FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies and Morals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies and Morals
    Posted: 06 October 2011 at 7:54pm
I'd apologize for dropping another political thread, but tis the season I guess. Really though, this is less about the political subject at hand and more a curiosity about a moral stance I find baffling.

That out of the way, skim through this article. The article is poorly written in my opinion, and tends to put words into the mouths of the people answering the poll questions. Basically, if you need a tl;dr. the poll asserts that somewhere around one third to one half of Republicans pick their movies based upon the political ideologies of the actors and directors involved.

Normally I dismiss claims like this as just political rhetoric and silly journalism, but I happen to know that the vast majority of real, adult right wingers I know (family, friends, coworkers, the whole bit) really do base many of their purchases on the politics / morals of the entertainers involved.

Now this list is slightly skewed, in my opinion. Many of the actors / actresses listed are probably avoided for other reasons besides politics (seriously, who really likes Whoopi Goldberg in a post 1991 world?). Micheal Moore is purposely polarizing, it's how a hack narcissistic director with a knack for pushing buttons is able to become wealthy in Hollywood. I know plenty of Dems that won't watch his flicks, mainly because his faux documentaries tend to be one sided and a tad on the hateful side. The same goes for Jane Fonda; the majority of people the have put her on the no fly list for movies are baby boomers that remember her for being involved in an anti-American scandal (the younger among us realize she's apologized and now just avoid her because she's an overrated actress).

But then you get to Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Morgan Freeman (Shocked), Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight, and Sean Penn, and you begin to realize that liberals and conservatives alike are depriving themselves of fantastic performances from incredibly talented actors simply because they dislike their politics.

I kind of find this baffling. While I can totally understand people finding F-bombs, sex, and murder offensive to some degree, I don't understand how the personal life of the professionals involved plays into the equation.

My issue with this way of thinking is simple-you make purchases every day with which you contribute monetarily and otherwise to companies run by individuals of varying backgrounds. Odds are nearly 100% that you are in fact contributing to corporate and individual corruption. Somewhere down the line you've funded money laundering, blackmail, promiscuity, liberal and conservative agendas, drug habits, cults, so on and so forth. If you questioned the personal morals of everyone that benefits from your purchases, you'd better turn Amish quickly.

Going to see a movie isn't supporting an actor's politics, it's enjoying an American past time. A good actor transcends his personal identity and becomes the role he's playing. I'd challenge anyone to watch Ransom, Mad Max, Braveheart, Lethal Weapon, so on and so forth, and be bothered that person on the screen made anti-semitic comments while completely smashed.

But some people do, I guess, and my real point in this thread is this-what decides what movies you watch? Even further, what decides your entertainment time and money? Are there are musical artists or actors that are completely off limits for any reason to you?

Just curious really.
Kingtiger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Now with 100% more Fail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 8:01pm
If it interests me, I watch it. If it doesn't I don't. Simple as that.
Steam: Kingtiger125
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Kingtiger Kingtiger wrote:

This.

Having read quickly through the article and the OP: people don't go to movies because they disagree with actors' political views?  They really have no better barometer for picking movies?
BU Engineering 2012
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Originally posted by Kingtiger Kingtiger wrote:

This.

Having read quickly through the article and the OP: people don't go to movies because they disagree with actors' political views?  They really have no better barometer for picking movies?

Oddly enough, I find that one of two things goes on in the movie business-

A:) The American moviegoers have absolutely horrible taste in movies

B:) I'm a completely pretentious moviegoer, and it's a "why is everyone driving on the wrong side of the road?" equatinon

Of course, it's probably B, but I certainly feel it's A.

What I mean is that Americans tend to watch movies for what are in my opinion ridiculous reasons (boobs, explosions, OMG DANE COOK IT HAZ TO BE GUD AMIRITE), so the reasons for NOT going are really not that shocking.

I think that everyone has a reason why they prefer something, so in contrast we likely all hae reasons for not preferring something.

Music, for instance, is an extension of an the musician's personality. Sometimes irritating personalities can be ignored (Bob Dyan), or can even accentuate the music (Jack White), and then sometimes they just bleed through to the point I dislike them for it (Fred Durst).

But I find the acting dilemma baffling because acting is literally becoming someone that you're not. I'll go as far as to say that the more reprehensible an actor is, the more I admire his acting. Tom Cruise is one of my top 5 favorite actors of all time, the man can literally play anything. The fact that he's a crazy sleazeball in real life make me realize just how hard he works to sell his movies, and I think that makes him worth what they pay him.

Or take Bill Murray for instance. From what I hear he's a genuinely awesome dude in real life that plays pretentious douchers in most of his films.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 8:01am
Ok, clearly I'm a little teensy bit political...

Which is something different for me, I never paid attention to politics until my pay started declining because of the policies from government forcing my customers to stop spending money because they were being penalized for being in business. (speading the wealth around, obamacare, regulations).

I LOVE movies, I have a degree in movie making, and I've worked on major motion pictures. I have many friends who still work on major motion pictures. I also have many friends who do low budget film work daily. Creating "art" with a camera and actors interests me greatly. I enjoy immersing myself into a two hour reality created by a director, the better it is done the more I enjoy it.

Does it bother me that "morgan freeman" aka god from "Bruce Almighty" just called me a racist and the only reason I don't like Obama is his skin color...

Of course, that bothers me, years ago, I could have cared less, but now after some of my hero's in the media (something I love) attacks me so vocally for my beliefs, it has been a turning point for me. 

Many people can't afford to go to the movies now, because of the 'spreading the wealth' and 'everyone deserves the RIGHT of home ownership' that destroyed so much of our economy and the middle class. And then to take a clearly invented democratic meme and repeat it right before your family friendly "dolphin tale" movie comes out just comes across as dumb, just like when the dixie chicks slammed on Bush... (hmm, what happened to THEIR carreer after that?)

Yes, it is offensive, because it is prejudiced, does Morgan Freeman know me? Yet he is perfectly willing to insult me and call me a racist because I believe the government should live within their means and stop taking so much and "redistributing it" to their friends while penalizing their enemies. The thoughts from the left always reward their friends with special rights, and when called on it, they lash out.

That has consequences.

Will I see that movie... yeah, but I will wait for it on DVD and watch it in my theater, where I can enjoy the movie at home in MY environment, where the popcorn is always perfect, the candy is always fresh, and the bathroom is right behind me and the pause button is right there, next to my recliners. Not to mention I can fast forward past the nudity that Hollywood is convinced America wants to witness while watching a movie with their family and children...

I have a different perspective on Hollywood than most, as I know what happens in the "real" world of Hollywood. My sister was blacklisted in New York, all because she wouldn't sleep with a film producer she was working for... (she owns a grip truck (lighting) business) She didn't work in New York for 8 years because of it... The guy that did it was finally busted and prosecuted and is now in jail and only AFTER he was convicted did she start getting work there again... That is the underside, and it happens to women all the time in that business. I know tons of people that have had similiar things happen to them.

Many were blacklisted because they were conservative...

So you either play THEIR way, or you are out. Some big name guys kept their political ideology quiet and are now being vocal once they have power, but you certainly can't come up in the ranks as a conservative and expect to make it in Hollywood.

That clearly is a problem, and middle America is conservative, if they knew what really went on in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood they would be shocked. Or they know and like me they choose to ignore it... But, at some point it becomes too much and it WILL affect your movie habits.

But, as a creative outlet, I think the days of film are only going to get better... Today, for almost no budget, you can make a movie like "flywheel" which is a GREAT story, and was made by some guys down in Georgia. They did it all themselves with NO film background... A $20,000 budget and everyone donating their time to help.

The goal of film making is capitalism, to make something that others will want to spend their money on watching, and make a profit off of that work.

But, today many of the film making projects have become a place to indoctrinate, we have countless examples from the past decade about how global warming is destorying the earth, as it is pushed in story lines from our childrens films like "wally" to adventure stories like "waterworld", or "day after tomorrow", or "2012". (all of which I have watched btw).

But, waterworld is a good example, it was an EPIC failure locally, as the American public didn't see the big whoop about spending $175,000,000+ on sets of "the future" that was clearly a propoganda piece of the global warming crowd. It only made around $90,000,000 in the US...

Oh, and it was 5 hours long when first produced... They had to severely edit it down to make it fit a normal movie schedule. Notice, you rarely see a Kevin Costner film anymore, as all studios look to the massively bloated waterworks waste of money as a reason NOT to hire him again... So he did low budget films for a while until a big studio took another chance with him...

So while films like "inconvenient truth" which are obvious propoganda outlets that is being pushed in every school in America (even though much of the film has been proven false) there is another set of film makers now making films from the other perspective.

And those films are growing and making money. And regardless of your politics, making money is what it is all about, at the end of the day. Because each and every film is a business, and that business model is trying to get eyeballs and money for their product.

With the amount of quality film equipment and editing gear there will only be MORE great films in our lifetimes. Political ideology will affect the box office, but over time it all equals out, and you will end up with more and more great film work, for less money. Which will force studios to change their business model, and that change will affect Hollywood in ways I don't even think THEY realize yet...

As a film lover we live in an amazing time for great film. Watching the latest transformers, I realized, that seriously, ANYTHING you dream up you can now achieve on film... And it looks real.

Crazy when you campare that film to the original terminator movies...

How times have changed since I went to the movies for the first time in 1977 and watched "Star Wars"...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 07 October 2011 at 8:10am
They tremble at my name...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:27am
I can't think of a an actor or even musician that I will not watch or listen to for their political ideology. However, there are actors that simply irritate me to the point that I will watch their movies only under protest: Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Jim Carey, Horseface and some others. My issue with these actors though is that they annoy me,. Either because I find them to be retarded or overhyped. There are a number of musicians as well. Michael Jackson, for obvious reasons and lately Madonna 2 (Lady Gaga) to name a couple. LG is about the closest I have in regards to politics because I think she is full of crap and simply grabbing onto the "born this way" ideology as a means to rile people up and add controversy and perceived substance to her otherwise silly schtick. Plus she annoys me.

I do find it annoying that people were so worked up about the Golden Compass movies. At the time it came out I was still on my father in laws churches email blast and kept getting various forwards about how the movie was advocating atheism and an attempt to tear the church down. People should avoid taking their kids as it would turn them against Jesus. Nonsense. It was a decent movie. 

I am fairly conservative, but still watched one or two of Michael Moores movies. I didn't watch the Bill Mahrer one, but not because of politics, but it really just didnt appeal to me. While I find hem to be funny, on occasion, he is just mean. I think making a movie that spends it's entire length bashing people for beleiving in religion to be a ridiculous waste of time. We get it, you atheist.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:32am
^^^KMFDM and Ministry are two bands to come to my mind that I listen to and don't like their politics/social views, but they make some good music.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I'd apologize for dropping another political thread,

I'd say this isn't really a political thread, it's a psychology thread. More specifically, it's a form of cognitive biases, which are in an umbrella under psychology. 

I'd venture a guess that the phenomenon could potentially be examined. Right now, the things presented in that article are the result of a poll. And I don't really care for polls. They're an extraordinarily limited scope, and frankly can't tell you much more than what people want you to know about them. Even the survey - which is less blunt-force - can be set up to show contridictions. 

No, this could be done in a better way. Set up a lab situation. Ask people, using a basic questionnaire, some questions on basic political stance and have them mark where on a 1-10 scale they are. You can use established political spectrum questions, or if you're lazy and it's an election year, ask them who they intend on voting on. 

Then show them a list of movies, with director name, actor name, and a short 100-word description of the movie. Have them rank order the movies they would choose to see, and click an 'X' on the movies they wouldn't see regardless of options within a rank order. 

There is your raw data.

Then as the participant finishes with their decisions, have an exit interview with them. Ask them to explain their rank order and their 'X' decisions. Record these answers with a transcription program so they can be analyzed for word repetition, tone, etc. 

Compare the raw data of the movies with the political stance, and then use the exit interview data to find your potential reason why. 

That's how you'd find a correlation. 

Now, as for my personal opinion? 

It comes down to cognitive, psychological biases. Probably confirmation bias and a desire not to be faced with a cognitive dissonance - in the form of a defensive mode or avoiding the Semmelweis reflex. 

If I was going to conduct this study, I would construct the literature review with that as the core. That, if the ideas of confirmation bias hold true, people who are conservative are going to want to reinforce their conservative viewpoints and avoid cognitive dissonance by not seeing anything with a perceived liberal viewpoint. Because, simply, the brain doesn't want to have to either think about stuff, or doesn't want to be challenged on core ideas. 

And, continuing that, the idea of conservative versus liberal comes into play with movie selection. I would venture that, if we're dealing with public perception here, more movies/actors/directors are perceived as liberal than conservative, so by default, it would appear that conservatives are forced to be more selective than liberals when deciding upon a movie to consume.

It also could be that the basic ideological concepts of conservative vs. liberal are at play, with conservative being based in regression, while liberal is based in progression. When dealing with something seen as an art form or entertainment - film - the medium is going to attempt to progress. That would require some more reading into it, though. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

^^^KMFDM and Ministry are two bands to come to my mind that I listen to and don't like their politics/social views, but they make some good music.
Rage Against the Machine. Love the music.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

But, today many of the film making projects have become a place to indoctrinate, we have countless examples from the past decade about how global warming is destorying the earth, as it is pushed in story lines from our childrens films like "wally" 

Where was the global warming message in WALL-E? 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

But, today many of the film making projects have become a place to indoctrinate, we have countless examples from the past decade about how global warming is destorying the earth, as it is pushed in story lines from our childrens films like "wally" 

Where was the global warming message in WALL-E? 

Maybe he's thinking of Happy Feet? Personally, I found the movie boring as all get out, but even my wife was turned off by the ending.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Personally, I found the movie boring as all get out, but even my wife was turned off by the ending.

Awww. WALL-E is probably my favorite Pixar movie. 

Ratatouille is probably a close second. 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:59am

Personally, I found the movie boring as all get out, but even my wife was turned off by the ending.

I was talking about Happy Feet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:59am
Oh! My bad. I never actually saw Happy Feet. 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 10:06am

Oh! My bad. I never actually saw Happy Feet. 
I slept through most of it, but the ending had something to do with global warning and the melting polar region..? My wife and older daughter mentioned something about it. Said they liked the movie until it started getting all environmental on them.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 10:09am
I also enjoy movies quite a bit.  Having two small children (2yrs and 5mos) this past summer made it impossible to see anything.  I will admit I've seen my fair share of movies that had actors that I don't particularly care for.  Sometimes it would ruin the movie for me because I was distracted by my dislike for an actor or actors.  Other times if the story was strong and compelling enough I could overlook my "annoyances" and enjoy the movie.  I am guilty of not seeing some movies because of politics.  I will never willingly watch anything by Michael Moore.  Never saw any movie with Madonna involved and not going to start anytime soon.

I love Morgan Freeman.  I think he's a fantastic actor.  It kind of hurts to find out that he believes Tea Party activists are racists.  I'm not affiliated with the Tea Party, but there are many things they represent that I agree with.  I'm no racist either.  When I look at Obama, I don't automatically think "N-word".  His skin color is a non-issue to me.  I'm proud that we have a President who is black.  But politically he is the wrong person for the job.  All I see is a community activist that somehow got elevated to the highest office in the United States that has no experience or the first clue as to what he is doing.  But I'm getting away with my point.

I don't know if I'll see another film with Morgan Freeman because of how he feels about what I believe.  And really not how he feels about it, but in the manner he said it.  I wonder how he feels about Herman Cain?
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 11:12am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/06/news.features

Wall-e was about humans having to leave earth because WE destroyed it...

I loved those films too, but my favorite animated film right now is despicable me... That movie rocks, (I even purchased it... and I NEVER purchase films)...
They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 11:22am

Wall-e was about humans having to leave earth because WE destroyed it...

Yes. 

But again, what does it have to do with global warming? 

The movie dealt with waste and a general message of "Take care of the Earth." 

Is that not a good message for children? Or anybody, really? 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 6:58pm
Gonna split my replies into multiple posts here, because FE's post is gonna take me a second  LOL

Actually, FE was one of the main people I hoped would respond here, not to flame him, but I'm genuinely interested into the ideology behind this trend. Before I write this, know that I'm not condemning or arguing with your points, I do genuinely admire that people are morally driven and stand by those morals. So though I'm going to debate your points, I have absolutely no issue or negative words for your stance.

That said....

Does it bother me that "morgan freeman" aka god from "Bruce Almighty" just called me a racist and the only reason I don't like Obama is his skin color... 

Freeman's remarks were ignorant, no doubt. No argument here. I was especially disappointed by them because I've been a vocal fan of Freeman's work since I was old enough to watch movies, I've always admired his class and intelligence. It was especially disheartening coming from the guy who famously declared that the way to stop racism was to stop talking about it. But politics changes everything, and Obama's supporters know they have to campaign now that the country is rapidly losing its love affair with its president. Unfortunately, the race card can't save Obama (though it may very well have helped him get elected) at this point-whether he deserves the borderline hatred he receives from tea partiers or not, it's his responsibility to fight back. He's not the first president to deal with it (howdy Bush Jr), and others have overcome more harsh criticism. Pulling the race card at this point in the debate is classless and desperate.

Many people can't afford to go to the movies now, because of the 'spreading the wealth' and 'everyone deserves the RIGHT of home ownership' that destroyed so much of our economy and the middle class

I had a great rebuttle to this typed, but I really don't want to turn this into the forum's usual obama / socialism / abortion debate, so I'll just leave it here for now.

And besides that, you're right, alot of people definitely FEEL that this president and his policies have affected their income (whether he has or not is for another argument). So if one is under the impression that liberals and democrats are taking their jobs, burning their women, raping their churches, it would likely affect their perception of character when it comes to actors and entertainers.

But, today many of the film making projects have become a place to indoctrinate, we have countless examples from the past decade about how global warming is destorying the earth, as it is pushed in story lines from our childrens films like "wally" to adventure stories like "waterworld", or "day after tomorrow", or "2012". (all of which I have watched btw).

I'm going to fall back to original point, that some movies are just terrible despite their political bias. Waterworld, Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 are all terrible, big budget stinkers. Also, calling Waterworld o 2012 indoctrinating is a waste of your own intelligence and certainly attributing too much of it to the movies themselves. Day After Tomorrow was open about its plot, so I'll refer you back to my Michael Moore point.

Wall-E is where you lost me though. Wall-E's plot very lightly treads on issue likes littering, irresponsibility, so on and so forth, but these are just plot devices to set up a dystopian romance film. As such, it's one of the best I've seen (and kind of one of the only ones to be fair). Wall-E is just a fantastic movie, from a company that makes fantastic movies. Any politics in that movie are purely imagined.

With the amount of quality film equipment and editing gear there will only be MORE great films in our lifetimes. Political ideology will affect the box office, but over time it all equals out, and you will end up with more and more great film work, for less money. Which will force studios to change their business model, and that change will affect Hollywood in ways I don't even think THEY realize yet...

Actually, I'd love it if politics stayed as far away from movies as possible. I'm reminded of the SImpsons episode where the judge puts a restraining order between science and religon.

Political motivation in a movie, with rare exceptions, does one of two things-it either permanently dates the movie, making it inaccessible for any generation past the one watching it, or it polarizes the movie and forces half the audience out of the room.

I personally enjoy my movies as an escapism art, or as character studies. One notable exception to the rule is Born on the Fourth of July. I was raised not being allowed to watch that movie, as my dad was a Vietnam vet and a Marine (a double whammy against this movie for those that have seen it), but I've found to be the most emotional, heart wrenching view from an anti-war perspective of any movie I've seen. And of course, the man it's about earned his right to say anything he wanted about any subject. I only watched this movie for the first time a few days ago, and I was blown away.

Again, I have no problem with consumers sending their money to causes they support. It just seems to be you have to really bend at the neck to read political messages into some movies, and as for actors, they are in the end actors. In all likelihood, there are very few of them that any of us "normal folks" would be able to tolerate for more than 5 minutes.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 7:11pm

Probably confirmation bias and a desire not to be faced with a cognitive dissonance - in the form of a defensive mode or avoiding the Semmelweis reflex. 

This is basically how I feel. Humanity in general has a major issue being confronted with ideas and thought processes that counter their own, and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

I don't know if I'll see another film with Morgan Freeman because of how he feels about what I believe.  And really not how he feels about it, but in the manner he said it.  I wonder how he feels about Herman Cain?

Probably indifferent, to be honest.

I imagine that celebrities deal with massively inflated egos, and Freeman is a well respected / well known actor. I'm sure in his mind he thought that him making a drastic statement on such a hot topic issue would in some way change the tide to benefit his own politics. I'd call it a PR stunt, but I think that these actors sometimes forget that they don't control the public at all. Regardless, he's earned all the backlash that he gets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic