FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shin Splints / I'm a schizo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:44pm
I'm just bugging you Saying that since you write jingo-copy you should be able to decrypt their market-speak. I'm sure someone else can actually give useful input.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I'm just bugging you Saying that since you write jingo-copy you should be able to decrypt their market-speak. I'm sure someone else can actually give useful input.

Arthur decided to take a quick run around the block before answering, I suppose. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 12:07am
Efficiency in body mechanics is an important part of any activity.  Good form is almost always emphasized; I'm sure you experienced that in TKD.  But, why is efficiency important?  Efficiency is just what you get out over what you put in; for the body, what you put in is energy (and resultant stress) and what you get out is a movement.

The whole deal with the Newton shoes is training for the most efficient running style, which is a forefoot strike. They all but force a fore foot strike.   No big deal if you already run with this type of strike.  The shoes are designed for it and should be very comfortable for that type of runner.

If you're not a forefoot strike, you've got problems.  This is especially true if you strike with your heel.  Because these shoes force you to change your stride, you're at a high risk of injury because you're going against what your body is used to in a big way.  The main risks are for Achilles tendon damage and calf problems. 

Just because a forefoot strike is the most efficient doesn't mean it's required to run fast.  You can run just as fast with a heel strike as a forefoot strike, but you are inducing more stress and your body has to compensate for the decreased efficiency.

I've never tried the shoes, but they hardly seem revolutionary.  They could be great shoes if they match your running style, or they could be terrible if they force you to change your form.

This might be of some use:  http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Edited by ArthurBignose - 01 December 2011 at 12:09am

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

just that they write creative copy.

Well aware. I teach people how to structure/format that creative copy. 

Then what you're asking is kind of silly.

Pardon? 

He said that what you're asking is kind of silly.

yep, I lol'd
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 2:02am

Everyone is susceptible  to exercise-induced bronchospasm; the key is breathing right to minimize the chance and ultimately the effect of it.  A lot of people get winded and have breathing trouble because they don't have a good breathing cadence. 

That's why I happen to know about learning to run.

I always used to get a totally crushing pain in my right shoulder after about 1Km max. As in see-ing stars, gotta stop or pass out sort of pain.

I mentioned this in passing to my cousin who ran marathons for fun, at like 18, and she told me about breathing.

I was flabbergasted. Honestly, I move my legs, I suck air in. How hard can it be?

After some coaching by her and eventually the Sports Science Institute, I now know how to run.

I prefer to cycle though.....

KBK

On a related note, isn't mid/fore foot a barefoot running technique? And heel strikes are shoe'd running? (It's been a while since I did it I will admit, and I was always a toe runner. You could tell when I was exhausted, I'd start flopping my heels down)
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 8:14am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

just that they write creative copy.

Well aware. I teach people how to structure/format that creative copy. 

Then what you're asking is kind of silly.

Pardon? 

He said that what you're asking is kind of silly.

yep, I lol'd

I did too, just don't tell anyone. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 8:52am

I still don't understand treadmills...   WHY?

Weather can be an issue whether it's a rainy day or 3 feet of snow.  Also someone may be working through an injury which could potentially make a treadmill a viable option for recovery and as you get older lower impact exercises make a lot of sense.  Regardless of age it's a better option than a bag of potato chips whilst staring at the no blink blue screen all day.

I do a lot of incline work out on the road on my bike but fall back on the indoor trainer for bad weather .  Kind of the same concept as the treadmill I guess.

Sent from a phone booth
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

On a related note, isn't mid/fore foot a barefoot running technique? And heel strikes are shoe'd running? (It's been a while since I did it I will admit, and I was always a toe runner. You could tell when I was exhausted, I'd start flopping my heels down)

I believe the emphasis on mid/forefoot striking came at the same time as barefoot running.  Whether you have shoes or not, it is still more efficient and less stressful on your body to have a forefoot strike versus a heel strike. 

They don't have a picture graph of a shoe'd forefoot strike, but if anything the curve will be even smoother than the barefoot forefoot.

Notice in the heel strike how quickly the force changes with time on impact?  That will cause quite a lot of fatigue stress.  Both techniques have an equal peak because that is not a function of foot position.  We're interested in the slope of the curves.

I made a copy of their curves in excel, took the derivatives and plotted them.  You can see that the forefoot strike has a MUCH smoother application of force as compared to the heel strike.

Edited by ArthurBignose - 01 December 2011 at 9:07am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic