Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need help from historical buffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help from historical buffs
    Posted: 07 March 2012 at 7:47pm
The name Kearsarge is one of two names mandated by congress to stay in naval warship use. What is the other?

I fear my googlefoo is not strong enough for this one. I need help.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 10:25pm
I've never seen anything about congress mandating a name be continuously used by naval warships. I do know that acts of congress can be used to name ships and that they have used acts to mandate that ships be named a certain way (All battleships are to be named after states perpetually) but never an act mandating that a certain name always be in use. There was a provision at one point which stated that any ship lost in battle was to have its name used in a future vessel.

Also, there are distinct gaps in the history of the US Navy in which Kearsarge was not an active name on the lists. The period from 1974 to 1993 for example, had no ship named "Kearsarge" on the list of US naval vessels.

Now, two interesting things of note:

1) There has never been, (and probably never will be) another naval vessel named "USS Arizona." Of all the ships sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor, it is the only name to never be assigned to another vessel despite the fact that it is no longer commissioned.

2) The USS Constitution has perpetually remained commissioned and in service since she was originally built. Furthermore, there has been no other vessel on the US naval register to bear her name (though in 1923 or so, a Lexington Class cruiser was to bear the same name but was never completed).

Mayhaps those are the facts you were looking for?
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 11:17pm
I have seen the USS Constitution (and New Jersey, but that is unrelated). If you are around Boston, I reccomend it.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 11:19pm
If there's another one, it's probably the Enterprise. I think when we commissioned the Constitution, we also comimssioned 3 others who's names have been used multiple times. 
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:08am
Could be ESSEX. Not sure though. We've had I think 6 ships named ESSEX so far.
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:10am
Also, another neat history look up is USS PUEBLO. Only US ship to be captured and still in commission.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 1:00pm
The USS Esses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic