FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shin Splints / I'm a schizo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shin Splints / I'm a schizo
    Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:30pm
Anybody ever had them (the splints that is)?

I kind of threw out my recent bout of hypochondria in a thread a couple weeks back, but I didn't really expound on it. My grandfather died of ALS, so it's always been a distinct paranoia of mine (yeah, I know that genetic ALS is incredibly rare, and the odds of me having it at this age are like 1 / 20 million or so). So about three weeks ago, I had upped my upper body workouts from every other day to every day (yes, I know that was stupid in retrospect) alternating two different types of bowflexes.

Now, since being unemployed, working out is a HUGE part of keeping my sanity together. My usual routine was 25-40 minutes of jogging, depending on the weather and my asthma, then around 100-120 reps on one of two bowflexes here at my folks'. My first week of doing both bowflexes my arms kind of gave out on me and I went into freakout mode which I'm now attribuing to stress-related hypochondria, because there's been no visible loss of strength except that one time, and likely I had just overdone it that week. Of course I had crazy muscle twithces and all that good stuff, but anxiety does wonders.

I rested for a day, went back to running, then something weird happened. I noticed I was getting tired after running a short distance (also something I attribute to my literal two day ALS freakout), but kept going. Then, the freaking treadmill I use broke, so I was stuck running in shorts at the park on a 40 degree morning. I got completely winded at the park after about 20 minutes, and started to feel like I was running uphill with weights on my legs. This had never happened to me on the treadmill, so of course, freakout round two, but I forced myself to keep running anyway. I made it to about 25 minutes and strugged my way to the car.

As soon as I got home, I noticed the muscle around my shin bones was completely raw with pain. I can't tell if they were inflamed, but holy crap they were miserable. This lasted about two days, and that was two weeks ago. They're not as bad as they were, and now I'm back to 30-45 minutes of running / walking and my full bowflex workout again, but my shins still feel like they're bruised, especially when walking up stairs.

TL;DR, I'm pretty positive I have shin splints. My running shoes are about 7 months old, which for a flat footer like me is pretty ancient (I usually rotate shoes every 3-6 months for running), and I literally have never stretched before or after working out. That's the only thing I could think of that would last this long and hurt like this. The pain isn't terrible except when I jump or walk up stairs, or run on concrete (no pain at all on the bowflex). I know a few of you guys are hardcore workout enthusiasts, so just curious on some input as far as how long these type things last, if I should keep running and ignoring them, so on and so forth.

To make matters worse, I arm wrestled my nephew (here's a lesson-some 16 year olds are stouter than they look LOL), pulled something in my arm, then cut trees down the next day, threw a dozen or so 120-160 pound stumps into a trailer so now there's that pain in my bicep...I really suck at taking care of myself....
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:40pm
two different boflexes bro

its a miracle you're still alive
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

two different boflexes bro

its a miracle you're still alive

No, but doing the same upper body workout every day is unhealthy, especially when you don't do it right.

Humor noted though Wink
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 10:08pm
I still don't understand treadmills...   WHY?

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

Laziness, really. It's nice and cool where the treadmill is in the summer, so I just kind of got into the habit of it.

Actually though, it's probably a good thing I've got it around because since I injured my legs (if shin splints are even considered an injury) concrete makes me feel like I've been kicking a brick wall with my knees.

I can run on the treadmill as long as my lungs will allow me with absolutely no discomfort, the minute I set foot on a concrete surface it's instant pain.

I completely blame my shoes though...I went through a less noticeable painful experience when I tried working at the Wal Mart distribution center in skater shoes. Some of the worst back pain I've ever had. I went out that weekend and bought a pair of New Balances and never had an issue.

I think my Nikes just went flat or whatever running shoes do when they get old.

Regardless, this is some fairly painful stuff. It's like a massive bruise on both shins.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 6:41am
Learn to run.

It isn't something people can actually do naturally. There is a technique to it.

Also, learn to run barefoot. (or with those minimalist shoes) it is a totally different technique to running with shoes, and I've heard people say it works for splints because it works your body differently.

I bike so take anything I say as strick hearsay.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 10:07am
Kayback is right; running is not something that people naturally do well.  It takes practice and focus until you get the right technique.  You may want to look into your footstrike.  Most people I see tend to strike on the heel; that is okay for some people but may not be the best method for everyone.  I run with a forefoot or midfoot strike depending on how my legs feel.

http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/foot-strike.html

Forefoot strike is the best for your knees but harder on your calves.   I would try a midfoot/slightly forefoot strike.

You also mention asthma.  I had asthma as a kid and always used it as an excuse to get out of exercising.  It's really something you're going to have to learn to deal with, but know that it will improve with time.  I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with any symptoms for 9+ years.  Everyone is susceptible  to exercise-induced bronchospasm; the key is breathing right to minimize the chance and ultimately the effect of it. 

A lot of people get winded and have breathing trouble because they don't have a good breathing cadence.  You really should try to tie in your breathing to your running cadence.  For example: inhale for 2 steps, exhale for 2 steps.  Three steps can also work depending on how much oxygen you need; be careful not to breath too fast because that will put you on the road to having breathing difficulty.  You may already know all of this, but many still have trouble with it.

Cold, dry air also contributes to exercise-induced bronchospasm.  The best way to combat this is breath simultaneously through your mouth and nose.  This will help moisten and warm the air while still allowing you to get enough oxygen.

As far as shoes go:  http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
I like New Balance 860s.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 10:26am

Note, I don't run, I jog, but I do use a treadmill.

Reasons:

• It's in an temperature-controlled room. Which, right now in November, doesn't really matter because it's nice outside. But in July or August, in Florida's heat, does matter to me. It's the difference between me being able to jog for a half hour (On and off, because I'm still not in shape) and me being able to jog for eight minutes and then wanting to vomit. 
  • Ability to adjust for hills. I like adjusting the incline setting while jogging or speed walking. I have a little routine of level ground working up to a decent incline, from a jog to a steady fast walk. In Florida, it's hard to find a hill that big. Also hard to find a hill in general, really. 
  • Lack of bugs. Mosquitos and such. 

I also use an elliptical, so take that opinion how you will. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Note, I don't run, I jog, but I do use a treadmill.

Reasons:

• It's in an temperature-controlled room. Which, right now in November, doesn't really matter because it's nice outside. But in July or August, in Florida's heat, does matter to me. It's the difference between me being able to jog for a half hour (On and off, because I'm still not in shape) and me being able to jog for eight minutes and then wanting to vomit. 
  • Ability to adjust for hills. I like adjusting the incline setting while jogging or speed walking. I have a little routine of level ground working up to a decent incline, from a jog to a steady fast walk. In Florida, it's hard to find a hill that big. Also hard to find a hill in general, really. 
  • Lack of bugs. Mosquitos and such. 

I also use an elliptical, so take that opinion how you will. 

Honestly whatever works for you is great.  It sounds like you have good reasoning.

I personally am very goal oriented.  I perform best when I have a physical goal:  a place I can actually go to.  Running on a treadmill I'm lucky to make it 2 miles at my normal pace versus 10+ on a good day outdoors.  It's the same with an indoor bike.  Even though I'm producing the same power, I can hardly make it 20 miles on an indoor bike whereas 60-80 miles on my real bike is not a problem.  If you don't need to actually go from one place to another to get motivated, more power to you.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 1:32pm
I once heard that running backwards uphill helps cure splints. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 8:39pm
Hey running people who know stuff about running. 

My students are working on writing advertising copy. Their assignment this week was to write/design a one-page magazine advertisement for the Newton Distancia. 

It's supposed to be a "neutral trainer" and do some fancy stuff with your stride or something. 

Would someone mind putting that into terms I can understand? What exactly makes this shoe different/fancy? 

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 8:49pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Like this?

A bit less jingo-tastic. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:03pm
Well, keep in mind, the thing with stuff like that is that a lot of it IS purely clever jingo/ marketing speak to tell you why their shoe is so much better than every other shoe out there. It doesn't mean that it actually is, just that they write creative copy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:17pm

just that they write creative copy.

Well aware. I teach people how to structure/format that creative copy. 

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:29pm
WE GET IT, YOU ACADEMIA

Alternatively:

LOL 2 DEGREES (and counting)

Edited by Gatyr - 30 November 2011 at 9:31pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 9:38pm

Then what you're asking is kind of silly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:24pm

Pardon? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:28pm

Pardon? 

He said that what you're asking is kind of silly.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:32pm

Pardon? 

He said that what you're asking is kind of silly.

I was asking for clarification on why it was silly. 

Also, you run. Explain these shoes. Are they a good idea? Or popular amongst runners? Or actually revolutionary? I'm curious. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic