FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fat Kids = Neglect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

What's their economic status? 

Far too often, socioeconomic status and income tend to correlate with childhood obesity (And obesity in general). 

Or is it intelligence?

Income vs intelligence

Obesity vs intelligence

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

What's their economic status? 

Far too often, socioeconomic status and income tend to correlate with childhood obesity (And obesity in general). 

Or is it intelligence?

Income vs intelligence

Obesity vs intelligence

Might explain the higher rate of prosperity disparity in the U.S. vs othe countries as well. More stupid people = more fat poor people. If the majority of your people are smart, they are thinner and there is less economic disparity.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 7:44pm
If fat people would quit spending money they didn't have on food they didn't need, they wouldn't be poor.

I just solved 3 issues with one idea! Score.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

If fat people would quit spending money they didn't have on food they didn't need, they wouldn't be poor.

I just solved 3 issues with one idea! Score.

I was watching South Park when you posted this, so naturally I read it in Cartman's voice. Funny stuff LOL
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:11pm

Can't cure stupid.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Can't cure stupid.

Sure you can.

We just have a tendency to intervene with natural selection...

So says the Paramedic.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 10:23pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 11:41pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 12:05am
This thread turned from obesity to boning. I'll address the boning later. 

School lunches are a tough subject.

The changes you note - the reliance on frozen prepared things, the decrease of fresh fruits and veggies, etc. - happened with more schools started relying on "catering" and distribution companies like Aramark. Shipping fresh fruits and veggies is expensive. It's much cheaper to send quasi-prepared meals with preservatives. And school districts started relying on these companies more and more when budgets started stagnating. 

There also is little enforcement. Students are given the option between something quasi-nutritious and chicken fingers and fries, they're picking the chicken fingers. 

School lunches are a depressing subject. 

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

There needs to be a greater understanding of the health ramifications obesity leads to,

The problem, however, is that the demographics that are most susceptible to obesity are also the ones that PSAs concerning food education and obesity don't reach. 

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

High. Fructose. Corn. Syrup.

There is some interesting stuff about HFCS, and I too am suspicious of their presence in a lot of things. 

I'd place more of the blame on a convenient society than HFCS, though, when it comes down to it. We don't move around. We hardly walk. We don't do manual labor. Things don't require much activity anymore. 

An advanced and convenient society happens to also be a fat society.

While on the subject, anyone that says McDonalds is a cheaper alternative than eating real food is full of it. For what three Happy Meals and a supersized Big Mac meal cost, you can put together a decent, somewhat healthy meal. 

Two problems here. 

1) The "cost" isn't the same. The cost-per-unit is much lower if you do it yourself, but not the initial cost. With the Big Mac, you're purchasing the product up front, where-as with any home-cooked meal, you're paying more money for more ingredients up front. You cannot go to the store and purchase exactly a cup of rice and six stalks of asparagus and a quarter cup of turkey breast. You have to buy $18 worth of goods for the meal upfront, yet it makes $3 plates. To some, that $18 initial investment is not worth it. 

2) Time is a big factor, especially for someone working multiple jobs and dealing with the logistics of small children. While time may not equal money, time is a limited commodity. 

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

If you're living in poor, crime infested areas, "Go out and play" could be the same as saying "Go get stabbed." The opportunities that I had as a kid aren't there. That leaves the schools to play catch-up with the work out time that was missed at home, which can't often be done.

I'd not thought of that as a factor, when considering socioeconomic factors. 

Damn, that's good. I wonder if anyone has formally done anything on this. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 01 December 2011 at 12:06am
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Or is it intelligence?

Income vs intelligence

Obesity vs intelligence

Intelligence is far too broad of a term to be used meaningfully here. Intelligent/aware people can simply weigh their preferences however it suits them, and make a rational, intelligent decision to enjoy certain foods rather than focus on their health.

The thing to consider, though, is a child's incapacity to make that choice, and the subsequent blind-acceptance of terrible foods as 'what I eat.' As Whale stated, there's a correlation to note between socioeconomic status and the quality of food one eats, but I think that it's an irrelevant concern if we are speaking strictly about neglecting the well-being of a child. The nutritional content of what your average fat kid is eating is incredibly deficient, and by supplying a child with that sort of food, they are actively denying the child of their health.

That's the most immediate concern I have with childhood obesity; it's being caused by the people who are charged with protecting and providing for the kid.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 1:11am
I never understood when I go to the grocery store, and I look in peoples carts to see what they have. And the people obviously are on the lower end of the economic scale. Their carts are filled with frozen pizzas, chips, and soda.

I for one do not have a lot of money to spare for food. I am also lazy and don't like cooking. That is why I buy a lot of staple foods when they are cheap. And cook a lot at one time, and have left overs for a week. Whether it be spaghetti, chili, stew etc. These people are fat because they stop by the gas station a few times a day, and guzzle down 100oz of fountain soda. Crap that is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Which is ingested completely different than normal sugar.

The same people who will get a couple of McDoubles for lunch, because they didn't "have time" to throw some left overs in reusable container.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 1:31am

I never understood when I go to the grocery store, and I look in peoples carts to see what they have. And the people obviously are on the lower end of the economic scale. Their carts are filled with frozen pizzas, chips, and soda.

There's a science about what makes junk food unhealthy, and of you're not careful, you can come out just as unhealthy if not worse with homemade food.

Healthy eating is probably one of the toughest lifestyle changes you can make. Quitting drinking, going to college, religion, none of these were particularly difficult for me compared to learning how to eat. I was raised to eat whatever tasted good and that diet food was bad.

Of course, until I find a job, I'm back full circle to going over to my parents' to eat dinner. I feel like I'm funneling straight poison into my system. When you really analyze the specific details of what you're eating, you start to realize that everything you're used to is bad. Lunchmeat, canned foods, frozen foods, all of these things have negative aspects, be it sodium or whatever.

I find that the more I get away from these things, the less I enjoy them. I hate most lunch meats, fried food makes me queasy, same for cheesy foods, and I gravitate more to seafood if the option exists.

But at the moment I have little control over my food content, so I focus on portions and getting plenty of exercise. My only real vices to speak of are sodas (I've quit like three times, but they always pull me back) and ramen.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 3:06am

Which is ingested completely different than normal sugar.
They don't use their mouth?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 1:46pm
I wrote that late last night, and had a feeling when I turned off my computer, I wrote it wrong.

Digested/absorbed etc. It's harder to break down than normal sugar, and a lot of it makes it to the liver.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 11:08am
So I've been watching collegiate sports quite a bit on ESPN U and I have to say that it's radical how wide girls butts are that play college volleyball and soccer.  What on earth gives man?  I just seem to remember that wide-loads were an exception not the rule in these sports.
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 11:17am

Hang on there's a slight possibility that I may have just potentially caught a glimpse of a soccer chick that might have a skinny butt. IDK hang on I'll brb need more time searching for a skinny butt brb mkay.  It's tough

#1 Duke vs #1 Wake girls soccer it's tough.  They must have filled the roster with speed skaters, downhill skiers and power lifters.

Sent from a phone booth
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 11:38am
The first thing I did to save money on my shopping? I stopped buying meat.  Dried/canned beans are WAY cheaper.

One of the problems for those that DO cook home meals, is that everyone prepares meat based dishes. 4 people sitting at a table eating 4 steaks for a combined 32oz, and only eating veggies as a side. When one of those 8oz steaks could be chopped up and put into a much larger dish.

You get steak flavor, for less fat, less cost, and more food.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 2:26pm
Thank God for Winter nationals swimming and over-aged, over-the-hill skinny female swimmers.  There's still hope
Sent from a phone booth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic