FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For Reb:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Reb:
    Posted: 20 March 2012 at 2:29pm
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 6:36pm
That's cool as hell. One of the guys that joined us recently used one back at his old department. They make some that will broadcast the feed back to a wireless unit at the command truck so the Incident Commander can see what's going on.

I will say, that's either a drill or the guys doing ventilation work are awesome- because I've never been interior where visibility is that good. Between smoke conditions and steam, there's been a lot of groping around on my part. LOL

Great video though. I'm actually going to pass it along to my former instructor. There's a lot of pieces there that can be used for instructional purposes.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I will say, that's either a drill or the guys doing ventilation work are awesome- because I've never been interior where visibility is that good. Between smoke conditions and steam, there's been a lot of groping around on my part. LOL

The house looks too good to be a drill. I'd vote on ventilation, but then again my experience in fighting fires is standing back and making sure no one runs over the hoses.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 4:35am
Man you get to grope around in the dark at work and at home? Awesome.

Also Reb, I don't know how fun-money is for you lately, but a GoPro is totally reasonable.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Man you get to grope around in the dark at work and at home? Awesome.

Also Reb, I don't know how fun-money is for you lately, but a GoPro is totally reasonable.

It isn't work yet. Still waiting on the test results which determine if I get an interview. What a process.

But yeah, It can't be beat.

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:33pm
i dont know much about firefighting but ive been told to aim low. he seems to be spraying the flames a whole lot... any input?
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 8:42pm
If you get into a room that's involved, you're supposed to hit the ceiling with a few blasts from the straight stream right away to screw up the thermal layering therein. If you don't, you can have the heat press back down on you when you start hitting the actual fire.

But yeah, generally you're looking to extinguish fire by cutting off the fuel source- ie aiming low at what's burning. 

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 10:52pm
That's pretty cool, always wondered what goes on in there!
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 8:26am
Originally posted by sinisterNorth sinisterNorth wrote:

That's pretty cool, always wondered what goes on in there!

I'll be honest, its odd seeing it on the video like that. When you're interior on a place that is trying its best to burn to the ground, yeah- you have some situational awareness, but you're pretty focused on what's happening right in front of you.

The very first time you go inside of a place, its amazing how your training kicks in and takes over. It honestly and truly overrides the part of your brain that's attempting to reason your body out of going into something like that. And even after my two year break when I was living outside of a volunteer area, everything was still automatic when I got back in.

My first one was two weeks after I had finished my training. It was EASIER than some of the drills they'd put us through in school.

I'll be 100% honest too... and I've never admitted this before because it sounds weird to say- despite knowing that its someone's life going up in flames, that someone could get hurt or killed....I have some degree of FUN when they tell me to 'pack up.'

But you never know what could happen in there either- One fire that I missed, the guys were ripping ceiling tiles down to get where fire had spread, and an entire nest full of charred mice fell down on one of the new guys. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic