Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The U.S. Navy now has a working Railgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:51pm
I'd like to point out that this is still not as cool as rods from god, aka, kinetic bombardment.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:22pm
Agreed, but if you could build a railgun powerful enough to launch something into orbit, you could then drop said projectile from orbit and smash things with it. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Agreed, but if you could build a railgun powerful enough to launch something into orbit, you could then drop said projectile from orbit and smash things with it.

That's kinetic bombardment, but without the launch signature or propulsion required. And they dont count as orbital weapons (even though they are) so they're legal.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:35pm
Kinetic action yes that's how obama spreads legal love.
Sent from a phone booth
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Also, to tie into the space exploration thread, these things are a pretty big step forward in the quest for inexpensive methods to put stuff into orbit. Rail guns combined with scramjet technology is the way forward.

Yes, if you're trying to put a ball of superheated copper into orbit, railguns work fine. Electronics might take less kindly to such a trip Tongue  

But I do agree, if we can build one big enough, it would be about the best option for sending up fuel, or food to a space station. Sadly rockets remain the only option for any type of satellite launch.

I'm still holding out for a space elevator, if we can ever make a material light and strong enough for this to be practical.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 1:50am
Not true on the electronics .vs blazing ball of copper.

Railguns are actually better and slowly accelerating a large mass than they are at rapidly accelerating a small mass. This is one of the reasons a rail-GUN is rather hard to build.

An electromagnetic launch system would be much easier to build. It wouldn't shoot things into space to much as slowly accelerate them from zero to Mach 8 where a scramjet could take over, or possibly orbital velocity, but over a couple of KM and not 2m.

As keen as I am for a space elevator system, I think the next step should be a magnetic launch/scramjet setup.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Railguns are actually better and slowly accelerating a large mass than they are at rapidly accelerating a small mass. This is one of the reasons a rail-GUN is rather hard to build.

An electromagnetic launch system would be much easier to build. It wouldn't shoot things into space to much as slowly accelerate them from zero to Mach 8 where a scramjet could take over, or possibly orbital velocity, but over a couple of KM and not 2m.

As keen as I am for a space elevator system, I think the next step should be a magnetic launch/scramjet setup.

Now all I can imagine is essentially a maglev train with fins approaching on a electromagnetic rail that slowly curves upwards 90 as the vehicle approaches exit velocity.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:41am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Now all I can imagine is essentially a maglev train with fins approaching on a electromagnetic rail that slowly curves upwards 90 as the vehicle approaches exit velocity.

That's kinda the idea in a nutshell choop. Obviously a little more a little more complicated on the logistical side, but the basic idea is the same.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:56am
And now I can just imagine the initial run launching a shuttle size of a schoolbus into Paris. Haha
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:56am
^^^ Not a problem . . . I'm not all that fond of Paris.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:50pm
Eh, its a dirty, loud, giant city, but it has its redeeming qualities.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 6:04pm
Name one.  Go ahead, I dare you . . . I'll counter with the fact that it's full of mimes and French people.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 4:31am
The French people are fantastic. That whole "anti non French" sorta died out when the Nazi's left. I haven't had a bad trip to France and the guys in Paris have been especially friendly.

Have you ever played Ace Combat - Squadron Command? In it you have to protect a launch system from B2's dropping cruise missiles. It is basically a mag-lev track that slowly inclines to 90 degrees, which launches a Shuttle like aircraft.

You pretty much perfectly described it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System new steam catapaults for aircraft carriers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_sled_launch
Larger scale for space ships.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Name one. Go ahead, I dare you . . . I'll counter with the fact that it's full of mimes and French people.

Drinking wine from the bottle in public and climbing trees without hassle. Also, this, the bathroom at Creposuk:

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 5:25pm
I would much rather poop in there than my sister's Halloween-decorated bathrooms.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 5:58pm
Yeah, it was quite the experience. Quiet little cafe near Notre Dame, quietly playing really good music as the only woman working there sings along. And then you get up to go to the bathroom, and walk into that. Didn't expect it at all.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 7:40pm
Wow!  That alone is a good reason to drop a bomb on Paris . . . and the 70s.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 8:28pm
Wait where in the word is it a hassle to climb trees?
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/

Edited by Monk - 16 March 2012 at 8:55pm
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 3:42am
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Regina, Saskatchewan. The only trees there are planted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic