Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I hate bumper stickers... But. Ok, I'll rock that!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hate bumper stickers... But. Ok, I'll rock that!
    Posted: 25 January 2012 at 11:21am
So normally I don't like to put anything on the back of my car.

But, I needed to test out this new product we can produce, and I had this idea rattling around in my head.

I finally did it this morning.

And when I hit the brakes.

I finished up my ZoomCam mount two nights ago too, big game this weekend to try it out.

They tremble at my name...
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 11:28am
that's actually kind of cool
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 11:29am
Nice job! Here in the DC area, that'd get you a failed inspection putting the sticker over the light, but I like how you did it none the less!

How heavy is that Sony camera rig? does it balance out once you've got a tank on the ASA?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 11:36am
It is very light actually, (I haven't weighed it, but I would imagine it is about 3 pounds total additional weight) when I was designing it, one of my goals was that it would be balanced, as I've been playing with it on the right side of my gun, and it pulled that way...

This one is perfect for the way I play (remote coil, so no added weight from a tank).

Here it is just resting on my hand, I'm not holding it at all and it is perfectly balanced!

Here is my ZoomCam in Action if you haven't seen what it can do... This was with my old mounting method, from a few weeks ago at my field.

1:07 is why I wear a neck guard... And 1:40 is for all the guys that say "I HIT YOU... YOU'RE OUT"...

Sometimes our eyes can't see what the HD video camera can. (watch in 720 or 1080, for some reason youtube is messing up lately on uploads and it slo mo's entire videos in different resolutions... weird)

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 25 January 2012 at 11:48am
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 11:53am
What are you watching in the left background? A hanging?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:02pm
Looks like Blazing Saddles Cess ;)

Very cool FE, your whole rig is pretty impressive. Someday school will turn into a normal job and I'll have time for interesting hobbies
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

What are you watching in the left background? A hanging?

lol, yeah... Just some of my home movies...

Actually, it was a history channel show on shooting, trying to prove or disprove sniper ability to sharpshoot a rope and save someone from hanging. Pretty cool show. I wish I had a 20,000 frame per second camera... The fun I could have with one of those!
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:30pm
That is very cool. Both the decal and the rig.

Why a handycam rig though and not a dedicated sports cam setup?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:32pm
All I have to say about the zoomed footage is "Wow!" Getting to see the ball curve like that is pretty damned awesome! Nice set-up. Best gun-cam footage I've ever seen actually.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

That is very cool. Both the decal and the rig.

Why a handycam rig though and not a dedicated sports cam setup?

KBK

I've tried the action cam thing, (I use a contour Roam for my helmet cam) but you can't SEE the hits... Or the paint flying... As they are designed for about 50 feet or closer only. I tried playing and waiting to shoot players until they were that close. It can be done (see my other videos) but it is HARD, and you get shot a TON. So I wanted to play my regular style AND capture my shots on players even out to 300 feet. My eyes can't even see that far so I knew I had to go to a zoom cam.

To film paintball properly you have to have zoom, and tons of image stabilization, as well as the highest resolution (I film in 1080). I play with my gun cam at 4X or 5X all the time. And you have to adjust how you play. A normal player hits a guy, and switches to the next target quickly... With filming while playing you have to shoot the guy, and keep the camera ON him without moving it around. Quite tricky unless you are an experienced cameraman (especially since you have no viewfinder, you are doing this totally based on feel of where you THINK the camera is aiming).

It isn't for everyone, but the added difficulty is really enjoyable for me. I love getting good video shooting my friends! Plus, I am now a youtube provider, so I get paid for each thousand views, and if people click on my ads, I get a piece of that too... Doubt it will ever make me real money, but an extra hundred here or there is fine with me!

I will hit 200,000 views in the next few days, which is shocking to me, since I pretty much only play in my backyard at my private field with my friends, and yet I have subscribers from all over the world watching my stuff. It isn't uncommon for one of my videos to drop and hit 1,000 views in less than a week.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 2:18pm
Ah good points.

Would a wire frame or a WWII style AA-gunsight work to help you frame your shots?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 2:44pm

Nice video.  This is the first good video that i've seen demonstrating the Apex.  Every other one I've seen is terrible.

What's the difference between the apex and apex2? 

Edited by Lightningbolt - 25 January 2012 at 2:44pm
Sent from a phone booth
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 2:49pm
Nice decal, I'd love to be able to print my own.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 3:07pm
Tallen, Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with what I can capture now, as all paintball videos I had seen didn't do the sport justice... And FPS perspective is just cool anyway.

Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

Nice video.  This is the first good video that i've seen demonstrating the Apex.  Every other one I've seen is terrible.

What's the difference between the apex and apex2? 

Here is a video I made a while ago on the Apex 2.

The new style Apex 2 is much better in some ways, and worse in others. First off, both have 9 clicks of adjustment. Which confuses new players to ramping... And they don't really talk about where you should set it....

I leave my Apex 2 at 3-4 clicks for about 90% of my play. If I need to divebomb, or shoot around trees, I go full ramp (9 clicks) and then change back as soon as I elminate the player. The trick shots of the Apex 2 are MUCH better than the original as you can shot over bunkers at 80 feet! The old one you needed about 140 feet for the dive bomb to work. I plan on doing a video showing the capability now that I have the camera set up in a way I can capture the paint flight path.

The Apex 2 can be taken apart without a tool, so that is nice. The ramp is longer and fits more snuggly against the barrel meaning more of the paint hits the ramp when it exits the barrel (the old style was down a little so it was a little less consistant).

Things I don't like about it, It is harder to adjust, as the button moves up and down and with gloves, sometimes it pushes down instead of clicking into the next spot. But, it looks WAY better than the original. (mine are the first batch, so it doesn't have the empire logo like the production ones).

Both work well, and I used the shorter barrel with my Apex 2 tip until now, (my zoomcan needed the extra length) So we shall see how l like playing with a long barrel gun...

As always paint is critical, and the infinity I am shooting isn't as good as the old Xball Scenario I use to use, but it is orange and shows up WAY better than the camo woodsball paint I was using. Even though it isn't as accurate.

Everyone tries to shoot me out first in Revolutionary war, as I have literally shot out the entire other side by myself before when using good paint at 150 feet... So often I am one of the first to get hit, as EVERYONE shoots at me! lol. In the beginning of that game you can see 3 different paintballs almost hit me... And that was just the right side of me as the camera was over there! More paint was coming in on the other side! Fun times!

Choop, if this stuff lasts like they say it will, I'll let you know when we start selling it... As ordering one won't be that much... (course you are in Canada, and shipping would kill you...)
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 5:49pm
decal = mega-cool.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 5:56pm
Thanks FE, I was thinking more of having the ability to print my own designs. I have considered buying a personal vinyl plotter, since you can get a printer sized one for around $100 now, and could recoup some of the cost selling laptop decals and such.

Basically I just wish I had a 3D printer, laser cutter, vinyl plotter, and commercial printer in my house, and could just print things.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Ah good points.

Would a wire frame or a WWII style AA-gunsight work to help you frame your shots?

KBK

Hmm... Never considered that...

With my old mounting method it would move around, if you bumped it. This new one is stationary and a lot more stable, so a sight might actually work. I rarely pull the gun all the way up to my shoulder to fire though, as I shoot from the hip often, and I'm really good at pointing a camera at my subject without having to look through a sight. (years of filming bmx and other action sports freehand, where you only get ONE chance to capture the footage!).

Here is a video that shows the distance capabilities of my gear and why a ZoomCam is so much better than an action cam. Again, this footage is from my last event 12/31/11. Watch it in HD to see the best quality. (720 is fine)

Content is king in media... So learning to film this way, AND putting out 1080 footage will give me a product that will be desireable for a long time (I own the rights to all of this stuff, as I use my own graphics, and royalty free music), as I would think anyone involved in paintball would be interested in watching something like this... Long term, each view is money, and each ad click is money, that I only have to do the work once, and it is a long term revenue stream (Dave Ramsey would be proud). Especially when everyone gets fiber... And cable and satellite are gone and everyone gets their TV over the internet...

The long term possibility of making money from this stuff makes all the work worth it... I hope...

I'm glad you guys like it. I've had a vision in my head for years, but it has taken this long to figure out how to capture what I see in a way that is interesting to watch.

The shocking thing is, I was always under the assumption that any type of footage like this was like any other hand held footage, in that 90% of it should end up on the edit room floor...

But, I really think combining it with the helmet cam which tells the story of the game and then switching to the zoomcam for the shots, makes the video much more interesting as the viewer actually feels like THEY are the ones playing...

If that makes sense.

I would love to hear your perspectives on this, as clearly I am biased.

Here is game footage.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 27 January 2012 at 7:24am
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 2:28pm
Just an FYI... obstructing a brake light is illegal.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 2:59pm
I'd be interested to see if this counts, because tail light covers are fine, and this still lets the light be seen:

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I'd be interested to see if this counts, because tail light covers are fine, and this still lets the light be seen:

I wonder if it has to be a certain percentage.  I dont think it will really matter though.  If he gets pulled over for that and he states he didn't know that, he most likely would just get a warning.  Kinda like when you get pulled over for having a tail light out.

BTW...both the sticker and camera are pretty cool.

Edited by pntbl freak - 26 January 2012 at 3:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic