Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

barrels,wich one and why

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trytokeep_TEMPO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trytokeep_TEMPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barrels,wich one and why
    Posted: 22 March 2012 at 9:47pm
ok so Im new 2 the sport and have got a lil starter set up going, Im finly making it out 2 the fields but my salvo is just chucking paint with little 2 no accuracy its driving me crazy!!! I get a good bead on a guy that doesnt see me let some rounds loose and hit every thing around him he turns and nails me!!Dead!!!!! Im gonna snap if I dont get some better accuracy so I talked 2 some of the guys on the field about it and they said its probably my barrel, so now Im here pricing barrels problem is I dont have a clue what the difference is between them Im leaning twards the hammer head just cuz of the rifeling, after all thats what gave real guns there accuracy and took us from lineing up like idiots 2 lurking in the shadows waiting 4 the next kill. so whats the deal with the flat line barrels? saw a slowmo of the ball being shot and it just comes out still (no rotation) how is that supposed 2 inprove accuracy? and as for the rest, what are yall's exp. with them? lenght, brands, price, funtion, who what when where WHY(being the biggest) and HOW(being a close second) please explane why you think what you think if I am ever 2 be the kick Wink  gunmen I truley am then I need 2 understand WHY things work the way they do, so let me know 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 10:52am
Start by doing a forum search using the word "barrel" and read some of the stickies.  Once you've done this, you should have a better idea of the questions you want/need to ask.  As it is now, your question is so broad that it is very hard to give a good answer to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trytokeep_TEMPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 5:52pm
ok so I did a search for barrels and wow!! there went a good hour and now Ive got some new Q's for yall I guess the bigest would be back spin or side spin- flatline or hammerhead. Its my understanding that the flatline will give you more distance while the hammerhead will put the ball where its supposed 2 be with a good tight grooping but has less distance is that right? and some one said that the side spin was just a gimic cuz unlike a real gun the projectile doesnt expand so rifleing doesnt even come into play. also what do the diffrent lengths in barrels change? 14" barrel VS 18" barrel does it affect range and grooping I would emigine so seeing as if you let a round loose with a sawed off 12 gage there is no chance of hitting a goose 30-40 feet up where as with a 4' barrel no problem

any ways how about I just ask any recomendations for improving accuracy on a salvo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trytokeep_TEMPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Mann on PBNation http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2218018 this is his two cents on the matter. He has conducted extensive research on barrels and bore sizing.

What is the most important factor in accuracy?

YOU. I can not stress this enough. Being confident and comfortable with your marker setup will provide the most drastic increase of eliminations you are able to make. I believe that paintball is 60% mental. When a player is confident other players pick up on it, and end up downplaying themselves. When a player is comfortable with his or her marker they usually know where they are shooting without really aiming.

Note: Please do not confuse being confident with being cocky. These are two completely different attributes.

Does a longer/shorter barrel increase accuracy?

No. We used a stainless steel Freak kit to compare the differences in the length of fronts. We shot six types of paintballs and reballs through each bore with a ten inch front. We then choose the top and bottom 2-3 ball/bore combinations, and shot each of those with ten, twelve, fourteen, and sixteen inch fronts. We did not see any increase or decrease in accuracy. The length difference is only personal prefrence. I prefer a 12 or 14 inch barrel.

Does a longer/shorter barrel increase the distance you can shoot?

Yes and No. A paintballs speed is measured at the tip of the barrel. If a 16 inch and a 10 inch barrel both are chronoed at 280 fps then the 16 inch barrel would allow the ball to travel 6 inches longer than the 10 inch barrel with respect to the markers breech.

What length barrel should I get?

It does not matter. Most players use 14". I usually use somewhere between 12-16 inches. Let me explain how I choose. I use a TI Longbow(ti version), and usually only use three of the backs. I own 3 fronts, and have randomly placed them on the bores. I usually just keep the front on the bore as I am too lazy to change them. That should tell you how much of a difference the length of the front actually makes.

Does an apex or flatline barrel increase the distance you can shoot?

Yes, well sorta. The theory/principal on the flatline/apex barrel is to put backspin/an angle on the ball when it is fired. This will cause the paintball to arc. This will allow you to shoot farther, but the velocity at the longer distances are usually not high enough to break a paintball. We did not test a flatline barrel, but did test an apex barrel.

Can rifling/spinning a paintball increase the distance you can shoot?

While performing the paintball barrel test we used a rifled Hammerhead barrel. The height of the placement of the paintballs at 70 feet were similar to those of non rifled barrels. This would lead me to believe that their velocity at 70 feet would be similar to non rifled barrels, which would mean that they do not increase the distance.

Can rifling/spinning a paintball increase accuracy?

No. While performing the paintball barrel test we wear able to compare rifled and non rifeled barrels with the same bore and the same paint, and saw no increase in accuracy. In many cases the non rifled barrels were able to out preform the rifled barrels.

This has been a long debated topic in paintball, and has been reasearched by many of the leaders in the industry. You can find more info on their oppinions on the "usefull links post".

Is a one piece barrel more accurate than a multiple piece barrel?

No. Many 2 piece barrels use a front that has a larger diameter than the back or insert. This means that when the ball transfers from the back/insert to the front there is no external forces that are being placed on the ball, and the front will not cause the ball to change from its original flight path.

Does a one piece barrel "self clean" better than a multiple piece barrel?

No. We tested many one and two piece barrels with a break test. During this test the one piece barrels did not preform as well as some of the two piece barrels. We believe that there are many other factors that are more important in "self cleaning barrels" than how many pieces they have.

What allows a barrel to self clean?

We believe that the attribute that contributes most to a barrel being able to “self clean” is the smoothness of the bore. This along with matching paintballs to the correct size bore will allow paintballs after a break to basicly squegee out the broken paint, and return the barrel back to somewhat of a clean state. I will go into more detail in a later post where we post data from the break test.

Is a longer barrel quieter than a shorter barrel?

Yes. A longer version of the same barrel will slightly reduce the sound of the marker being fired. The change is usually not enough to tell a difference. On my marker it is only ~ 1dB per 2 inches

What barrel is the best for my marker?

As far as accuracy is concerned the marker does not affect accuracy. All the marker is in the equation is basically an on/off valve that provides energy to allow the paintball to move. I know that everyone says that HP or LP markers are more accurate than each other, but this is not true. We did not test this theory with this test, but it has been a heavily debated topic in the past, and many highly respected people in the industry have proven that the marker has nothing to do with accuracy.

What paint is best for my barrel?

Unfortunately this is a very hard question to answer. The size of paint will usually vary depending on the atmospheric conditions, and will also change over time. Because of all of these variables Marballizer paint for a person in Florida using a .692 Dye UL will not have the same accuracy/performance as someone in Washington using Marballizer paint and a .692 Dye UL. I know it would be nice to determine the “best” paint for each barrel, but this would be near impossible as it would constantly be changing. The best way for a person to determine this is to buy the same paint from the same supplier, and use trial and error with their barrels/ barrel kits.

Will overboring hurt or help accuracy?

Let me first define what I consider overboring. My definition is using a bore that is more than .006 of an inch that is larger than the paint. As many paintballers know paint can usually vary in a bag or box +-.002 inches so using a barrel where the balls all just roll through the barrel is usually overboring.

This is a very hard question to answer, because even in our "perfect" environment we saw instances where overboring accuracy was equal to using the "correct” size bore. The majority of the results showed that overboring did reduce the accuracy of the barrel, and therefore I am going to say that it does hurt a barrel’s accuracy.
One advantage that we did notice with overboring is that the amount of barrel breaks were reduced drastically.
A huge disadvantage to overboring is that if there is a break in the breech or barrel the accuracy afterward is ruined. A barrel will not “self clean” if it is overbored.

AngryTHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.....Angry
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

. . . and read some of the stickies.

Originally posted by trytokeep_TEMPO trytokeep_TEMPO wrote:

AngryTHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.....Angry

Example of a sticky which answers just about every question asked above.

You're welcome.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 2:04pm
As a lowly forumer I want to apologize for not spoon feeding you the information that you were able to find on your own. Please forgive us.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic