Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The U.S. Navy now has a working Railgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The U.S. Navy now has a working Railgun
    Posted: 13 March 2012 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by YouTube description YouTube description wrote:

A test shot fires from the Office of Naval Research-funded Electromagnetic Railgun prototype launcher located at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division. The test shots begin a month-long series of full-energy tests to evaluate the technology. This prototype, developed by BAE, is the first of two industry-built launchers that will bring the Department of the Navy a step closer to producing a new-generation, long-range, weapon for surface ships.

Edit: added description

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 13 March 2012 at 4:36pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 4:41pm
They've had it for a while.

Quote The United States Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division demonstrated an 8 MJ rail gun firing 3.2 kg projectiles in October 2006 as a prototype of a 64 MJ weapon to be deployed aboard Navy warships. The main problem the U.S. Navy has had with implementing a railgun cannon system is that the guns wear out due to the immense heat produced by firing. Such weapons are expected to be powerful enough to do a little more damage than a BGM-109 Tomahawk missile at a fraction of the projectile cost.[15] Since then, BAE Systems has delivered a 32 MJ prototype to the U.S. Navy.[16]
On January 31, 2008 the US Navy tested a railgun that fired a shell at 10.64 MJ with a muzzle velocity of 2,520 m/s.[17] Its expected performance is a muzzle velocity over 5,800 m/s, accurate enough to hit a 5 meter target over 200 nmi (370 km) away while firing at 10 shots per minute. The power was provided by a new 9-megajoule (MJ) prototype capacitor bank using solid-state switches and high-energy-density capacitors delivered in 2007 and an older 32-MJ pulse power system from the US Army’s Green Farm Electric Gun Research and Development Facility developed in the late 1980s that was previously refurbished by General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (EMS) Division.[18] It is expected to be ready between 2020 to 2025.[19]
The most recent test of a railgun took place on December 10, 2010, by the US Navy at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division.[20] During the test, the Office of Naval Research set a world record by conducting a 33 MJ shot from the railgun, which was built by BAE Systems.[21][22]

That test footage is over 2 years old bubba.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 5:22pm
Why is there an explosion if it's a railgun? I assume an initial acceleration so the magnets aren't doing all the work, but merely super accelerating it?

Also, for fun, you can build your own rail gun at home with a meter stick with a groove in it, neodynium magnets, tape, and ball bearings.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Why is there an explosion if it's a railgun? I assume an initial acceleration so the magnets aren't doing all the work, but merely super accelerating it?

Also, for fun, you can build your own rail gun at home with a meter stick with a groove in it, neodynium magnets, tape, and ball bearings.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you're seeing the same effects of friction Tallen was talking about. Accelerating a piece of metal to those velocities will produce enormous amounts of friction on not only the barrel but the air around the projectile. It looks like that's a plume of super-heated air.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I suspect you're seeing the same effects of friction Tallen was talking about. Accelerating a piece of metal to those velocities will produce enormous amounts of friction on not only the barrel but the air around the projectile. It looks like that's a plume of super-heated air.

I really, really wanted to guess this. I had it all typed up and everything.

However, I know next to nothing about science, so I deleted it and left the thread with my head hung low.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 7:25pm
Pretty old news for my resources.  Maybe I should let some cats out of the bag
Sent from a phone booth
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 8:50pm
It's the heat generated by the almost instantaneous acceleration of the copper plug they fire from a dead stop to Mach 8 (with the 32MJ version, even more with the 64MJ version) basically causing unimaginable friction and a massive sonic boom in a confined space which ignites the air around the projectile. In short, it's going so fast so quickly that it catches the goddamned air on fire.

Also, to tie into the space exploration thread, these things are a pretty big step forward in the quest for inexpensive methods to put stuff into orbit. Rail guns combined with scramjet technology is the way forward.

Edited by tallen702 - 13 March 2012 at 8:52pm
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 9:20pm
OLD
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 9:42pm
Looks like the projectile has a lot of wobble, but that may be from hitting that target. It would seem that despite blazing velocities, accuracy could be an issue especially factoring in wind drift. Needs a guided projectile. Furthermore, while it has great range and low flight-time compared to a tomahawk, it seems like it will be limited in the immediate future due to wear, and the lack of destroyers with an electric drive to run it. If they want something that kicks ass with a low projectile cost, why not take a battleship with 16" guns out of mothballs again? It seems like the perfect tool to clear the Straight of Hormuz with. That and some of the new super-fast cruise missiles in development would give us a lot of options until we have deploy-able railguns.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Looks like the projectile has a lot of wobble, but that may be from hitting that target. It would seem that despite blazing velocities, accuracy could be an issue especially factoring in wind drift. Needs a guided projectile. Furthermore, while it has great range and low flight-time compared to a tomahawk, it seems like it will be limited in the immediate future due to wear, and the lack of destroyers with an electric drive to run it. If they want something that kicks ass with a low projectile cost, why not take a battleship with 16" guns out of mothballs again? It seems like the perfect tool to clear the Straight of Hormuz with. That and some of the new super-fast cruise missiles in development would give us a lot of options until we have deploy-able railguns.

There's been a lot in the past that the Missouri would be fitted with these, but we really don't have any Iowa Class battleships that are capable of being pulled from mothball since all 4 of the ones we had have been struck from the rosters and handed over to museums since 2006.

That said, the fire control center technology is so good these days that the computer will take all the factors you just mentioned into account and still land a kinetic projectile on target almost as accurately as a laser-guided bomb. The rail gun project is much more about accurate, surgical strikes to incapacitate enemy command and control services than any kind of broad destructive power. Removing the enemy's ability to wage war, rather than killing them, has been the goal of the "kinder, gentler" US Military for decades, and really, we've been pretty damned successful when using these methods in a conventional warfare setting. If you look at Gulf 1 & 2, we accomplished the invasion and defeat of the Iraqi military swiftly and with a minimal loss of life on both sides. The same goes for the majority of our other military actions of recent memory. Whether or not it's good policy is still out for debate as a disarmed opponent still has ideology to fight with whereas a dead opponent simply cannot fight.

Regardless, these are amazing weapons and I think we'll see them get used in the not-too-distant future. Punching a nice, big copper slug into the control center for a uranium enrichment facility at Mach 8 for example, would be much preferable to slinging in a bunch of missiles strewn with defense contractor names on the parts and USA painted down the side at the same target. Gee DPRK, we're sorry about your crippled facilities, but it's really unfortunate that big ball of metal just fell out of the sky. Meteorites are just so damned unpredictable.....

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 10:45pm
Never said it was new, gents. Tongue

Also, I'm sure some people here haven't seen this footage.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 13 March 2012 at 10:48pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:11am

Originally posted by rofl+Mao rofl+Mao wrote:

The U.S. Navy now has a working Railgun

yes you did

Edited by The Guy - 14 March 2012 at 12:11am
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 3:18am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

It's the heat generated by the almost instantaneous acceleration of the copper plug they fire from a dead stop to Mach 8 (with the 32MJ version, even more with the 64MJ version) basically causing unimaginable friction and a massive sonic boom in a confined space which ignites the air around the projectile. In short, it's going so fast so quickly that it catches the goddamned air on fire.

Also, to tie into the space exploration thread, these things are a pretty big step forward in the quest for inexpensive methods to put stuff into orbit. Rail guns combined with scramjet technology is the way forward.

Perfect explanation, thank you. Also Tallen are you familiar with Dyson Spheres/ Dyson Swarms? I just started reading up on them the other day and they're incredibly interesting.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 7:13am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

yes you did

Just because you have something now, doesn't mean you didn't have it before. Wink
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:29pm
The "fire" you see is Plasma.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 1:00pm

I know. It is cool. I just felt like I had to get one last "OLD" out of me. The forum has moved on from the its earlier times.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:48pm
$500000 tomahawk vs $58 copper slug

The issue with the rail gun is a platform that can handle an electrical drain that it causes. I personally would like to see a couple battleships stripped out and 2 nuclear reactors put in there. With modern automated systems found on ships today this system would not only be an amazing war fighter but save the navy money and be an excellent show of power.

Nothings says I came to *mess crap* up like a battleship.

EDIT: Then again, I might be jaded, I would like to be stationed on a BB lol.

Edited by Monk - 14 March 2012 at 8:49pm
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:17pm
My inside source at the Navy (lol ShortyBP yall!) Said that there was a class of ship that that was planned to carry these, but they decided to fit the two that they've purchased from BAE systems onto modified Burke-Class Destroyers instead. Mind you, they canceled the other ship class due to costs as the Burke class was cheaper.... until they started kitting them out to be more effective fighters, which drove up the costs, and now they're just as expensive as the un-named class. Your tax dollars at work folks!

Also, battleships haven't had an effective combat role since the end of WWII. With our medium and short-range missile capabilities, there's no real reason to go lobbing HE rounds from the coast anymore.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Also, battleships haven't had an effective combat role since the end of WWII. With our medium and short-range missile capabilities, there's no real reason to go lobbing HE rounds from the coast anymore.

Time, cost, and space. Once the rail guns and their power supplies are figured out, you can pack immense firepower into small platforms. Dozens of rounds can be stored in a space the size of a small bathroom. The price allows the military to over stock on ammunition, which can be made of damn near anything that can take the force (as it's the Sabot that gets accelerated).

Energy can be reduced for closer or weaker targets, which means there is a ton of flexibility in its use. The projectiles, even if the navigation systems will be hackable or jammable, would not be able to turn around. Any missile that requires external navigation could be turned. 

Further still: small, incredibly fast projectiles are more difficult to detect and intercept. And since directed energy is useless over a horizon, we will still need physical weapons in the absence of aircraft.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic