Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Workouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Workouts
    Posted: 09 April 2012 at 1:21pm
Anyone else starting to get active again for the Spring?

Snow is finally thawed and the weather is starting to get nice again so I decided to start running. I have a new house since last Spring which is an acre and a third plot of land, so I just run laps around the perimeter of the property. I'm not a large guy by any standard (5'11, 160Ibs) but I haven't ran at all since rugby last year and my time for 2.5k shows it.

I have a 9 week couch to long distance run plan that I am going to do and it works by alternating walking and jogging until its pure jogging and eventually running. [link]

I'm confident it will work, but i need to get in to running shape at least because I applied to a policing school for next year (not an academy) and I need to be able to run 2.5k. It's going to suck because I haven't exercised since last year and I've never been fully fit in my life.

Any tips on getting fit?

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 1:47pm
Do a mix of interval runs and distance runs.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 2:25pm
I mow the lawn and kayak. That's enough.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 3:04pm
I do the HIIT routine. Interval running will get you there fast enough, the main thing is to understand that it's all a self discipline matter-I hadn't done any sustained running since I was a teenager and started HIIT at 24 years old, 6'5 220. I'm down to 203 and I went from running for 1-2 minutes at a time to doing run / jog for an hour after around 5 months of steady, every other day running.

Take into account that the older you get the tougher running is on your body as well. I bought the wrong shoes for work and exercise and have been paying for it with a messed up calf for around a month. At this point I'm stuck doing a stationary bicycle for my interval cardio stuff because every time I run I re-strain my calf. So go get fitted with some good shoes that give you the right kind of support.

But mainly just set a time and a schedule and stick to it no matter what unless you're injured.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 3:07pm
I have been working out everyday except for wednesday and if there is something going on that keeps me from going to the gym. I love working out. I haven't worked out for 4 days counting today and it is killing me. Atleast one of the days I was in Chicago and walked all over the place. Otherwise, I'm getting up at 5:30 tomorrow to go workout before my 10:30 class. Working out has become an addiction for me for the past 2-3 months. I even started taking protein shakes and I also have a protein packed spinach smoothie that tastes amazing, pretty much everyday. I'm 5'6" at 131 lbs. Last time I checked I was under 14% body fat. I should still be and less. I have gained a good amount of muscle too. I don't know what I will do for the summer as I use the school gym. I might have to go find a gym and get a 2 month membership or just do what I did last summer and run every morning and do some other no weight workouts, but I love using machines. I need to buy running shoes though and I don't want to drop over $100 on those just yet.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I have been working out everyday except for wednesday and if there is something going on that keeps me from going to the gym. I love working out. I haven't worked out for 4 days counting today and it is killing me. Atleast one of the days I was in Chicago and walked all over the place. Otherwise, I'm getting up at 5:30 tomorrow to go workout before my 10:30 class. Working out has become an addiction for me for the past 2-3 months. I even started taking protein shakes and I also have a protein packed spinach smoothie that tastes amazing, pretty much everyday. I'm 5'6" at 131 lbs. Last time I checked I was under 14% body fat. I should still be and less. I have gained a good amount of muscle too. I don't know what I will do for the summer as I use the school gym. I might have to go find a gym and get a 2 month membership or just do what I did last summer and run every morning and do some other no weight workouts, but I love using machines. I need to buy running shoes though and I don't want to drop over $100 on those just yet.

How's the new CoRec?

I was wanting to pick up a new bicycle to start riding and get some exercise.

Edited by pntbl freak - 09 April 2012 at 3:30pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 3:44pm
I'm trying to do a 5k by the end of the year. So that's a thing. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 4:10pm
I've been playing 5 a side football once a week for a month or two now and I've seen a good improvement already. Not only fitness but my playing has gotten a lot better too. If you have 10 guys and the facilties then I reccomend it.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

How's the new CoRec?

Not open till next school year. But it looks really good.

Edited by RoboCop - 09 April 2012 at 4:40pm

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 5:55pm
I'm currently training up for a 4 day, 100 mile ruck march in July.  Should be a hoot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 6:11pm
I was going to do Nijmegan a few years back. I did a few marches of a similar distance only over two days so just under 50mile total IIRC but we couldn't put a team forward in the end :( 

That'll be a good laugh the banter at the camps along the way is class if it's anything like the marches I done. 
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 8:53pm
I do a lot of body weight workouts just because of the convenience factor. Between rotations and studying, I don't have a ton of free time to join a gym. I'm planning to try some cross-training this summer, again using body weight and the environment. Back to basics essentially. 
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 9:37pm
My workouts almost work perfectly for my schedule. I am lucky. Mon and Fri, I workout right after class at 2:30 and my roommate comes and joins or does something before I give him a ride home. Tues and Thurs, I workout before 10:30 classes, which works well because I don't carpool with my roommate on those days. Sat and Sun, depending when my gf is ready, we go workout together.

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 9:45pm
Stretch Pedal crunch lift
Sent from a phone booth
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 6:05pm
I've been doing lots of 12oz curls.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 6:52pm
I typically bang out a few sets of crunches and push-ups daily so I don't feel like a sponge. I paddle a few times a week and probably hike or jog a few miles a few times a week. During the summer I'm on my feet just about all day, hike up mountains (OK so I'm out east and our mountains are pimples), and rock climb daily. Now if I don't do anything stupid like gorge myself on doughnuts and double fist pitchers of beer on days off, I can get/ stay in shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic