FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Steve Jobs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 3:11pm
Who was Steve Jobs?

bootstraps baby!
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 7:04pm
You know, I'm not going to short-sell Jobs' greatness. The man had a gift, that's for sure, but I'm sick and tired of hearing all types of things attributed to his "genius" that simply weren't his ideas.

Things I've seen attributed to Jobs that he didn't create:

-Computer Mice
-Graphical User Interface
-Tablet PCs
-MP3 Players
-Multipurpose "Smart" phones
-The PC
-Stylus/Touchscreen interface

etc.

He was a fantastic business manager, and one hell of a marketing guru, but he wasn't responsible for those, or any of a number of other things he is being quoted as inventing.

Edited by tallen702 - 06 October 2011 at 7:04pm
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 7:27pm
Tallen you're missing the point. People aren't (or shouldnt) be saying he invented those things, however he was undeniably formative in their role/ prevalence in the world we live in. No he didn't invent the mouse, but he was who picked it up and integrated it into a visual UI and standardized it. If it wasn't him, it would have been someone else, but it WAS him, whether it came from xerox or not.

He wasn't an inventor, he was an innovator, and he could look at existing products and see what they should be and where they should be. Before him, design was considered a vain optional extra with no impact on ROI. He showed that was not the case, and changed the industry heavily.

No, he didn't invent smartphones, but your head is up your ass if you think the iPhone isn't largely to thank for much of what is now expected of our phones.

Nobody thinks he invented tablet PC's, but can you remember how much interest there really was before the iPad? It had been tried and failed several times, but it took the iPad to push the market into "we're ready and interested" mode, and that was when the iPad wasn't even that remarkable in terms of features.

Basically, you're missing the point, and people who think he 'invented' those things are too, however saying those things would be what they are without him is just ignorant.

I know things like this obviously are much more related to my daily life than some, but stil
Worth a short read from Yves Behar

Edited by choopie911 - 06 October 2011 at 7:28pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Tallen702 Tallen702 wrote:

He was a fantastic business manager, and one hell of a marketing guru, but he wasn't responsible for those, or any of a number of other things he is being quoted as inventing.

Totally agree with this statement.

I do believe he deservers all the recognition he gets for business and marketing abilities though. The guy was a true business genius, probably one of the greatest marketing men in our time. Very few men in his position take on being both the head of a company AND it's image without coming across as egocentric. This guy was just passionate about his product, and that transcends any opinions I have about said product.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:05pm
stratoaxe: exactly. You could completely dislike every apple product and their business practices, but his influence on the modern world is huge.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:33pm
Come on guys, its too zune for us to be debating about this.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:38pm
Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile either. He created the consumer market for the automobile. 

Thus is the applicable analogy. 

Xerox had the boxes in a basement doing nothing. Jobs made a consumer market for the idea. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

pepprdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zeus of the Mod Squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepprdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 8:41am
There are things he didn't directly invent but many were his ideas that were put into actual use/production.

NRA Certified;Range Safety officer
NRA Certified Instructor:     
Basic Pistol-Home Firearm Safety-Ohio Concealed Carry
"Refuse to be a victim"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:47am
More important than his "products" was his ability to create buzz. He KNEW and understood how to create not just a cool product, but an "identity" product.

That is what set him and Apple apart.

I never personally purchased an Apple product, because I'm in marketing and I don't easily believe the hype... When purchasing a computer, I realize that buying cheap is the way to go, as computers change so fast that buying the name brand, or the latest and greatest, will only get you about a month before it is outdated...

Apple computers work great, but they aren't perfect, any more than a well built PC is great or horrible... Check the consumer reports, research users opinions and find one that works for you. Unless brands are important to you...

And Steve Jobs was a king at making people buy into the "brand" of Apple.

That was his genius, He made many bombs, but they all had lots of "hype" behind their release. The information was kept secret, then a BIG rollout with much fanfair.

The white earbuds litterally sparked a revolution.

Course I remember the newton... The original "ipad" and the way it tanked as the technology wasn't there yet. I also remember tons of people buying the newton convinced that it was exactly what they needed... And I NEVER heard them badmouth it even after it quietly went away.

That is some powerful branding!
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:49am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

The white earbuds litterally sparked a revolution.

That was probably painful. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:57am
As mentioned, I don't drink the cool-aid, but have to admit when using my wifes Apple laptop, that some of the controls are pretty neat. Very intuitive and you definitely miss them when they are not at your fingertips. They come with some pretty cool media software as well.  Anyone into that really seems to be into Apple.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 11:34am
FE got it pretty close. Jobs was never really an inventor. He wasn't our generation's Edison. He was a genius in marketing, PT Barnum of consumer electronics.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 11:55am
He did manage to create one of the most fanatical fan bases in the history of marketing.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:27pm

Steve Jobs is a perfect example of the American Dream achieved.

Just think how many kids have been aborted that might have been the next Steve Jobs...

Luckily Abortion was illegal when he was born, else we wouldn't even know him...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 07 October 2011 at 12:35pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:54pm

So even Øbama tweeted about Steve Jobs death... Nothing like turning his death into a reminder that Obama is running for office... Classy.

'Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. From all of us at #Obama2012, thank you for the work you make possible every day - including ours.'

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:56pm
Obama is running for president?  I had forgotten all about that!
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 1:24pm
Congratulations FE, you managed to throw abortion into another thread.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 1:41pm
I was going to edit or rebuke you for being rude enough to work political rhetoric into a thread where politics should be left aside....but I'm going to leave it up to you to remove that or take the well deserved abuse that comes from here on out.

Because that's just really, REALLY bad taste.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

So his mom getting pregnant by a guy on her dorm floor, wouldn't end in abortion today?...

Abortion wasn't an option in 1955...

According to statistics, the "steve jobs" of today has been aborted. That fact isn't "mean" or abusive, or political, but a fact of life...

Are we not allowed to speak the truth today?

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 07 October 2011 at 1:47pm
Ruska View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Rhymes with ... er, Tuska!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

So his mom getting pregnant by a guy on her dorm floor, wouldn't end in abortion today?...

Abortion wasn't an option in 1955...

According to statistics, the "steve jobs" of today has been aborted. That fact isn't "mean" or abusive, or political, but a fact of life...

Are we not allowed to speak the truth today?

Have some class......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic