead of even mentioning that, they get labeled at "anarchists", and the "occupy" ties get ignored or pushed to the very end of the story...

The major media is protecting the occupy movement by ignoring the fact that these guys were INTERVIEWED FOR BEING LEADERS OF THE OCCUPY CLEVELAND MOVEMENT.... The FBI informant MET THEM at the Occupy Cleveland events last year.

And yet, only ONE story whale posted even mentions the occupy movement, and discounts their involvement. Clearly omitting the truth as it doesn't fit the narrative. May day was the occupiers time to "disrupt traffic and close bridges".†

Hello, they were trying to blow up a bridge to "affect the 1%". And again, you guys act like you don't understand the blatant media bias. What ARE schools teaching today... Clearly not logical thinking, just keep buying the liberal narrative, while the occupiers destroy property and attempt to destroy the free enterprise system.†

Oh wait, they aren't occupiers, but anarchists... Dur hur!

As much as I hate to agree with him, he's right. There seems to have been a pretty distinct "pass" for the Occupy movement on this one when it comes to these guys being tied to them. Only a few stories that I have seen point out that they were members of the Occupy Cleveland movement, but if some nut-job militiaman decides to try and blow something up on his own, he's instantly identified with the militia group he was a member of, even if he's no longer affiliated with them. These guys were still members, actively attempted to gain roles of leadership within the movement, and tried to recruit within the movement for their own purposes. Yet none of that is getting mentioned in most of the articles published. Whether it's political, or the news companies wanting to try and uphold the whole "oh, look at these poor jobless kids/people oppressed by the wealthy" image for sympathy ratings is yet to be seen, but there definitely seems to be a slant in favor of Occupy on this one.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:38am
^^^ What Tallen said.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:52am

Sad part is, Whale posted a bunch of stories that proved my point. 

Those were news articles posted within hours of the story breaking. 

Let's check now, as the big story is about Cleveland not renewing the Occupy Movement's encampment permits because of the recent events -- this is the media reporting on the apparent connection of some of the individuals in the bomb plot with the Occupy Movement. 

It seems to me that if one was attempting a grand-scale coverup of the suspects' connections to the Occupy Movement, one would not run articles about how the Occupy Cleveland outfit is having their permits non-renewed because of the actions of the suspects. I also certainly would not expect mug shots of those suspects run in an article about Occupy Cleveland. 

That's on the micro scale, though. Let's look more macro. 

Using the NewsBank -- America's Newspapers database, using the search terms "Cleveland bomb plot" AND "Occupy," in the timeframe of May 1 to May 3, we get the following results:

Seventy-five printed news articles containing both phrases spanning three days. 

Those 75 news articles were in centralized newspapers representing 20 states, with 21 of those articles considered "National coverage." 

If this is some kind of cover-up, it's certainly not a very good one. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:04am
WRONG... It is HIGHLY effective to mislead the general public.

Here is why, something happens. Media writes story, hides facts that don't fit the liberal narrative. Put story on front page and POOF, the majority of the public reads these stories... Other outlets pick them up, and a narrative is born. 

Media knows they will be called out for blatant omission of facts, so they "update" the story later, when story is no longer on front page...

They write other little stories with the facts that are buried way deep into the news cycle, hidden from plain sight, but searchable if you know what to look for. 

Public knows nothing unless they dig, like you just did. 

THAT is what they do, again, and again, and again. It is done on purpose, and as usual, you see nothing wrong...

Our media is corrupt. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:10am

Media knows they will be called out for blatant omission of facts, so they "update" the story later, when story is no longer on front page...

Or, for those of you out there who are fans of Occam's Razor: The media rolls with the information they can be absolutely sure about at the given moment. Or, at least tries to be as careful as they can about what they claim to be sure about. 

So, articles written within an hour, or a few hours, of a breaking news event will most likely contain less information than one written two days later -- as the one two days later has allowed those involved to confirm information during those days. 

Or, you know, it's a grand conspiracy. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:24am
Problem with your story is that all the media had access to the official complaint when they wrote their stories. 

You know, the "facts" that were presented in COURT...

In that document that was the basis for the entire story from all outlets, (as that is how the media found OUT about the attempted bombing) it clearly links these guys to the occupy movement, as that is WHERE the FBI informant FOUND these guys...

I realize you don't want to accept reality, but really... ALL THE STORIES were written based on the facts in the official criminal complaint, which clearly ties them to the Occupy movement. Only ONE media outlet produced the official complaint (CBS). Where the public could dig for themselves to find the facts of the case, since clearly writing them from the complaint wasn't something the media could handle without tainting the story to fit their liberal ideology. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

The media rolls with the information they can be absolutely sure about at the given moment. Or, at least tries to be as careful as they can about what they claim to be sure about.†

I'd like to agree with that Whale, but given previous examples, I can't. Sensationalism breeds fear, fear breeds ratings, and ratings drive dollars. Back to the militia scenario mentioned earlier. Major news outlets have (in the past 20 years at least) always been much more apt to make unsubstantiated ties to right wing groups in initial reports than they have been to hold back and get it right. They'll jump on the "fringe armed militia member" bandwagon and then retract later instead of doing what they're doing in this case saying it's a lone-wolf thing and only then linking them definitively to Occupy. FE is also unfortunately (for the human race that is) correct in that the first news headline/story is the one that people remember and identify as the truth. Again, it seems like Occupy got a pass on this one.

Truthfully, I'm surprised I'm not seeing more cries of "Haymarket" on this one.

Quote Or, you know, it's a grand†conspiracy.

I know you're talking to FE with that one, but it still doesn't address the apparent bias mentioned earlier. I think perhaps one of the biggest examples is the OK City Bombing. While McVeigh and Nichols weren't active members of ANY militia organization (and were generally shunned by many of them) the media latched onto the idea that they were without checking the facts before reporting.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Major news outlets have (in the past 20 years at least) always been much more apt to make unsubstantiated ties to right wing groups in initial reports than they have been to hold back and get it right.

Do you have available statistics for this claim? 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:10pm
I seriously doubt anyone has taken the time to quantify them, but seriously Whale, take a look back at all the big events like this to the OK City bombings and tell me that the major news organizations have focused more on getting it right than getting it out there.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:17pm

I seriously doubt anyone has taken the time to quantify them, 

Ah. In that case, I don't think one is qualified to say: 

Major news outlets have (in the past 20 years at least) always been much more apt to make unsubstantiated ties to right wing groups in initial reports than they have been to hold back and get it right.  

As opposed to saying that anecdotally it seems as if the media is more quick to identify right-wing groups as opposed to left-wing groups. That is something you are indeed qualified to say. 

And, the purpose of that seemingly semantic clarification is that "seems" can be clouded by perception and positioning. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 03 May 2012 at 1:19pm

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:42pm
I have seen many complaints in this thread about "if these were TEA Partiers/right-wingers/mitiamen/etc.  the media would have xxxxx."  The one thing I have yet to see in this thread, is anyone complaints backed up with a concrete example.  Surely a headline blaming the right shouldn't be hard to find if they are so common.  A tip, in Google news search, on the left side, you can customize a date range for your search.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:29am
Because journalists and new media would never say anything that wasn't true

Goes hand in hand with FE's retraction argument as well.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:04am
An integrity violation was brought to their attention, they investigated it, and they fired those responsible.  I don't see the problem with this.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

An integrity violation was brought to their attention, they investigated it, and they fired those responsible. †I don't see the problem with this. †

After the fact. After it had been sent out to the nation as a whole. Whale states that they do the best with what they have with at the time. Patently false blanket statement when issues like this occur regularly (rigged SUVs anyone?) Again, first impression is a lasting one, media outlets know this. Rather than checking, and double checking the facts, this type of thing happens.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:49am
It happens all the time...

How about the tea party spitting on a congressman... Made up. Tons of camera angles, and the congressman recounted later, after the damage was done. 

How about the story about the "gun toting tea party guy" that the media edited to make it look like he was a white male... Turns out, he was black. But, that didn't fit the liberal narrative, that the tea party was "racist" so they edited it to make it look different. 

Or the stories about Arizona trying to FOLLOW THE LAW and crack down on illegals... The liberal narrative doesn't like states trying to follow the law when it applies to their voting base... Oh wait, did I say that out loud. Lol. 

Anyway, it is all typical, Whale never sees the media doing anything wrong, even when it is abundantly clear. 

Guess I'll be waiting a LOOOONG time for the major media in our country to cover this story, huh...

"Suspect in bridge bombing plot signed lease on
 Occupy Cleveland warehouse"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:00pm

After the fact.

Until someone comes up with a viable time machine, it will most likely be impossible to fire someone for a professional transgression until the action takes places. 

Every profession has crappy people who will act improperly. The person who decided to edit down the Zimmerman tape was a crappy person who acted improperly, most likely to fuel his or her work getting on the air and getting played (Selfishness and narcissism, folks say, lead to fabrication by newsmakers far more often than bias). And, in turn, the person was fired when it was discovered what they had done. Safeguards exist, and safeguards do fail, sadly. 

Also, the Zimmerman NBC tape, while a horrendous breach of ethical behavior on the part of the person who edited the tape, and a serious breach of oversight from the person's higher-up producer, is not applicable to what we are currently discussing -- the identification of politically affiliated fringe groups by the media when covering their negative actions. 

Quote when issues like this occur regularly

Considering the number of news broadcasts, news papers, news magazines, and news websites that are published and distributed around the clock, all being composed by human beings, "regularly" is most likely a bit of a stretch. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:13pm

How about the tea party spitting on a congressman... Made up. Tons of camera angles, and the congressman recounted later, after the damage was done.

So, let's assume Rep. Cleaver was indeed making up the story. 

A congressman says he was spit on. The media reports his claim as a claim. Why is this the problem of the media for reporting the congressman's claim and not the problem of the congressman for making it up, exactly? 

Quote How about the story about the "gun toting tea party guy" that the media edited to make it look like he was a white male...

As I recall, the situation in question was one segment of a talking head session on MSNBC. Is this what you are assumedly categorizing as encompassing "the media" now? 

Quote Or the stories about Arizona trying to FOLLOW THE LAW and crack down on illegals...

What about the coverage? 

Quote Suspect in bridge bombing plot signed lease on
 Occupy Cleveland warehouse"

So, in your opinion, this sentence should be breaking news across the country? 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 07 May 2012 at 12:13pm

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:37am
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Thats a very unlucky bridge. I knew the guy who killed himself by jumping off of it not too long ago.
Then these kids were heroes trying to get rid of a dangerous structure that has been known to kill...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:11am
Awe, how cute, 50 occupiers went to the court to support their brothers in arms... 

Course, if you read the media, some how they missed that part of the story... Lol. 

"More than 50 supporters crowded the courtroom to see the "Cleveland Five," as they have been dubbed"...

Strange how they didn't say 50 occupy members...

Oh well, as usual, you have to go across the pond to see the link covered by the media. 

We are finally seeing the major media starting to realize that their bias is hurting their coverage...

Of course Romney "flip flops" while Obama "evolves". Because the authors of the articles support Obama, and don't support Romney...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 09 May 2012 at 11:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic