Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my A5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my A5
    Posted: 08 January 2012 at 1:10pm
I first started to play when i was in high school back in 2001. a year 1/2 latter i got my tippmann a5 put a flat line, lipco drop forward on it e grip and 3 stage expansion chamber on it. in 2004 i join the military and have not been playing do to time and being over sea's.  not to long ago i got the old marker out and started  playing had a blast to. well now that i got the time and a little spending money on the side, just whated to know if you all had any clue of some good up grades i can do to it there are a lot of stuff out now and i don't know where to start. thank you for your time. 
SeiaraOneMaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeiaraOneMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 2:53pm
are u planning on using the upgrades for looks or for improving the guns functions?
There is no rest for the wicked
SeiaraOneMaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeiaraOneMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 2:54pm
are u planning on using the upgrades for looks or for improving the gun?
There is no rest for the wicked
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 7:18pm
improving the gun i don't care much about looks as long as it works
          AIRBORNE
       DEATH FROM ABOVE
        173rd 2/503 INF
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 9:03am
Leave it alone if its working. Definitely dont waste money on "upgraded" internals. ?They are junk.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
TippmannLazEffect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannLazEffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 4:29pm
Ditch the expansion chamber and buy a compressed air tank.
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:10pm
will i get more shots out of it? its been a long time.
          AIRBORNE
       DEATH FROM ABOVE
        173rd 2/503 INF
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by chevrider chevrider wrote:

Typically no. But HPA can offer more shot to shot consistency and therefore accuracy. Let chance of freezing up as well under high ROF. I have heard from some other members though that older A5s didnt always get along well with HPA.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 09 January 2012 at 8:20pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tippmann98king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmann98king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:41pm
ok what i did it my gun is ,  polished internals, JCS alum valve body, expansion chamber,  REMOVED cyclone , add BT rip clip,  Hammer head barrel and fin kit, Virtue board e-grip, the stock bolt works best. and yes i run HPA but the reason Y i have a expansion on mine is due to some field i play at only have co2... and the EXP chamber wont affect how HPA works with the gun   
98C flatline,5 chamber expansion,RT,12BPS.A5 LPK,flatline&hammer barrel,Virtue board,JCS power tube REMOVED cyclone installed BT rip clip custom rear bolt spring.20 bps with out chopping
tippmann98king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmann98king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:45pm
but the BEST thing i did for the gun tho was the hammer head barrel and FIN kit ,, ya u lose distance compared to the flat line but the hammer is dead on str8 that and get rid of the cyclone... and what version of A5 u got?
98C flatline,5 chamber expansion,RT,12BPS.A5 LPK,flatline&hammer barrel,Virtue board,JCS power tube REMOVED cyclone installed BT rip clip custom rear bolt spring.20 bps with out chopping
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Leave it alone if its working. Definitely dont waste money on "upgraded" internals. ?They are junk.

This.  Only upgrades for Tippmanns that seem to have near universal approval from the forum members here would be the Tech-T Cyclone upgrades.  There is no reason to waste time and money on things like new bolts and metal valve bodies.

Typically no. But HPA can offer more shot to shot consistency and therefore accuracy. Let chance of freezing up as well under high ROF. I have heard from some other members though that older A5s didnt always get along well with HPA.

It sounds like this is a 2002 or 2003 A5 we're discussing here; I am fairly certain that was before the valve was changed to better accommodate HPA usage.  My sug* recommendation is testing the marker with a borrowed HPA tank before spending the money on one if possible.

Another option would be to purchase a new valve.  My newer A5 has no issues with HPA while my older one is run exclusively on CO2 because of velocity and feeding issues.

*The new spam filter is very annoying.

Edited by Mack - 10 January 2012 at 10:15pm
TippmannLazEffect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannLazEffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 5:05pm
the new spam filter is annoying.
I was trying to post a message and it continued to give me a spam error and I had no idea what part of my message was spam!
So then I just typed a very basic message which may have not been as helpful

Squishy paddle mod for the cyclone would help
Again if possible HPA - a barrel wont be very accurate if your air source isnt very consistent...
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

This.  Only upgrades for Tippmanns that seem to have near universal approval from the forum members here would be the Tech-T Cyclone upgrades.  There is no reason to waste time and money on things like new bolts and metal valve bodies.

It sounds like this is a 2002 or 2003 A5 we're discussing here; I am fairly certain that was before the valve was changed to better accommodate HPA usage.  My sug* recommendation is testing the marker with a borrowed HPA tank before spending the money on one if possible.

Another option would be to purchase a new valve.  My newer A5 has no issues with HPA while my older one is run exclusively on CO2 because of velocity and feeding issues.

*The new spam filter is very annoying.
          AIRBORNE
       DEATH FROM ABOVE
        173rd 2/503 INF
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 5:36pm
1st gen A5   its old sorry i have not been on latty i just got out of the ER apendex removed last night
          AIRBORNE
       DEATH FROM ABOVE
        173rd 2/503 INF
momoxsparco558 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momoxsparco558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 2:43am
If the marker is working then there is not too much you can do, a lot of the internal mods are for durability not performance, things like a ported barrel will help a LITTLE with paintball that are slightly oversize (cheaper paint balls)
     You can polish the internals if you open the marker ans see "shiney: spots. This is uneaven wear and a polish will make the marker last longer and lessin the drag slightly. There is also a zero kick hammer that is offered, it is alot lighter and boasts little to no recoil. I have alot of parts on order this being one of them, i have not used this product tho and have not met anyone who has as of yet. Also the switch to Nitro will help with consistency, and weight depending on what tank you go with.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by momoxsparco558 momoxsparco558 wrote:

a lot of the internal mods are for durability not performance,
Myself and a lot of the regulars here strongly disagree with this statement. Most of the internal mods such as replacement powertubes and bolts are worthless and in some cases actually diminish the performance of the marker.*  Stock Tippmann internals are very durable and will hold up for many years of use. And since they are a fraction of the cost, you can replace them several times over in some cases before you will even start to to get close to the investment you would make in aftermarket ones.

*From actual experience where an aftermarket PT/Combo caused the marker to no longer function.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momoxsparco558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 12:34pm

Originally posted by momoxsparco558 momoxsparco558 wrote:

a lot of the internal mods are for durability not performance,
Myself and a lot of the regulars here strongly disagree with this statement. Most of the internal mods such as replacement powertubes and bolts are worthless and in some cases actually diminish the performance of the marker.*  Stock Tippmann internals are very durable and will hold up for many years of use. And since they are a fraction of the cost, you can replace them several times over in some cases before you will even start to to get close to the investment you would make in aftermarket ones.

*From actual experience where an aftermarket PT/Combo caused the marker to no longer function.

I understand that the parts are made by the best and are good parts, i work with injection molding and know plastic is incredibly durable.The aluminum power tube i recomend because it is a little lighter.
     When plastic slides across a metal surface it does drag, especially after time, where a polished metal surface and the aluminum front bolt there is less friction. I think this is personal preference. The parts are a little more expensive, as you stated... But mechanically, it makes sense that the aluminum would cause less drag inside the marker.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 12:47pm
The aluminum powertube is not significantly lighter. As it is the powertube may weigh a couple of ounces at most, so this really isnt a legitimate argument. As for drag due to plastic on metal, this shouldnt be happenings. The plastic front bolt rests on a plastic powertube and there is an O-ring around the bolt that should prevent it from hitting the sides.  There has been no proof ever offered of any significant increase of performance using aftermarket internals*, but there have been numerous situations posted here where the aftermarkert aluminum powertubes actually caused issues. Some to the point of making the marker non-functional.

*The exception possibly being the Zero Kick Bolt. 

Further:

I remembered that I still have the POS aftermarket powertube that I purchased when I first started and had to take out due it causing my marker not to work. I also have a scale:

That's 21 grams for the stock PT, and 32g for the aluminum one. In Mericun that's .7oz and 1.1oz respectively. So your lighter argument is non valid.

Also, I noticed that the front bolt on the aftermarket PT is actually plastic, so you would still have plastic on metal, not metal on metal. Next.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 30 January 2012 at 1:04pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 1:12pm

Understand that I am not trying to flame you Momo, it is simply frowned upon here to offer advise that is unsubstantiated. If you have some sort of stats or figures supporting that there is any significant benefit to aftermarket internals, we welcome you to provide them. As mentioned there are many posts here where the problem was found to be aftermarket internals and it is the general agreement among the regulars that post advice hear, that they should generally be avoided as they are a waste of money and add no significant performance value.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momoxsparco558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 2:12pm
I was actually wishing i had a scale, and thank you for posting the wights. I should not have made the argument when i did not wigh them, and im sure it makes no difference anyways. I actually machined my front bolt i did not use the one that came with the power tube. I do think they dont make a difference in performance, but i dont agree that they would hinder it either. I do think they will make a slight difference for the marker. The only mod i have picked up that i believe will actually make a difference (just cam in) Is the zero kick hammer. I will have to test this. I am not a god of paintball functions it is just a hobby, but i can see you are very knowledgeable on the matter. And for that, i do stand corrected. Thank you for the information. Sorry for the disagreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic