Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kony 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kony 2012
    Posted: 09 March 2012 at 5:22pm
It makes me sad that I am the first to post this, shows how slow it is here.

Anyway, everyone has either seen or read about Kony 2012, and the response is usually one of the three:

OMG Knoy is terrible, I must retweet this.

'MERICA YEA! Screw Africa, because OBAMA AND THE GADDANG LIBERALS WE R 14 TRILLION IN DET

Or a response like mine. 

Crap, I have to go somewhere. I will finish this later.

Edited by SSOK - 09 March 2012 at 5:23pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 5:36pm
I prefer the responses that point out the scam that Invisible Children is running. Only something like 35% of the money they take in goes to actually supporting any efforts in Uganda.

Also, I don't think this is a spot where we should be stepping in as a country(versus unified support through the UN). We already pay a huge portion of the UN budget, and part of the UN's job is to deal with things like this.

I also don't like that if someone puts together a video telling college age kids they are the ones changing the world by sharing a video, I get accosted with it 50 times a day. Especially considering 99% of those sharers didn't do any research into what they were putting out on the internet.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 6:04pm
My exact response...

I'd love to see Joseph Kony's face when he next logs onto facebook.
In all seriousness, we get it. You don't support violence, rape or child exploitation but gony wrap this? its doing my nut in. 

Something to read in the meantime:
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/ 
I've not given it a lot of attention but raises a point.
visiblechildren.tumblr.com

Edited by scotchyscotch - 09 March 2012 at 6:06pm
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 7:19pm
Between the spam filter and me having to leave, my first post was botched. 

Anyway, a great sum up of how I feel can be explained by a conversation with my RA. I was walking with him and noticed a bunch of the stickers, and after some small talk he said "You know, I support the cause and all but I really don't want to get deployed again, I just want to graduate".

I dont see any "Real" solution that is worth the effort. Too many American deaths would take place before Kony is stopped.

Yes, the UN could step in, but I am sure the Russians, French, and Brazillians will be willing to commit the troops.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:16pm
Growing up sucks. A few years back, this thread would already be locked from the flaming and arguing.

Now we all have the same, "Eh, I gotta life to live" shrug and walk away response

I have no comment on the issue itself because frankly child murder and the LRA are such old topics that any attempt at outrage just shows how little my generation really cares about Africa.

It wasn't long ago that the LRA marched a couple hundred kids having them kill and burn each other along the way.

Now obviously the initial reaction is "OMG WHY AREN'T WE THERE FIRIN SOME LASERS", and for the Facebook drones that's perfectly fine. But for the rest of us there's the stark reality that this country A:) generally only moves large amounts of troops when there's a threat / benefit involved (start Iraq argument here), and B:) has played an advisory role in Africa for quite some time.

Again, I know next to nothing about Africa's place in the world political scheme, but I do know that it generally annoys me when someone thinks that hitting the "Like" button on a Facebook status suddenly turns you into a human rights crusader. It then absolutely infuriates me when I see crap like "YOU HAVE A VOICE IF YOU DON'T USE IT YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM" (actual Facebook quote in actual caps.)

I don't feel like reposting the pic, but a guy on my FB put up a play on the LOTR meme that said "One does not simply like a status to destabilize a Ugandan warlord."
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:22pm
In B4 EE shows up to tell you all to do your effing research and realize that the US has sent hundreds of Special Forces teachers to train Ugandan SF forces to track and kill this guy.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I prefer the responses that point out the scam that Invisible Children is running. Only something like 35% of the money they take in goes to actually supporting any efforts in Uganda.

I don't believe they've ever claimed to be a predominantly aid-based organization. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:39pm
My personal opinion of the actual Ugandan situation aside, it's a little disheartening that a generally good piece of information went around social networking platforms, and in almost no time flat was met with a flooding level of cynicism. As much as millennials get a good reputation for collective activism and optimism, there are a lot of people who are either pessimistic or are just too cool for school. 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

In B4 EE shows up to tell you all to do your effing research and realize that the US has sent hundreds of Special Forces teachers to train Ugandan SF forces to track and kill this guy.

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

and B:) has played an advisory role in Africa for quite some time.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

My personal opinion of the actual Ugandan situation aside, it's a little disheartening that a generally good piece of information went around social networking platforms, and in almost no time flat was met with a flooding level of cynicism. As much as millennials get a good reputation for collective activism and optimism, there are a lot of people who are either pessimistic or are just too cool for school. 

I think the cynicism I've seen hasn't been directed at the issue of travesties in Africa so much as the reaction of the FB drama llamas.

Genocide and bad things have been happening in Africa for a long time, most of us have at least a partial awareness of it (Darfur is one of the most publicized celebrity causes out there), and so when some duck face starts going off on OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING it generally invokes a large amount of facepalm from the majority who both knew about and were bothered by world events most of their life.

It's the traditional American obliviousness.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 12:12am

and so when some duck face starts going off on OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING it generally invokes a large amount of facepalm from the majority who both knew about and were bothered by world events most of their life.

It just seems overly pessimistic to look down on someone, or be overly cynical, about someone learning about an issue they didn't know about before. 

When I see people who otherwise never knew or cared about any sort of world event start to care because of something like the Invisible Children promotions (I honestly saw more of this with their GNC and Displace Me events, but that was also when I was a freshman in undergraduate, when a lot of people are learning about foreign events for the first time) it makes me happy, and I hope it sparks their interest in these things. It doesn't matter if it was just because it was a hot trend item on Facebook, they've seen it, and now they have the potential to do something to help, even if it's something small. 

It seems like fostering that attitude is way more beneficial (And less gloomy, emotionally) than scoffing and going "Pffft, you didn't know about that before now? Lame." 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 12:40am
I think we just view it differently. Especially in your line of work I understand that spreading knowledge is important.

But this, this reminds of when the "politics are lame" people read one catchy headline and suddenly post ten page rants
about Obama taking their rights. Completely oblivious to the world around them until it becomes a Facebook headline.

I don't think it's overly gloomy or pessimistic to hold people to a certain standard of awareness. I'm not saying that everyone should be political gurus or spend their entire day studying newspapers, God knows I don't, but if you're in your mid 20's and had no idea people were being murdered in Africa you've almost made effort to be ignorant.

I think it's great that this campaign has spread awareness, as I stated before my beef isn't with the video at all, it's the sad state of unaware we live in when we're surrounded by free information.

That's as much a criticism of myself as the duck faces.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 3:43am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I will be the first one to admit that I stopped reading after what I quoted from Tallen because it made me laugh and also made me sad at the same time. Unfortunately though, EE would be more correct on this one than most think (though we weren't there in the thousands).

Let me preface this by saying we all get it, I "operated."

I have seen many deployments in a lot of areas that people knew and didn't know we were even in. The U.S. SF teams are largely based in countries as QRF or "advisers" to help train local forces and/or conduct missions of our own. You will mostly see that the Green Beret units are the ones doing a lot of the advising as part of their MO is to go in and train the local militia. However, I have been attached to units acting as special advisers to local forces in many areas. I have been to Africa, I have seen what goes on there. We did "things" and saw "stuff" that I couldn't describe even if I could as the powers that be down there just run the place in to the ground. I will quote one of the CO's we had a sit down with prior to conducting a few standard field ops in the region:

CO: "Today's mission is to blah blah blah in blah blah province/corner/turd-hole. *After briefing he sets down the mission packet to look at everyone and said* Now, if this were to be done my way we would pack our bags and leave this *expletive* hole and go where we can make a difference. If we let the skinnies kill each other things might change faster than if we intervened."

Shocking to some, but that was/is the mentality of a lot of troops in the area. The gov't if you want to call it that is so unstable and just as corrupt as any other that killing one warlord dictator just puts another one who will end up being worse in power. Kony has been in hiding since 06, and the people of Uganda have all felt a sense of peace since then. In fact, some say it has been the most peace the region has seen in decades. Yes, he was a bad guy and still is. But we are 6 years too late for bandwagon jump-ons who want to make a difference. 

I would go back to Africa in a heart beat. I felt like it was an area that needed more attention than it has ever received but the amount we would have to spend to make the area stable via intervention would piss of the tax payers something fierce. 

I could go on for days, but for gods sake take it from someone who has been to the area and donate to the right places; not Invisible Children. If you can't pick up a gun, pick up a check and send something off to Africare or the Red Cross as they actually help. 
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 9:25am
nice spam filter
Sent from a phone booth
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 9:41am
I slept through the day this blew up on reddit/the internet.

Henceforth I don't know what it's talking about.

and don't care.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 9:53am

and so when some duck face starts going off on OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING it generally invokes a large amount of facepalm from the majority who both knew about and were bothered by world events most of their life.

It just seems overly pessimistic to look down on someone, or be overly cynical, about someone learning about an issue they didn't know about before. 

When I see people who otherwise never knew or cared about any sort of world event start to care because of something like the Invisible Children promotions (I honestly saw more of this with their GNC and Displace Me events, but that was also when I was a freshman in undergraduate, when a lot of people are learning about foreign events for the first time) it makes me happy, and I hope it sparks their interest in these things. It doesn't matter if it was just because it was a hot trend item on Facebook, they've seen it, and now they have the potential to do something to help, even if it's something small. 

It seems like fostering that attitude is way more beneficial (And less gloomy, emotionally) than scoffing and going "Pffft, you didn't know about that before now? Lame." 

It has nothing to do with me being cynical or too cool for school. I just took the time out of my day to do some further research into Invisible Children after seeing the video(so their movement worked there), and didn't like what I saw.  The man uses his films to fund his own jaunts around the world and his films, while claiming its all an effort to empower the youth and save lives.

I have zero problem with people wanting to become more informed in the plights in other portions of the world, and if they decide to donate to a cause that directly benefits those places? Great. If the videos actually explained what people could do to help in those situations? Even better.

But what he does is use his movement to generate income for his organization, while making his "message" that we need to pressure Congress to do something. It's a little deceptive in my opinion.

Also, this.

Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

Shocking to some, but that was/is the mentality of a lot of troops in the area. The gov't if you want to call it that is so unstable and just as corrupt as any other that killing one warlord dictator just puts another one who will end up being worse in power. Kony has been in hiding since 06, and the people of Uganda have all felt a sense of peace since then. In fact, some say it has been the most peace the region has seen in decades. Yes, he was a bad guy and still is. But we are 6 years too late for bandwagon jump-ons who want to make a difference. 

The Ugandan government isn't exactly a girl scout troop of humane actions. You're basically picking the lesser of two evils, where the lesser evil is a corrupt, mass-murdering dictator who has done plenty of damage on his own to his people.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 10 March 2012 at 9:56am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

...donate to the right places; not Invisible Children. If you can't pick up a gun, pick up a check and send something off to Africare or the Red Cross as they actually help. 

This sums up the whole topic. Why donate to an organization that only uses 31% of donations to help the ones they film. Also they are a day late and a dollar short with the video.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 1:45pm

Flint style is the best hands down.

fully dressed.  I like mine upside down, dry chili and with katchup

Edited by Lightningbolt - 10 March 2012 at 1:54pm
Sent from a phone booth
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 3:55pm
Saw this gem on my newsfeed.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 4:04pm

That was me.

Though not criticizing the message, just the organization and its shadiness.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic