FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ive Recently Updated...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ive Recently Updated...
    Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:30pm
...to a brand new 4G "superphone" and things are completely different.

I lost my blackberry last week and I needed a replacement, so instead of getting the same-old-same-old, I got a new Samsung Galaxy S II. The thing is a beast and I've never used anything like it outside of an actual computer. It has a 1.2GHz dual-core processor and has 1 gig of RAM. The screen is a 4.3" AMOLED touchscreen. It runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It's my first time using Android and I've got no complaints so far!

Another thing to be noted is the 8mp camera with 1080p recording and auto focus. This phone pretty much beats the iphone 4 in every way except for screen resolution. But before you point out my apples to oranges debate, all i'm saying is that the iphone 5 (or 4S or whatever its gunna be) might have a hard time keeping up with the latest generation Android phones.

I suppose you can say this is a general smartphone thread.

PS: I know the battery life is sucky, but its really fast... I'd compare it to a supercar, it goes super fast but has bad gas mileage. No worries, thats what car chargers are for!
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:50pm
I got an HTC Inspire a few months ago.  I love it so far.  1000Mhz processor, 768 MB RAM, 8.0 MP camera.  Plenty fast for my time killing needs.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:59pm
A friend of mine just got the Galaxy SII as well and I totally agree, that thing is a beast. I still love my iPhone 4 because of what I want, but I'm really happy to see Android finally kicking ass the way it is. If they keep pushing like they are, it makes others innovate to keep up/ ahead so it's win-win regardless of platform.

Congrats on the new phone, it must be a crazy change.
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 8:37am
Lol I did the same change, reg phone to the galaxy SII aswell. Its pretty nice.

One thing I dont like about some of the apps though are some of hte permissions they ask. For example The tiny flashlight app.
"allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing."

Why the heck would I want that. Give some random third party the ability to to listen into conversations, collect watever I maybe taking pictures of.

Guarantee that dudes hard drive has questionable material on it.

Another thing about the galaxy 2 that youll soon realize comming from a bb is there is no indicator light! You gotta download one. That rubbed me the wrong way.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by little devil little devil wrote:

One thing I dont like about some of the apps though are some of hte permissions they ask. For example The tiny flashlight app.
"allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing."

Why the heck would I want that. Give some random third party the ability to to listen into conversations, collect watever I maybe taking pictures of.

The flashlight uses the flash from the camera.  You have to give the app access to the camera for it to turn the flash on.

little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

Originally posted by little devil little devil wrote:

The flashlight uses the flash from the camera.  You have to give the app access to the camera for it to turn the flash on.

Which I understand. I dont understand why they need to collect pictures and vid from my phone though. Seems like somthing that doesnt need to happen for them to access the cameras flash.

So now to use the light I just film watever im trying to find.  
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:27pm
I LOVE my Droid X2.
You should download Juice Defender, when im not at work (0-1 bars) and listening to music, it says it extends my battery life by 1.7x. I know 4g uses a bit more battery, but it definitely helped me out. On a weekend where I shut myself off and dont text/use it, I have about 80% battery life when I go to bed.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
harshieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harshieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 12:11am
LOL. I love Droid but I'm open to new updates.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 12:20am
I'm hoping to join the smartphone world with an iPhone 5 at the end of next month (or whenever it shows up).

From what I've seen, the Android stuff out there is very hit or miss in terms of hardware.  I also think that Apple still has the better set of apps in general, although Android is certainly not lagging far behind.  I guess I'll get to compare, once I get Android onto my Touchpad and have an iPhone.
BU Engineering 2012
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 1:31am
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I'm hoping to join the smartphone world with an iPhone 5 at the end of next month (or whenever it shows up).

From what I've seen, the Android stuff out there is very hit or miss in terms of hardware.  I also think that Apple still has the better set of apps in general, although Android is certainly not lagging far behind.  I guess I'll get to compare, once I get Android onto my Touchpad and have an iPhone.
Did you pick up the TP during the firesale?  The website was a nightmare of sluggishness when I tried to get one.  Drove all over hell's half acre in my area trying to find one as well.  Lucky bastard...
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 7:54am

From what I've seen, the Android stuff out there is very hit or miss in terms of hardware.  

You are only buying one phone.  Buy one of the hits.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 8:36am
I was looking forward to the Bionic.  From all accounts sounds like a nice phone.  I've heard issues with the screen being too pixelated due to the Pentile matrix display like the X2 and Droid3.  Have to look at one in person before I make up my mind.  I'll probably make it my backup plan since the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is due to hit the shelves the first week of November.  That is boasting some serious stats.  Basically a Galaxy SII with higher resolution and a 4.5+" screen.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 9:00am
Sounds good, but imo I think a 4.3" screen is more than big enough. Honestly, anything more is like having a tablet in your pocket lol.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 28 September 2011 at 9:01am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Did you pick up the TP during the firesale?  The website was a nightmare of sluggishness when I tried to get one.  Drove all over hell's half acre in my area trying to find one as well.  Lucky bastard...

Yeah, I happened to be up at 1 AM and surfing hardforum after my last day at work for the summer.  It took them over a month to ship it, which was annoying, but I got a 32GB for $150 so it's hard to complain.

Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

From what I've seen, the Android stuff out there is very hit or miss in terms of hardware.  

You are only buying one phone.  Buy one of the hits.

Eh, I'm already decided on the iPhone.  But most of my senior design group has Android phones, and two of them are utter crap (HTC something or others, maybe Incredibles? Not sure.), while the other one is decent.  It seems like going with a newly released Android phone is somewhat riskier in terms of actual capabilities than the iPhone.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 28 September 2011 at 9:37am
BU Engineering 2012
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 6:33pm
Good call on my part (if I may say so myself).

Nothing really special about the iPhone 4S.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Good call on my part (if I may say so myself).

Nothing really special about the iPhone 4S.

The main focus seems to be on the new iOS 5, not the hardware. Biggest perk of the new iPhone is availability to Sprint customers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 10:57pm
Looks like I'm picking up an iPhone 4S.  Now the question is do I try it on Friday when it's all mayhem?
BU Engineering 2012
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 7:03am
I'll most likely pick up a 4S. I'm going to go to the AT&T store for preorder and get my unlimited plan grandfathered. 

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I'll most likely pick up a 4S. I'm going to go to the AT&T store for preorder and get my unlimited plan grandfathered. 

Good luck with that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 12:33pm
I don't know about AT&T, but my brother in law had absolutely no issues getting his Verizon unlimited data plan grandfathered in.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic