Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at this 98 setup for woodsball....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
freemik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at this 98 setup for woodsball....
    Posted: 29 September 2011 at 11:05pm
I've been out of paintball for a while about 10 years, hence I'm putting this in the new players forum. I already know I'm a woods player and not a speedball player. I'm not really interested in the newer tippmanns as I like the feel of the 98. From what I understand I can obtain the same or better performance with some upgrades. I can get all this from a local shop for 600 slightly used (some kid bought it all and thought paintball hurt). Is this a good setup and is there anything that might be troublesome down the road? The guy at the shop told me it would easily keep up with any electro marker (which I find hard to believe, but maybe I'm wrong). I know BPS is kind of pointless, but I don't know much about the cyclone and it's potential with upgrades. I don't like to be bs'd either lol.

Tippmann 98 Custom ACT Platinum Series
E-Trigger W.A.S. board
Flatline barrel
Tippmann 98 Custom Cyclone Feed System
TechT Tippmann Cyclone Feed Vortex Mod
TechT Tippmann Lightening Rod
TechT Tippmann Q.E.P.H
TechT Tippmann Squishy Paddles
Rufus Dawg Wicked Bolt
TechT Tippmann 98 Fang Trigger
Crossfire SS Carbon Fiber Compressed Air Tank 68/4500
Rufus Dawg Bottle Drop System

A side note can an admin change my user name to freemike or freemike86 if the first one is not available...
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 8:30am
Well, that seems just a tad pricey to me for a used marker no matter how slightly used.  For $400, you could get yourself a brand new X7 Phenom electro-mechanical marker.  Can use C02 or HPA.  Very accurate for a Tippmann thanks to the new valve design.  If the battery dies while in a game, you can switch it over to mechanical mode and still play.  The other $200 you could buy cosmetic or functional upgrades.  I know you like the 98, but if you have that kind of money and it has to be a Tippmann, the Phenom is a good marker.  Pick one up and see how it feels in your hands.

Edited by StormyKnight - 30 September 2011 at 8:31am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 9:10am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Well, that seems just a tad pricey to me for a used marker no matter how slightly used.  
Shop around on Ebay. I am certain you can get a similiar setup for probably 1/2 that price. $600 is a LOT of green for a 98. Granted, the tank is worth at least $100, so really you're paying $500 for the marker, but it's still a lot. I would think you could build it new for that price. As mentioned, the X7 Phenom can be had for that kind of money.

Typically, to price a used Tippmann, I would take the cost of the marker and all the accessories new and cut it in half. You can find used 98's on Ebay with E-grips often times in the $100 range.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
CHiKUN_PiMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHiKUN_PiMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 11:23am
I'd go with the phenom for that price(or hell, try and look around for an e-bolted 98 if you're that fond of them).
Just know that if you're going to be dropping money into a Tippmann that you probably won't get much of it back.
Ignorance is bliss, why aint you smilin?
Arson24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arson24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 2:06pm
would say Phenom before that package
a 98 is a great system but a phenom is better

MY TIPPMANN COLLECTION
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 10:17am
Go with the Phenom, it's the better platform you will get better peformance out the box than you'd get with that 98.
Rootbeer2468 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootbeer2468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:43pm
I wouldn't even get the e-trigger.  I only use semi because i think its a waste of paintif you use full auto and other modes . although 30 bps on full auto is pretty bad ass
Tippmann 98C Platinum
Apex 2
Cyclone feed system
Tapco folding stock
monsterhats View Drop Down
Spamqueen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterhats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 2:45am
-Deleted-Spam-Advertising

Edited by pepprdog - 17 February 2012 at 9:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic