Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flatline?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rahu125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahu125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flatline?
    Posted: 23 October 2011 at 8:07pm
So I just bought the 98 custom pro and I also purchased the 16" 98 custom sniper barrel, but I was reading around and it sounds like the flatline barrel is the best for woodsball. just curious what people's opinions were.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 8:22pm
They are fun.  I have the flatline and the apex.
Sent from a phone booth
rahu125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahu125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 8:27pm
ok, but will the difference between the 16" i bought and the flatline be noticeable? or will it be fairly accurate either way?
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 9:26pm
There will be a complete and total difference. Throw accuracy out the window, regardless of which barrel you are looking at. You are launching liquid-filled imperfect spheres. At the ranges paintball is played, any gain of accuracy (however marginal) will be almost inconsequential. I don't honestly see why people go on and on about barrel kits and accuracy and all that...

If you want me to explain my stance on that, I will. However, back to the question at hand: The Flatline puts a backspin on the ball, being one of the two only barrels conclusively proven to add distance to the paintball (the other barrel being the Apex). However, the velocity is still the same from any other barrel, so at the extended ranges the Flatty offers, you have a reduced chance of paintball breakage. The real advantage the Flatline has over other barrels is in the brush, where you can get good distance shots off without having to arc the ball into brush and whatnot. When I first got my Flatline, I was shocked at how often that was beneficial in woods play.

The Sniper barrel will perform the same as any other barrel on the market. A tube is a tube is a tube...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

rahu125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahu125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 9:57pm
so as far as woodsball utility the flatline would be a solid investment? 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 10:07pm
I'd say so, with a few caveats. Firstly, the barrel is curved, so proper installation is important. If you don't align the barrel, the balls will wing off in one direction. Secondly, the inside of the barrel is textured, not smooth. This can lead to a few breaks with brittle paint. Also, that makes cleaning sometimes problematic. Thirdly, if your field allows velocity to 300 FPS, you have to keep your velocity in the 260-280 FPS range. I've noticed, and it's reported, that the Flatty doesn't like high velocity.

Also, as stated, you have to have the right philosophy of use on the Flatline. Don't expect to take advantage of the extended range (though it may come in handy from time to time). The real advantage is a flatter trajectory in the brush. If that's something you will need, check out the Flatline. That said, with my playing style, I prefer standard barrels, personally.

Edited by DeTrevni - 23 October 2011 at 10:09pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

rahu125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahu125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 10:19pm
thanks for the input, I think I'll get one to try it out
Famous14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Famous14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 9:22pm
Flatline= backspin=  longer paintball distance travel + wider ball grouping at long ranges (less accuracy than normal barrels: 14" and 16")...... 14" and 16"= shorter distances than flatline + tighter ball grouping (depends on barrel manufacturer).... I have a 14" JJ Ceramic barrel that works wonders along with a flatline. I believe the ceramics as far as one-piece barrels go, is on of the best. Teflon coating on inside makes paintball chops seem like they never happened cuz they slide out with the next few shots. However, the flatline is pretty awesome and there's nothing like it really... I could hit my freinds from around 110-130ft while they could only get around 70-100ft!!!!! But, as DeTrevni said, u have a lower chance of breakage, and have to stay around 260-280 fps cuz it can cause chops and unpredictable swerves with the ball. Trust me... I was at a 500 person scenario event and nearly hit my teammates on both sids of me flanking the enemy by putting up my velocity slightly too high Xo.
https://sites.google.com/site/nochoppaintball/home/DSC05109.JPG?attredirects=0
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 9:49pm
For once, I don't agree with Detrvini. Firing a paintball causes turbulence in the ball and behind it.

Once the ball accelerates to its maximum speed, you eliminate the turbulence behind the ball through the use of porting. 

Then the ball will coast along the side of the barrel and reduce its own turbulence.

After those variable have been calmed, most inaccuracies come from turbulence in the air outside of the barrel. Those variables cannot be helped, and thats why accuracy at long range is total crap. Keeping a tighter grouping at close range will help make a smaller grouping at long range.

A tighter barrel fit will allow the use of less gas to propel the ball, also reducing the turbulence behind the ball.

Putting spin on the ball may make it fly longer, but it makes it more susceptible to variations in the air. Also even with spin, the ball will slow down, at longer ranges you will get more bounces.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic