FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hunger Games:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 9:33pm
My 12 year old cousin reads them; therefore, I cannot.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 11:28pm
Just read the second. Gonna have to track down the third, now.

I find Enos is right, though I'm not sure if "money grubbing" is the motive, though decent sales definitely seems to be. Where the first book lacked any definite character development, the second book made up for that in spades. Of course, that is bound to happen when you try to cram three novels into one. The story was so rushed that I found it hard to truly appreciate some specific events that were obviously meant to be traumatic or at least be memorable to the reader. I'd post examples, but I don't want to spoil anything. There are a few decent plot twists, but nothing really took me by total surprise. Instead of getting taken aback by some event, or moved by Katniss's (or some other character's) plight, I found myself going, "Huh. Well, that happened," simply because the pacing was too fast. In my mind, there were three separate story lines, not arcs, that transpired in the second book. While I do not actually believe they would have been better off as individual novels, they definitely deserve to be hashed out more. Hunger Games itself was one decent, and linear, story line that paced itself very well, whereas Catching Fire had too much going on.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is the target audience. I'm concerned that if the book replaced action for story, Collins would have lost a good portion of her audience. I'd like to be noble and say a good story should take precedent over sales, but I know that is not necessarily the case. It worked for J.K. Rowling, but I honestly do not think that Collins is on Rowling's level as an author. No disrespect meant, it's just the way it be. As a result of that, the Hunger Games trilogy simply could not be as dynamic as something like Harry Potter. The characters, world and story just do not allow for that, and given the target audience, i.e. young folk who tend to not care much about books, I think Collins did the best she could with what she created. Taking into account the success of the movie, she did something right.

Which brings me to the films. Simply put, they need to be "R" rated. In order to be any form of decent, there needs to be more leeway given. The books are not pretty, and frankly, the PG-13 rating is holding far too much story back. But once again, that would kill off a HUGE portion of the target audience...

All that said, I really don't know what it is, but I find myself in love with it all. Rushed and reserved though it may be. I really found myself pulled into the world of the Hunger Games, and I really want to see what happens next. 

Edited by DeTrevni - 01 April 2012 at 11:38pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 12:30am
Pretty good movie. As stated before, the shakiness at times was a bit hard to tolerate but I got used to it.

I still can't believe the book/movie is targeted at young teens/children. It was a very dark movie and you could tell that there should have been more violence shown, which leads be to believe that the book was more violent than the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 02 April 2012 at 12:31am
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 12:57am
Oh, no, the PG-13 rating held a lot back. I'm not sure what  it's rated in Canada, but it certainly limits the film. It really needs an R rating to truly represent the book, but most of the target audience would be gone...

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 3:01am
I suspected that... anyone know why thats the targeted group? I still can't wrap my mind around this being a kid's story - just because the characters are children.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 3:36am
Definitely not a "kids' story," per se. Just the "young adult" crowd, i.e. teens. I guess the market was larger, somehow. Maybe riding on the coattails of "Twilight?"

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 7:03am
'Suppose that makes sense from a money-making standpoint. And guess that its up to the parents to decide whats right for their kids.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Read all 3 books in just a couple of weeks. They were decent, however I found the end to be 'meh' and sort of rushed... just like Mass Effect 3.

I'm beginning to hate trilogy endings...
Bah, I haven't read them but they would have to really suck to be worse than the ending to ME3!   

Edited by Apu - 02 April 2012 at 10:22am
I need a new Sig...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic