Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Gun to Carry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Gun to Carry
    Posted: 14 October 2011 at 6:44pm
I'm shopping around for a compact, DAO 9mm for around $500.

I've only shot a Taurus slim, which I liked.  The new Beretta Nano looks nice but I'd like to wait for some reviews on it first.

Anyways, what do you have experience with?  Suggestions?

Thanks
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 7:02pm
Stay away from the slim.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Stay away from the slim.

Reasons?
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 7:10pm
if you can't find a range that will let you rent pistols for a few hours or the day, i would recommend the glock 19 or a smaller glock. They're pretty slim, and you can get a small one in a larger caliber if you choose to go up 
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 7:26pm
I despise threads like these because unless I become a police officer, chances of me getting a hand gun are slim to null.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 8:18pm
Sig P250.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 9:47pm
There are a couple of questions you have to know the answers to first. What size person are you? And, how do you plan on carrying it? Also, when/how often/where do you plan on carrying?

A decent sized guy can pretty easily CC most handguns around the 4-5 O'Clock position, let alone a 9mm. I can carry my double stack FNP40 well with a pair of cargos and an XL shirt.(I'm not a huge guy either, only about 6'-6'1 and around 200 lbs, give or take 5-10)

Obviously if you want something smaller that can fit in a large pocket or at your ankle, your options are going to be slightly more limited, but not restrictively so. Does it need to be a composite semi-auto? Taurus makes some pretty slick revolvers that are nice for ankle/back pocket carry, if you're at all interested in that kind of thing.

Not sure what impulse's beef with the slim is, maybe their manual is printed in a government lab and contains brain washing materials in it. I've shot/handled one and thought it was pretty sweet. One of the only single stack guns I've found to be really comfortable in my hand.

I like Sig alot too, as Arthur suggested, they make a great product.

Personally, I can't shoot glocks well, which brings me to the most important aspect of the gun by far. Anything you're considering should get some serious handling in before you commit to it. Ideally you could find a range nearby that would let you should a gun you're considering, but I know that's not always an option. At the very least, make sure you are going and holding/feeling any gun you are considering, some will immediately just not feel right to you.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I despise threads like these because unless I move back to the United States, chances of me getting a hand gun are slim to null.

Fixed.

OP, I highly suggest you go rent/borrow every handgun available. As for Taurus, I am not a fan of their products. The Judge is cool, but I have heard about a lot of issues and crappy customer service.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 12:12am
My beef with the slim is, they all have horrible reviews.

Glock 26, Springfield XD Sub Compact

Would be my first two choices. They are not enjoyable to shoot, but it looks like you want a small gun.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 1:34am
M&P. The new Glock.

Honestly they are pretty much the gold standard these days.

They are good weapons that aren't too bulky.

If you want a Slim/Neo no one is going to change your mind though.

Buy a decent brand and loads of ammo and practice. If you can get some decent courses.

KBK

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 6:55am
You're approaching this all wrong.

Anything less than this, and you're a weenie.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:18am
I carried a Taurus PT-111 for a year. The gun worked fine, but I did manage to hit the mag release while shooting on occasion (I have large hands). Just go handle a few and find what you like the most.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:22am
Honest question here, why all the hate projected at "slim" CCWs? I'm interested in the single-stack 9x19 that S&W makes.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:52am
I love my Glock 36 slim. I've posted about it a few times on here so I won't go into detail, but my only gripe with the gun is that I haven't adjusted fully to shooting a subcompact yet. Otherwise the single stack doesn't scare me remotely, I just don't feel the need for the extra bullets. I enjoy the slim fit and the heavier calibre over my previous Glock 23.

Also, we have at least one of these threads a month, and the most important detail that USAF pointed out should be copypasta'd from every one of them.

All guns shoot different. I know competition .45 shooters that have picked up a gun they're not used to and had to adjust to it. It's just science-there's alot that goes in to putting a projectile down range and you need to be familiar with the way that a gun shoots before you invest in and potentially trust your life with a weapon.

Every single one of us has a different experience. I love Glocks, others hate them. I can't shoot a 1911 to save my life, others collect trophies and money shooting them. It's like cars-the vast majority will shoot better than you can, so asking which one is best isnt going to get you a reliable answer. The only real answer is to make a list of demands, go to several gun stores, and try out what they show you.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:59am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Honest question here, why all the hate projected at "slim" CCWs? I'm interested in the single-stack 9x19 that S&W makes.

I'm gonna let Kayback answer that, because I'm not very experienced with an awful lot of guns.

I do know that, to alot of people, they like the mental reassurance of having the extra bullets. I've heard others say they felt that single stacking defeated the purpose of a polymer gun, and that you were better off with a 1911 style carry gun because they're a little slimmer all around.

Having owned a 1911, a Sig, two Glocks, a Beretta, an XD, and a few others, I love the look, feel, and performance of my slim better than any of the rest. It just feels right, and it suits me for a carry gun far better than anything else. But that's the only single stacked polymer I've owned.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 12:59am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

No real hate. Mainly if you are only taking 8 rounds, you can probably get a .45 in a similar sized package.

The smaller the gun the smaller the controls. Not always a good thing.

There are some very decent slim guns out there but there are also some bad ones.

KBK
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 2:22am
I like my PPK. Just sayin'.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 4:54am
Quote Dont rush out and buy one yet.... Its not really that great of an achievement for Taurus.

These are the specs on the Glock 26:
WEIGHT 19.75 oz.
LENGTH 6.29 in.
WIDTH 1.18 in.

.75 oz more then the SLIM
.29'' longer Then the SLIM
and I think the Taurus is right at about an inch thick so you are looking at only about .18'' thicker for the Glock

......Oh, and did I mention the Glock is 10+1 while the Taurus is only 7+1 Wink

Taken from another forum.

Same guy then suggests the Kel-Tec PF9
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 8:51am
You know what most people never think of? A 1911 is super slim.  They're a tad heavy, but you can conceal them easily.  You can also find some in 9x19, but that makes me slightly ill.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

You know what most people never think of? A 1911 is super slim.† They're a tad heavy, but you can conceal them easily.† You can also find some in 9x19, but that makes me slightly ill.

I already have a 1911 and it prints like a mo-fo on me. I'm only 5'7" (Shorty and I are pretty much the same height) so the smaller/slimmer, the better. Smallest round I'd go for is 9x18mm which I have in my FEG PA-63 (which, by the way, is a fantastic little gun) but I want something that's light and slim and compact, but bigger than one of the micro-guns like the kel-tec and ruger lcp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic