FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have Camera Make Money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have Camera Make Money
    Posted: 02 April 2012 at 8:30pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 9:35pm
Rip off

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 10:10pm
Even if it's just opportunism, paintball is hard to photograph and usually when you're playing you don't necessarily have time to enjoy the sights, some places put on a great show. I've played a few big games and always enjoyed seeing the pics on the company website after. I'd love to get back into the game, and will when I can justify the expense, this makes me want to play. It beats the usual view of a fogged up mask, or from behind sweat and paint spray. 
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 11:07pm
Those are some pretty cool photos, too expensive for me to get a print though. :-/
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 12:20am
Keith Saylor?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Those are some pretty cool photos, too expensive for me to get a print though. :-/

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Keith Saylor?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 10:25pm
I want to slap the site's designer.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 6:06am
I don't get it.

Why the hell would anyone besides perhaps, the site owner ever buy any of those?
Am I being thick or is that the point of the thread?
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:44pm
 Because those are some pretty damn cool images? I'm gonna hazard a guess, your walls are bare?  

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 04 April 2012 at 10:45pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 11:20pm
My main reason for posting was because (like with any interest) our perspectives on this board are very different than the average person, especially in the creative field. So things that are just nice images of a saturday in the past to us, can be seen as beautiful, valuable, rare images to some.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 5:43am
I may be ignorant to something, I just have a hard time thinking it is worth buying a picture that was just taken for fun basically. I understand things like family pictures and photoshoots, but things that people just go out and shoot seems not super valuable. It's not a painting that there is a lot of work put into it and there is only 1 true painting of that in existence. A photo can be multiplied many times over.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 1:38pm
There is a lot of work put into it (a theoretical photo print, as I can't speak to this in specific), in the thousands of hours spent making and thinking about photos, honing craft, producing prints, etc. However, that is irrelevant in the valuation of art. Valuing something for time invested in any pursuit is really, really dumb. Would you rather own a poorly made chair a craftsman spent 100 hours making, or a beautiful, perfectly molded chair produced in an hour by someone with a mechanized process (or just one built in much less time by a different craftsman)? Reproducibility is likewise fallible as valuation, as there are a great deal of methods of producing nearly indiscernible copies of paintings. Further, the idea of individual craftsmanship and authorship are woefully divorced from historical reality, most of the great artists of western history ran ateliers in which they had many assistants cranking out work in their name.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 2:44pm
Photography: The bastard child of fine arts.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Keith Saylor?

This.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Photography is an amalgamation of tools and processes with myriad applications.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:52pm

Because those are some pretty damn cool images? I'm gonna hazard a guess, your walls are bare?  

I think choop probably has a good idea there. To someone who hasn't worked and played in paintball sites exactly like those shown for 6 or 7 years then they could seem exotic or spooky or something, I don't know.
 I just don't see them as interesting pictures. I think that in fact they are quite ugly, I've always thought that about paintball sites. They are a lot of things but pretty just isn't one of them IMO.

I don't know what the whole" Let me hazard a guess" shtick is all about.
 If you reckon you've sussed my whole opinion, interest or lack thereof in art , photography or stews from me not liking these pictures then just simmer yourself down.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 4:06pm

There is a lot of work put into it (a theoretical photo print, as I can't speak to this in specific), in the thousands of hours spent making and thinking about photos, honing craft, producing prints, etc. However, that is irrelevant in the valuation of art. Valuing something for time invested in any pursuit is really, really dumb. Would you rather own a poorly made chair a craftsman spent 100 hours making, or a beautiful, perfectly molded chair produced in an hour by someone with a mechanized process (or just one built in much less time by a different craftsman)? Reproducibility is likewise fallible as valuation, as there are a great deal of methods of producing nearly indiscernible copies of paintings. Further, the idea of individual craftsmanship and authorship are woefully divorced from historical reality, most of the great artists of western history ran ateliers in which they had many assistants cranking out work in their name.

Exactly.

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

I think choop probably has a good idea there. To someone who hasn't worked and played in paintball sites exactly like those shown for 6 or 7 years then they could seem exotic or spooky or something, I don't know.
 I just don't see them as interesting pictures. I think that in fact they are quite ugly, I've always thought that about paintball sites. They are a lot of things but pretty just isn't one of them IMO.

I don't know what the whole" Let me hazard a guess" shtick is all about.
 If you reckon you've sussed my whole opinion, interest or lack thereof in art , photography or stews from me not liking these pictures then just simmer yourself down.

Now combine this with what BB said, and it would be like if you were a man who builds chairs allllll day. Your opinion of a beautiful, valuable chair, will be completely different than anyone else.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Photography is an amalgamation of tools and processes with myriad applications.
Thanks for clearing that up.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic