Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 10:10pm
And Winnipeg just proved to me why they deserve to have a NHL team. The Leafs, on the other hand, can suck my taint.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Now, where'd I put that poutine and moosehead....

*mouth watering*

You are from Flarrida
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 11:27pm

I can't tell you how much I currently HATE Dale Hunter. It's obvious that he can't instill the drive to win in the Caps. He also makes stupid, stupid line combos that just don't work.

Hunter sucked hard when he was a player, he sucks as a coach. He belongs back in the minors. With the skill that the Caps have, they should have had more post season success. I'll just say that I'm really glad that Ray Shero is the Pens GM, not McPhee...
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Now, where'd I put that poutine and moosehead....

*mouth watering*

You are from Flarrida

I was from Canada first!!
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:08am
I am actually kind of sad that the Devils don't have their "Because of the Cup" video. Then again, they are not an Original Six team, nor is Crosby on the team.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

I probably should have said they seriously miss D Rose when they play really good teams.

Yep. And that series vs. the Knicks coming up is going to be a rough one. 

I'm not a Bulls fan, but Rose is one of the more fun players to watch in the modern game. It makes me sad when he's not playing. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 1:44pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

REPORTED!!!!!
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I probably should have said they seriously miss D Rose when they play really good teams.

Yep. And that series vs. the Knicks coming up is going to be a rough one. 

I'm not a Bulls fan, but Rose is one of the more fun players to watch in the modern game. It makes me sad when he's not playing. 

Knicks don't scare me that much.  They will be tough without Rose but there is a possibility he comes back for the Boston game on Thursday.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 5:40pm
Could you people have picked a stupider league to clutter the NHL thread with than the NBA? Barf.

Who's everyone picking to play or, and win, the cup? Homerism aside.

Wings over Flyers in six, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Kings get hot and storm out of the West behind Quick.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 6:03pm

Knicks don't scare me that much.  They will be tough without Rose but there is a possibility he comes back for the Boston game on Thursday.

Regardless, the Bulls go into the playoff as the No.1 contender overall though, right? Who is better, overall, than them this year. Maybe the Heat, Thunder, or Clippers. But even the Clippers are live and die by Paul and Griffin. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 04 April 2012 at 6:04pm

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Could you people have picked a stupider league to clutter the NHL thread with than the NBA? Barf.

Could be worse... they could've been spamming with MLB.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:28pm

Nope, nothing is worse than the NBA. How a league that HAS a cap(the NBA) has less parity than a league that DOESN'T(MLB) disgusts me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:31pm

Speaking of which, it's opening week. The Rays made some late-post lineup changes that (hopefully) will end up working in their favor.

The more my life progresses, the more my appreciation for baseball increases. I think it's a maturity thing. Baseball is a cerebral sport, more-so than some others.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:39pm
Why do Tampa Bay residents not support the Rays?
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:40pm

Nope, nothing is worse than the NBA. How a league that HAS a cap(the NBA) has less parity than a league that DOESN'T(MLB) disgusts me.

That largely has to do with the fact the talent is the unit of disparity, not the paycheck.

The margin between what makes someone a superstar and what makes someone average is much smaller in MLB. There are also more finely tuned positions. An ace pitcher is an ace pitcher. They are expected to have a low ERA and Earned Runs, and either a high foul count or high K count. A superstar in the NBA is expected to, now-a-days, play a hybrid of every position and then some. Dwight Howard is a center and then some. Lebron James is a forward/guard and then some. Everyone has to shoot and defend at 100% at all times. The difference between a Lebron James and a, I don't know, Richard Jefferson, is really astounding.

That's not because James is better paid. It's because he's better at the game.

I don't really see that lack of parity as "disgusting."

If the accusation is that money is too much of an issue in the NBA, then the Heat would have been champions last year. Instead, we got the Mavs, with an aging Dirk and a guard who was drafted in 1994.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 04 April 2012 at 10:44pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Why do Tampa Bay residents not support the Rays?

My theories:

• The Trop is in a bad neighborhood and not really near anything of any importance.
  • The Trop sucks -- baseball in Florida should not be played indoors, dumb seating, bad lighting.
  • The Trop is in St. Pete, and St. Pete is sort of a quiet beach town. People in Tampa have to drive a half hour to an hour in traffic just to get to it.
  • The Rays were so bad for so long, they sort of had a chilling effect for a lot of fans, despite their recent success.

Essentially, it's mostly because of The Trop.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 10:54pm

That largely has to do with the fact the talent is the unit of disparity, not the paycheck.

The margin between what makes someone a superstar and what makes someone average is much smaller in MLB. There are also more finely tuned positions. An ace pitcher is an ace pitcher. They are expected to have a low ERA and Earned Runs, and either a high foul count or high K count. A superstar in the NBA is expected to, now-a-days, play a hybrid of every position and then some. Dwight Howard is a center and then some. Lebron James is a forward/guard and then some. Everyone has to shoot and defend at 100% at all times. The difference between a Lebron James and a, I don't know, Richard Jefferson, is really astounding.

That's not because James is better paid. It's because he's better at the game.

I don't really see that lack of parity as "disgusting."

If the accusation is that money is too much of an issue in the NBA, then the Heat would have been champions last year. Instead, we got the Mavs, with an aging Dirk and a guard who was drafted in 1994.

I'd argue that it's more about NBA owners/GMs being unable to handle their resources properly, and it was clearly evident leading up to the lockout this past year. Some of the contracts that get handed out in the NBA are ridiculous(Gilbert Arenas anyone?).

I agree that the difference between LBJ and a guy like that are vast, but oftentimes the contracts don't represent it. The NBAPA has crippled that league.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 11:18pm

The more my life progresses, the more my appreciation for baseball increases. I think it's a maturity thing. Baseball is a cerebral sport, more-so than some others.

I've found the exact opposite to be true. Any sport where there is no time limit on making a move is a dumb sport. Even chess has timers. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING more boring than watching baseball on TV. In fact, the only thing that makes it bearable in real life is beer, heart-attack inducing food, and the mob mentality of a ballpark. Claiming baseball is any more cerebral than any other sport is just plain wrong. Football is every bit as cerebral, if not more so, and if you want to talk math, Hockey, like pool, is a game of geometry all the way. The ONLY reason I even go watch the Nats a few times a year is that the food at that park is fantastic, the beer isn't quite overpriced yet, and tickets are still dirt cheap ($2 ticket days anyone?!) Hockey got really expensive here in DC last year. I ALMOST don't want us to make the playoffs this year so that the bandwagoners will quit going and the ticket prices will drop back down.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 11:52pm

Claiming baseball is any more cerebral than any other sport is just plain wrong. 

This is usually the opinion of someone without the ability to understand the complexities of baseball. 

Edit* I should include a winky emoticon or something to indicate that I'm only joshing. But really though. Hockey can be fun, no doubt, but it's not as complex or cerebral in its construction as baseball. It's just not. Every baseball game is a chess match of batting rotation (Who are you putting in the cleanup? Has your lead-off guy been hitting poorly lately? Can your late-rotation guys hit off a lefty if they start him?), starting pitchers (Left/right, is he a fastball thrower or a breaking thrower? Does he throw inside or out when he's on a low streak or high streak? Is he aggressive? Fouls/high count? How long can he last? If we play him now are we burning him?) who has the top sub spots (Do you pick the next lowest ERA? Or the guy on the hot streak? Or the guy who counters the style of the starter?). How is the park you're playing in? Is it pitcher friendly or batter friendly? What's your team's OBP this season quarter? What's the other team's OBP? 

Etc. etc. etc. 

It's the reason that entire books of statistical analysis exists for baseball and not really any other sport. 

It's not a fast game, no. Some may even call it boring, if they have a dulled attention span. 

But there isn't much actual argument that baseball is the most complex, cerebral of American sports.

Football does have a certain level of complexity and cerebral element, as it does have fine-tuned skilled positions. 

Hockey? It's about on-par with basketball, as far as complexity. That's not a slam against hockey at all, it's just simply not that complex of a sport. It uses geometry about as much as basketball uses physics. 

Fun to watch? Sure. Complex? Not at all. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 05 April 2012 at 12:10am

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 11:53pm

I agree that the difference between LBJ and a guy like that are vast, but oftentimes the contracts don't represent it. The NBAPA has crippled that league.

You won't find me arguing against you on that point. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic