FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hunger Games:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

The whole world is talking about it. I am clueless. 
The lead actress was good in Winter's Bone, so it has that going for it.

... Is that a prono?
Totally sounds like it, but it's about an Appalachian teen trying to support her mentally-ill mother and younger siblings, and hillbillies on meth. Jennifer Lawrence did get a nomination for her performance, and she really carried a decent low-budget film. I'm thinking I'm going to wait and catch this one after theaters. The fact that they keep making Twilight comparisons is a major turn-off for me. Who knows, it could be better than Star Wars I-III. The comparisons that keep getting made are lowering the bar for it, which doesnt make me want to see it.

Ohh I see. Sounds like a good drama.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2012 at 10:43pm
Alright, Hunger Games the movie kicked some ass. Totally more violent than I thought they'd show and the character development is superior to the book in every way. Donald Sutherland rocks his role as does the chick who plays Katniss. Of course, I could never get it out of the back of my head that I thought Haymitch was going to ask for a Twinkie at some point.

Edit:

Rednekk, screw the noise of the "Twilight" comparisons, there isn't any way, shape, or form that you could ever even put this movie in the same room as Twilight, let alone get them close enough to compare. Twilight is (from what I gather) about a whiny emo chick who thinks all the boys hate her and falls in with the Justin Bieber equivalent of vampires and werewolves. She mopes and cries the whole time and never does anything productive. "The Hunger Games" is about a girl from (formerly) Appalachia and living under the oppressive thumb of a post-apocalyptic government whose father is killed in a mine explosion when she is very young and thus, looses her childhood as she becomes the only one keeping her family alive after her mother goes catatonic. She's a pretty defiant character in the books and is a complete badass in the movie. It's definitely worth the price of admission.

Edited by tallen702 - 25 March 2012 at 10:49pm
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2012 at 11:00pm
I thought about going Saturday night to see it, but I would've gone alone. Not that it bothers me, I just didn't want to be the creepy dude in the corner breathing heavy at inappropriate intervals, throwing back milk duds and slurpees and whatnot. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, with company that is.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 1:04am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Alright, Hunger Games the movie kicked some ass.

I disagree. It was mediocre at best.

Quote Totally more violent than I thought they'd show...

I agree that the violence is necessary given the story line, but this is NOT a selling point. Sure, it kept it real, but not by enough.

Quote ...The character development is superior to the book in every way.

Then the books must be terrible. There were many forced relationships between the lead actress and the other minor characters, from friendship to romantic, and simply not enough time to hash them out. The consequence of this was that pretty much ALL the relationships felt shallow and artificial, and I never felt the intended joy when something worked out or the pain when something didn't. Katniss NEVER changed as a character, which is something a battle royale to the death would seem to do. She was the same coming out as she was going in. Same complaint for the character Peeta.

Quote Donald Sutherland rocks his role as does the chick who plays Katniss. Of course, I could never get it out of the back of my head that I thought Haymitch was going to ask for a Twinkie at some point.

Aaaaaand that was it, really. Sutherland was in the movie for a total of 5 minutes, so that really doesn't count. Jennifer Lawrence did a good job, though her character wasn't really complex. I did facepalm a bit when Woody popped out, and the whole time I found myself asking "Is that Lenny Kravitz?" Turns out...

To top it all off, the ending seemed rushed (apparently this was a complaint with the books as well), and left far more questions than answers. There were a couple of gratuitous scenes that seemed like they could have been relevant had they been better explained (District II, anyone?) Also, there were more than a few technical issues I noticed (I used to practice archery...), but those can be overcome with suspense of disbelief. 

Really, it wasn't a BAD movie, but I'd have felt just as good renting it as I did watching it on the silver screen.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 1:24am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Then the books must be terrible. There were many forced relationships between the lead actress and the other minor characters, from friendship to romantic, and simply not enough time to hash them out. The consequence of this was that pretty much ALL the relationships felt shallow and artificial, and I never felt the intended joy when something worked out or the pain when something didn't.

Without trying to give too many spoilers away, that's actually the point. Kat doesn't have any real relationships other than with her sister and Gale, she doesn't really know how to act around other people, nor does she trust others at all. Her relationship with Peeta is forced and contrite because she IS forcing it and considers it just another necessary action to appease the crowd and survive. When she says on the train as they arrive in 12 "I just want to forget everything" she really means EVERYTHING, Peeta, their relationship in the arena, etc.

Quote Katniss NEVER changed as a character, which is something a battle royale to the death would seem to do. She was the same coming out as she was going in. Same complaint for the character Peeta.

What you have to realize about her character is that she's always been in a battle for her life. Her father died in a mine explosion when she was young, her mother went catatonic, they had no income, so she had to fight tooth and nail just to put food on the table to keep them alive. The games were just an extension of that. It's still survival, just of a different type. She doesn't change much in the book, and I've been critical of the lack of character development in the book itself, but "Catching Fire" starts making up for that, and by "Mockingjay" we really get a lot deeper with the characterization.

Quote Aaaaaand that was it, really. Sutherland was in the movie for a total of 5 minutes, so that really doesn't count. Jennifer Lawrence did a good job, though her character wasn't really complex. I did facepalm a bit when Woody popped out, and the whole time I found myself asking "Is that Lenny Kravitz?" Turns out...

Hey, I thought Kravitz did a damned good job as Cenna.

Quote To top it all off, the ending seemed rushed (apparently this was a complaint with the books as well), and left far more questions than answers. There were a couple of gratuitous scenes that seemed like they could have been relevant had they been better explained (District II, anyone?) Also, there were more than a few technical issues I noticed (I used to practice archery...), but those can be overcome with suspense of disbelief. 

Well, it IS just part one of a trilogy, and the end is definitely rushed in the first book. However, the district 11 riots are actually a bonus in this movie as they are only alluded to in the second book. I think that it actually does a good job of setting the story to show that the districts are a powder keg simply needing a spark to set them off. Really, my only big complaint is that they changed the back story on the mockingjay pin. In the books, one of Katniss' only friends gives it to her as a token to wear in the arena. It's kind of important because that pin belonged to the friend's aunt (the friend is the daughter of the governor of district 12 btw) who was a tribute the same year as Haymitch. That connection becomes fairly important in the second book.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 1:47am
Okay, I can see your point on Katniss's "character." My qualm with that is you would think that would be a perfect blank slate to develop a character from. In a battle royale type of situation, things will change. I don't care how much you've battled all your life, things will change within the person, and I would have liked some insight to that. Look at soldiers IRL. You go in, you kill a person, it changes you. War has been around for pretty much all of history, and it's STILL messing people up. In this story, that change should be even more drastic, as there really is not justification for the killing, other than they will kill you first. 

I can also see your point on the forced relationships, and I can see how that fit into the movie. I also thought about that myself, but I couldn't place how the relationship was supposed to be written. I tend to be cynical, so I figured it was just poor writing.

I don't want to discuss this much further (though I would like to) because, any more discussion will inevitably lead to spoilers. I am relieved to hear this is just the first part of the trilogy, and my hopes are once again raised. I was worried that they tried to cram the entire trilogy into one movie, and the movie really did feel like that to me.

In my defense, I went in to the movie blind. I have no idea of the backstory, movie development or actual novels themselves. I may pick them up now, just to see what I'm in for.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 2:51am
Yeah, I think it's one of those series (like Harry Potter was) where if you read the books AND see the movies, it ties everything together a whole lot better. I was impressed that it was 2:22 which is a pretty long run-time for a PG-13 movie based on a young-adult book.

Also, it'll take you all of a week to read all three book at the most.

Edit: I almost forgot, one important thing they do leave out is that the Tracker Jackets and "Muttations" (the dogs) were biological weapons cooked up by the Capitol to be used against the districts during the war. Same with the mockingjays. They made some bird that would eavesdrop on the districts and report back to the capitol troops, but the districts found out and started spreading disinformation. So the capitol just let the birds go thinking they'd die off, but they wound up intermixing with wild birds and surviving, hence her pin is a sign of defiance. Kinda important but left out.

Edited by tallen702 - 26 March 2012 at 2:56am
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 2:59am
Yeah, I was disappointed in the movie, but with this new information, I'll give the trilogy a read. It does give me a new appreciation for the film. 

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 7:45am
My brother and law and his wife went to see it. She'd read the books and was climbing the walls to get to the movie.
He'd never read any of it and had pretty much the same 'meh' attitude that I do.

His report was that it was a good movie, worth the watch.

So we'll see. Should the opportunity to dump Jr. on someone for a few hours arise, maybe I'll take a peek at it.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 8:48am
Saw it yesterday...

It was annoying that the director was such a fan of the "shaky" cam.... Holy cow, I go to the movies to see GOOD camera work. If I wanted shaky cam, I'd film it with my ZoomCam.

Seriously, it gave me a headache, my wife and kids thought the same.

This style of filming got popular in the 90's and it is so annoying. It is a total copout as they can skimp on the background sets, and action scenes as they know you can't see a darn thing with all the shakiness.

Great story, lots of complex issues that were glossed over and if you don't know someone who can explain it you will leave confused to a degree. As there is tons of backstory (like the mockingjays) that only people that read the book would understand.

I liked the film, had a blast with the family, didn't notice any cussing, or nudity. The action was well placed and good (cept the shakycam) and the sets were good. Based on the box office I would guess the next film will be much better as they will have the budget to really do it right.

I'd watch it again. (and I don't say that often).
They tremble at my name...
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Great story, lots of complex issues that were glossed over and if you don't know someone who can explain it you will leave confused to a degree. As there is tons of backstory (like the mockingjays) that only people that read the book would understand.

So I'm not the only one. I feel better...

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Holy cow, I go to the movies to see GOOD camera work. If I wanted shaky cam, I'd film it with my ZoomCam.

This style of filming got popular in the 90's and it is so annoying. It is a total copout as they can skimp on the background sets, and action scenes as they know you can't see a darn thing with all the shakiness.

QFT

This is why I have only seen one Bourne film. 
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 5:24pm
Was it in the same ballfield as "Cloverfield" shaky-cam?  That was a movie that left me with motion sickness and a grievous headache.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Was it in the same ballfield as "Cloverfield" shaky-cam?  That was a movie that left me with motion sickness and a grievous headache.

Not nearly so. I only saw it in the beginning when she's running through the woods, otherwise, it didn't bother me like Cloverfield did.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 7:44pm
**SPOILER**

I enjoyed the movie, but liked the books for for the sheer fact that someone who hasn't read the book doesn't get the subext of Katniss' relationships with the people.

One of the biggest struggles in Kat's head in the book is if she has feelings for Peeta... or is it Gale? No, it's Peeta. No it's Gale again. And back to Peeta. And now I hate Peeta, so back to Gale. However in the movie they make it seem like she's not wrestling with it at all.

Same with the relationship with Rue. In the book, she bonds with her, and she likens her to her own sister, Prim. However, in the movie, it seemed rushed and out of place when she cried over Rue.

I understand the constraints of moving from textual books to a movie, and the issues that come with that, but wish they'd find a way to portray her inner-mind as that's how most of the books are... her wrestling with decisions and what she's seeing. Good movie, looking forward to the next 3 (yes, 3, as the 3rd book will be split in to 2)

Edited by Linus - 26 March 2012 at 7:46pm

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:04pm
 I read them a while back. The first book was fairly good, quite a bit more subtext and meaning than you would expect from a book aimed for younger folks.

The second and third books definately aren't written as well. It's pretty obvious the first book was a hit so the publisher rushed the author for more. But even then there's a fairly decent story under there, it just feels like the latter books didn't get the polishing required to bring it out.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:16pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

I read them a while back. The first book was fairly good, quite a bit more subtext and meaning than you would expect from a book aimed for younger folks.

The second and third books definately aren't written as well. It's pretty obvious the first book was a hit so the publisher rushed the author for more. But even then there's a fairly decent story under there, it just feels like the latter books didn't get the polishing required to bring it out.

See, I found the opposite to be true. The first book seemed rushed with little character development. (you don't even know all the tributes' names) Meanwhile the second and third books (not done with #3 yet) tell a much more compelling and developed story for me. The first book was like pulp fiction. Easy to pick up, easy to put down. Book three for me is much more compelling, meaning I'm glad I'm on break right now, otherwise I'd be starved for sleep.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 8:01pm
Okay, just finished the first book. My opinions of the movie have been only slightly raised. For my biggest complaint, I agree with Linus. We could not get into Katniss's head in the movie, so all her relationships were hollow and empty. The book, being first-person, did a far better job giving us a glimpse into Katniss's thought process, which I think was necessary. What they did with the movie was a terrific representation of the book, however. Well, for what they managed to fit into the movie anyway. The character designs were pretty much spot on with the descriptions in the book, as well as the settings. But it was more of a multi-million dollar illustration than a recreation of the story.

I'm starting the second book soon.

Edited by DeTrevni - 31 March 2012 at 8:02pm

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 8:24pm
I loved the movie. That is all.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic