FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

school me on kayaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: school me on kayaks.
    Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:00pm
so im either buying another pistol or a kayak (its ok to lie to myself)

but i have NO idea about what kayak to get.

i think im leaning towards a tandem sit on top. i would love to go out on the ocean in it, and i live in the swamp. i dont need to be worrying about spiders or snakes playing with my toes...

the only problem is all of the tandem sit on tops i can find look like they would push a lot of water. i want something with a nice pointy bow but a fat belly so i can cut up the swamp but still fish off of.

the solo boats have the profile im looking for but i probably wont go alone and im not looking to buy 2 boats.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:09pm
If you're going to be fishing AND going in the ocean, sit-on-top is definitely the way to go. That said, sit-on-tops are rarely ever streamlined since you need that fat hull to keep you from capsizing and getting dumped every time you wiggle around. Add another person to the equation and it's even more important to have added stability.

That said, there are some fishing kayaks which have sealed buoyancy chambers that will work well as a hybrid kayak (sit on top ease and flotation with sit-in benefits). The best one that comes to mind for fishing and carries two is the Jackson Big Tuna. Perception makes nice kayaks (my LL Bean Manatee is just a dolled up perception prodigy) and their Tribe series of sit-on-tops are pretty good, but less outfitted for fishing. Otherwise, here are some other options:

Pelican
Teksport (May only be available in Europe)
Bic Kayaks (yes, THAT Bic, like the pens/lighters) Their Trinidad and Tobago line looks decent.
L.L. Bean has just 1 sit-on-top tandem, but it looks nice.

Really, most of the time you see a tandem, it's a sea-kayak (read: Eskimo/Greenland style) as most people who either rec-boat or whitewater tend to go it alone. Also, tandems can be just as expensive as buying two separate boats a lot of the time. And remember, tandem paddling (be it in a kayak or canoe) will ruin a marriage/relationship faster than being caught in the act with another woman.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:16pm
I got a Pelican on clearance from Dunhams. I recommend that you spend more time than I did researching. 

I have to use about every 5th or 6th stroke correcting my heading.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:54pm
Forget the tandem unless you really want to take a lady out, but you'd be better off getting her to buy her own. I really like my Future Beach fishing boat. It has a large enough sealed compartment to float, and the cockpit is big enough to easily get in and out of. It's also super-stable (I can stand up to pee after I've had a few). If you have the money though, Wilderness systems makes a good boat, and you can't forget Old Town or Perception. You really need to plant your butt in the seat for an extended period of time. My Future Beach is a bit spartan, I wish it had pads for my thighs sometimes, and after 3+ hours I want to stretch. Sit-on tops are fine for fishing and the ocean, but my boat will potentially get some mild white-water use so I wanted a cockpit. You really need to sit in the boat and paddle it. A good paddle is also an absolute must, as well as a vest that suits you. Try to rent something and check out some forums, there are a lot of people who get very creative outfitting for fishing, and carry more gear than I do on an actual boat.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 9:20pm
I'm currently waiting for the wife's new job to happen so I can trade up to a Dagger Approach. Good WW/Rec hybrid. My L.L. Bean Manatee (which is a pimped out Perception Prodigy 10) has been fantastic. coupled with my NRS Catalina spray skirt, it stays dry even in Class III water. Lots of storage space, nice-n-stable, easy to exit if need be.

Also, Merc, don't forget, you can pretty much put just about anything on a basic kayak model (deck webbing, drainage plugs, etc) Campmor sells all the stuff you'd need.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 9:23pm
The Prodigy looks like a nice boat, the 12' model looks tits to me. My 10' boat is just a tad small for carrying things like camping gear. 
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 9:36pm
I've been fishing out of my Pelican for a while now. Over the last couple years I've put 2 rod holders, a couple cleats, and an anchor trolley on it.

I like fishing in my sit-in. I can pack everything below deck and paddle out to a site. Then when its time to fish, I just pull off my spray skirt and go without until its time to move or paddle home.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 9:44pm
What if a Cotton Mouth daggers the hull with his fangs?
Sent from a phone booth
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 12:26am
I have a necky manitou 14' and my wife has a wilderness systems 12'.  We've logged lots of miles on these, rivers, lakes, overnight trips.  I like the seat in the wilderness systems better than mine.  Get a good paddle, especially if you are doing day trips.  We both have Werners, light and nice solid gear system for offset. 

proteus316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proteus316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 12:53am
Even though you're from VA we're all friendly down here Wink

And you will learn everything you need to know about kayaks. 

I have a WS tarpon 120 I fish out of since the majority of my time is in rivers but it also works well in the bays and takes surf ok. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic