Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quarter Mil' Y'all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Yeah, we're the most expensive in the world now I think, more than NYC. Our cabs are also the most expensive because they wont issue new licenses, so a smallish group (comparitively) is servicing the whole city.

My 2 bedroom apartment is $1300 a month. (total, not each)

Dude, I make like 2K a month which is really good for this area. No way I could afford 1300 a month for rent.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Yeah, we're the most expensive in the world now I think, more than NYC. Our cabs are also the most expensive because they wont issue new licenses, so a smallish group (comparitively) is servicing the whole city.

My 2 bedroom apartment is $1300 a month. (total, not each)

Dude, I make like 2K a month which is really good for this area. No way I could afford 1300 a month for rent.

Yeah most of us have a hard time too, and will never own. Thankfully we have a good minimum wage ($10.25) which helps.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 9:25pm
Yeah that's a good minimum.

Part of my issue is that school limits my hours. I work 32 hours a weekend and get on call pay, so my 16 bucks an hour goes a long way. Otherwise, most jobs around here barely pay enough to make it. I can't imagine working minimum wage in this country (like 7 bucks?)
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 9:27pm
Yeah there are a lot of things about the US that make me wonder how it even has a shot at pretending to be the "best" country. A terrible minimum wage, and a system that totally screws serving staff out of the required minimum, and no universal healthcare. I can't imagine working for $5 an hour and trying to pay for....anything.

I had surgery last month and the most expensive part was the cab home after.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 9:54pm
I think that most humans develop a survival reaction that is content with its' environment. That contentment translates to a feeling of superiority.

My view of survival is limited to my own surroundings, but I clear double the minimum wage and can't afford a decent apartment plus a car payment and it infuriates me when people judge minimum wage workers as lazy or useless for living with their parents. If I made minimum wage in America, I'd certainly be living with my folks. Hell, I make double that and live with my sis.

I still love my country though...it's just not as easy to make it as many think. Especially with full time college.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 10:11pm
I refinanced to 3.5% APR, but nowhere close to 250k. I think people always find a way to spend close to what they make. I moved out making $6.50 an hour and managed to survive. Now at 20+ an hour I still think I have the same amount of money in the account as I did back then.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 5:35am
We pay 1625/mo in rent and utilities for 900sqft right now. That's considered cheap for 3br 1ba where we are. You just learn to adapt to where you are. In the same job I'm at now, but in a different area, I'd only be making 40k/year. Add in the fact that my wife should be earning 50-70k for the job she's doing (and will be shortly) and we'd be well over 120k/year gross. It's all relative. We wouldn't make that kind of money back where we come from, but the housing and everything else would be cheaper. I make nearly 20k more than the average American household does just by myself. The advantage to what we face here is that when we buy our house, and sock away a lot of that higher-end earning potential into our retirement accounts, we can sometime down the road, and make out like bandits. My company has contracts EVERYWHERE, so selling our 250k house in 3 years may net us a nice chunk of change to buy an even better house somewhere less expensive to live. Add in the fact that my company keeps my salary the same even if I move to a lower cost of living state, and we'll be living rather well in a few years or more.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:06am
What does the average American household make?
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:27am
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

BO or DO?
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

Household income figures actually split the income into two on the basis of there being two income earners in each household. That said, its right at $31,000 on the PPP index. If you look at the Mean income which is based on total income per household, it's $65,000. Either way, I'm either well over it, or right in line with it.

P.S. not trying to toot my own horn by any means, just trying to give some relevant figures to add weight to the costs of living in various areas. As FE said earlier, $70k in NYC actually works out to less than he got in OH when all is said and done. One of the issues both my wife and I have faced is that when presented with salary offers early in our careers that looked fantastic to us, they were actually lower than what we should have taken for the area. We both come from less-expensive areas of the nation, so my first salaried gig as a executive sous with BBRG looked fantastic to me at $45k, when really I should have asked for $60-$65 which is what the other sous wound up making.

Edited by tallen702 - 02 March 2012 at 8:34am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:46am
Data on houshold income isn't available for the "During Obama" time period... Most people have taken a big hit, as they were making much more "Before Obama"...

Raising the minimum wage only increases the cost of living as all costs increase so your dollar buys less.

If you want more of something, you lower the costs. If you want less of something you increase the costs.

That is the problem liberal governments often forget, as they increase taxes to "raise" revenues, and the exact opposite result always occurs.

They tremble at my name...
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:47am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

One of the issues both my wife and I have faced is that when presented with salary offers early in our careers that looked fantastic to us, they were actually lower than what we should have taken for the area. We both come from less-expensive areas of the nation, so my first salaried gig as a executive sous with BBRG looked fantastic to me at $45k, when really I should have asked for $60-$65 which is what the other sous wound up making.

This was one of the main bits of advice my father gave to me when I was looking for a job when I graduated last year.  One of my friends got a job offer in California and it turned out to be the same situation FE was in with New York.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:52am
Ugh... if I wasn't having a wedding, I could be buying a house right now.  
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 4:18pm
I just moved in to a new apartment that is 520sq/ft and pay $895/mo in rent not including any utilities. I'm not ready to take advantage of my gov't loan capabilities just yet. problem is, in my area houses start in the low 500k. Granted I do not have to stay here, but WA has the highest wages in the U.S. and I am currently waiting to hear if a job opening will come up in a company I am interested in working for. 
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 6:45pm
I make just over $70k per year, and just over $5k per month.  My rent for my 1000ish sq foot apartment is a little over 1800/month, with all utilities other than electric included.  
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

I just moved in to a new apartment that is 520sq/ft and pay $895/mo in rent not including any utilities. I'm not ready to take advantage of my gov't loan capabilities just yet. problem is, in my area houses start in the low 500k. Granted I do not have to stay here, but WA has the highest wages in the U.S. and I am currently waiting to hear if a job opening will come up in a company I am interested in working for. 
What did you end up deciding to do?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

What did you end up deciding to do?

He's been working on that gold flakes and oil pipeline to your house.

Seriously though, I hear his new job involves a dirty rag, and old squeegee, and a bottle of watered-down Windex underneath and overpass....
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 2:59am
Actually Tallen, It's last weeks news paper rather than a dirty rag. Other than that, nailed it.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 8:50am

Actually Tallen, It's last weeks news paper rather than a dirty rag. Other than that, nailed it.

You and Whale should get together, form a union. Between his sweet hobo beard and your old newspaper, the sky's the limit! Well.... not really the sky, but a nice extra large refrigerator box to call home.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 9:42am
Buy a house with a 3rd bedroom so you can take in any poor public servants if they happen to move that way Wink
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic