Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New TV*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New TV*
    Posted: 25 April 2012 at 6:54pm
I'd like to start off with what I had before getting into what I got.  About 4 years ago, I purchased a used Mitsubishi rear projection 55" HD-ready TV from a buddy at work.  He was originally asking $1000 for it.  He was getting a Vizio flatscreen to replace it and needed to get rid of it.  He put up flyers with no bites.  LSS, I took it off his hands for $400.  Later I found a Mitsubishi HD-5000A hi def tuner controller for the beast for the extremely cheap price of $180.  Back in 2003 they sold for $1600.  Without it, the TV only displayed 480i.  With it, gave it the capability of 480i/480p/1080i.  Considering the TV was a 2004, it did improve the picture quality and gave me a bunch of extras I never fully exploited.  Hopped on the HD bandwagon with a blu ray player and HD programming from Dish Network and I was set.  Wasn't nearly as crisp as the hi def sets in the stores, but nothing to sneeze at either for my investment.

Well, I started having difficulty with the blu ray player.  Some of the kids' movies weren't playing well or at all.  Most of the time, a lint free cloth for the dvd was all that was needed.  I also broke down and bought a lense cleaner for the drive (as the house can get a bit dusty thanks to my wood burning insert).  Most of the time that solution worked.  Other times I chalked it up to badly scratched discs.  Didn't really know we had a problem until I decided to run some of these movies on the computer which also has a blu ray drive.  The discs no matter how smudged or scratched performed flawlessly.  /sigh  So, I figure the blu ray player needed replacing.  So, I pranced off to Best Buy to purchase another.  Tested a few for load times and selected another Samsung non-3D unit.  Got it home, unpackaged it and found it wouldn't work for my needs.  It had no component outs, just HDMI.  Yep, the TV and HD tuner were all component out except for the RS-232 and DVI where they connected to each other.  All the other outputs on the HD controller were RCA and Component.  So, I decided to take the blu ray player back to get one with component outputs.  For some strange reason, I decided to find which players had those outputs.  Surprisingly very few.  And after further research, the ones that might have them wouldn't output more than 480i/480p because of outdated compy protection rules.  So with a quick migraine-relieving pinch to the bridge to the nose later I notify my wife about the situation.  I had been working on her about a new TV for a couple of years on and off.  I had nearly $900 saved up for a cruise I thought she wanted to go on anyway, so why not push now right?

I was somewhat torn because I really didn't want to get a new TV because it wasn't that great a priority, but nearly half our librarty was now blu ray.  Try explaining that to a 3 yr old why he can't watch one of his movies and expect him to understand.  So, I start researching and think about some of the TVs I've looked at during the holidays in the stores.  I remember seeing a set from Sharp that really caught my eye at Sam's Club.  For the price it was just as good if not better than the Samsungs and and Sonys that were on either side of it.  Well, come last Monday morning I stopped off to the Club after work and looked around at the offerings.  There she was, a beautiful 60" Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE633U!  They even had the stand I wanted in stock too.  So, pacing after nearly 20 minutes, I call the wife and tell her what my intention was.  She appreciated that I called her first which sealed the deal for her.  How I managed to get that TV and stand home in my Equinox without damaging them I'll never know.  It wasn't until I got home I noticed on the TV box that they are supposed to stay upright the entire time.  Grrrr.  Oh well.

After dismantling and unplugging the old setup furiously (God there were a ton of cables there) and rolled the old unit to my my three season room, I assembled the TV stand which took nearly three hours.  With the help of my wife we finally hung our 60" beast on stand and set up the satellite receiver and new blu ray player with a pair of newly bought HDMI cables.  My litmus test was of course, Avatar and I am here to tell you brothers and sisters that true 1080p in all of it's flatscreen LED glory was nothing short of a mini-religious experience!  Just with the stock settings it was a beautiful thing to behold!  I and my wife were stunned at how crisp and clear the picture was.  I now have nothing but time to experiement with the settings.  I've even found a blog where people share their settings for sports and movies that I can fiddle with and save.

*Apologies to the TL/DR crowd.  The cliff's note version is I replaced my old clunky rear projection TV with a new 60" flatscreen from Sharp.  Looks really really nice!
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 7:21pm
Whenever I see HD TVs now, I can't stand the weird 3D look it gives the images. It may be that they are lower quality HD TVs, but it looks like paper is held at different distances on the image. It bothers the crap out of me, and I don't know why these TVs do that. I have an HD TV that doesn't do that, but all the huge HD TVs have that weird 3D look to it.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 7:26pm
Yeah ...I'm not reading all of that.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

Yeah ...I'm not reading all of that.
He had a rear projection tv, thought he was seeing full HD because of the tuner he had, he wasn't. Had DRM issues with blue rays because he was using component cables. Purchased a Sharp LED TV with HDMI and is loving it.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 10:21am
Just went to Walmart last week (its in a town over) and I've noticed that they've started rolling out the 70" ones now. Man they're huge.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 12:23pm
I got a Panasonic 47" HD DLP TV back in 2004, but the tuner has HDMI input (only 1 unfortunately) and composite and component input. It's been a fantastic TV and you just can't kill it since it has both auto and manual convergence adjustment. However, it's just too damned bulky for a small house/apartment, so we're probably going to sell it for a couple-hundred bucks and use that to put towards a similar flat-panel when we buy our new house so we don't have to move the SOB again.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 1:40pm
How did you get all of THAT past the spam filter... I type two lines and it gets kicked out. You could have just gotten a multimedia receiver... HDMI in, and component out... PS. Don't tell the wife. 
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

PS. Don't tell the wife. 

I can see it now:

Wife: "Is that a new TV?"
SK: "Uhhhh... Nope. Mostdefinitelynot a new TV. I swear!"
Wife: "I think it's a new TV.... How much was it"
SK: "Ohh! Look at this credit card I just handed you, and this coupon to DSW shoe warehouse!"

I, on the other hand, am very lucky that the wife seems to not recognize new guns whenever they make their way to my house.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 1:48pm
I got me one of these 55" Samsung LEDs.  It's pretty.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 1:55pm

How did you get all of THAT past the spam filter... I type two lines and it gets kicked out.  
Do we really need to say it?
LOL
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

What Robocop said. I was looking at this EXACT TV when the wife said she didn't like the lines it gave the pictures. We ended up with an almost bottom of the line Plasma and she prefers the picture to the higher end TV's.

Oh well :p

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 2:37pm
I was also looking at a plasma, but they seem too dark to me.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 12:19am
My 42" Samsung is still going strong 4 years of hard use later-I had to replace one part on the motherboard for $100 bucks, but fingers crossed I hope to get a few more years of good use out of her.

I still have my RCA DLP rear projection that's 7 years old. A new bulb every few years and my dad still gets daily use out of her since his flat panel went out. Definitely pulled my $1000 out of it.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 7:56am

How did you get all of THAT past the spam filter... 
Pure talent?

You could have just gotten a multimedia receiver...
That will be coming down the road if I can't get the older receiver to work with a PCM cable...

Edited by StormyKnight - 27 April 2012 at 7:58am
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Which model did you get? i have been scoping those out for a while. will probably buy one after i move in june. ho is it for gaming? 3d model?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 2:52pm
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55d6400/4505-6482_7-34468164.html

This one, but mine is 55"  I paid, I think $1995 for it in January*  and am extremely happy with it.  My previous TV was a 26" Vizio, and this one blows it out of the water.  The colors are very bright and for gaming I haven't ever played on anything that compares to it.  I haven't tried 3D yet as I don't have any glasses or movies.  All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.  

*Thanks guys**
** except for Scotchy and Kayback

Edited by evillepaintball - 27 April 2012 at 3:16pm
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 3:53pm
I purchased a $600 52" plasma in Feb from sears. I paid for it with gift cards that were resold on plasticjungle.com at 8% less than their face value so I ended up saving a decent amount of money on the purchase. I recommend doing this for any larger purchase to save some cash.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic