Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HPA help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Coolant42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolant42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HPA help
    Posted: 31 March 2012 at 8:40pm
Ok first this is what I have;
Tippmann 98 Custom Platinum Series - ACT Electronic (E-Grip), Tippmann 98 Cyclone Feed System, and a Tippmann 98C Flatline

Now I currently use a 20oz CO2 bottle, and I've been looking around for a few weeks for info about HPA and how it will effect my style. I play woodsball as a 'heavy gunner' and I go through a lot of paint. I know CO2 is not consistent, so we dont need to get into how bad it can be (reason why I want to make the switch).
Would a HPA system be able to keep up with my cyclone like CO2 does?
Also if anyone has the same or close to my setup and uses HPA, which tank would be the best size? I would like something that can equal the 20oz bottles. I've been reading a lot of conflicting reports that a 48 / 4500 will equal a 20oz, and others saying a 72 / 3000 will do the same. And others say it depends on the marker its self and the way its setup to run.

So if anyone could help me out with this, it would be great.

Thanks.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 9:15pm
Figure with a Tippmann that you will get about 10 shots/cubic inch with a 3000 psi tank and about 15 shots/cubic inch with a 4500 psi tank.  (I.e. a 3000 psi, 68 cubic inch tank will get around 680 shots before needing refilling.)  In good weather with a low rate of fire you can get up to 40 shots/ounce with CO2.  However, given the fire rates that a heavy gunner usually uses on the field you specifically are probably getting much less than that.  (I would guess 20-25 shots/ounce, but that is just a guess.)
Coolant42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolant42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 5:06pm
OK so with 6 full pods, and a full hopper, I can carry 1080 paintballs (excluding my GXG 2000round hauler), and my 20oz CO2 tank can roughly fire 1200 rounds before its empty.
To match the shot count exactly I would need a 72  4500 HPA tank. I also know that the weather can play a part in the capacity at which the tank holds. So I may not be getting exactly 1080 shots per fill. So I would need a slightly larger tank, and the only size up that I know of/can find locally is a 90 4500, which would give me roughly 100 more shots than my 20oz CO2 currently does now.

So for the next question, is there a HPA tank between 72 4500 and 90 4500?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 10:04am

Weather conditions really only play a part in CO2 fills. One of the benefits of HPA is that it is not affected by such things as temperature, humidity, etc. Also, it is not an exact science. The numbers given are VERY approximate. Typically when you play, you get all day air/CO2 fills, so don't concentrate so much on thinking you will get the exact amount of paint/tank. It rarely works out that way. Paint to barrel match, leakage, remote lines, rof, FPS, etc will all factor into the equation, so getting a precise number is often tough and it will vary from player to player, setup to setup.

As for tank sizes, 72ci are pretty popular. I have an older 88CI tank and as mentioned, there are 90ci tanks and not sure if anyone makes them anymore, but I have seen 110ci and possibly larger tanks. IIRC, there are 80ci tanks as well. There have been several manufacturers over the years, so it is hard to keep a full list.

I think the size you will want will depend on how you intend to carry it. If on gun, I find that a 68 or 72ci are nice. If you go much larger, it becomes somewhat cumbersome. If you are using a remote and carrying the tank on your back, you may want to opt for a larger tank.

The cyclone will operate fine on HPA.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 03 April 2012 at 10:05am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Coolant42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolant42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 3:37pm
Right now I have the CO2 on a remote, so I'd keep it the same for HPA. I am not concerned about running out of air during the day because I always buy the all day air/CO2 packages anyway. Im concerned about running out of air during a game. I play long rounds and often I will go through 1000rounds of paint in a single match (and during large events I even carry a smaller 12oz bottle as backup).

Thanks for the help and numbers to judge a tanks shot count. Looks like I am set to buy the 90 4500 (which is made by Ninja paintball).
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Coolant42 Coolant42 wrote:

I play long rounds and often I will go through 1000rounds of paint in a single match
Good lord.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2012 at 5:09am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by Coolant42 Coolant42 wrote:

I play long rounds and often I will go through 1000rounds of paint in a single match
Good lord.
Yeah really.  Remember the good old pump days where you could go an afternoon on 100 rounds?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 10:32pm
^^^ I remember when I could play all day on two 10-round tubes.  Of course we had to mold our own paintballs back then.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^ I remember when I could play all day on two 10-round tubes.  Of course we had to mold our own paintballs back then.
Throwing rocks painted with berry juice at Mastadons doesnt count Mack.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic