FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Orchestra 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Orchestra 2
    Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:51pm
Just got my release copy. Far better than original, single player mode so I do not need the slow satellite internet. Real Infantry combat, and hard, a lot of commands plus squad commands. Have not even got to church, 1st obj 1st mission. Russians dug in lick ticks, never even see the one that gets me. Lot of dust, in air, poor visability, rounds zinging all over, its Stalingrad.

AI is fantastic, Russians just don't DIP (die in place) they move, shoot, grenades, booby traps, charge at you with bayonet, one popped up from under rubble and tried to knife me. Butt stroked him and had to pound him several times to get him to die.

Sounds are great you can hear real bullet sounds (know that sound), hear floors creeking as you walk on them, even shuffle sounds as you try to be quiet as possible as you move.

No ammo counter you got to check if you forget, no pippers or heads up, sweat gets in your eyes blurring vision, dust, helmet shadows, sun, almost too real. Right now I stopped and took a break. still stuck in hole by a wall near chuch. Every time I try to peek to the side or through the small hole in wall a round zings by, others in squad are down, and the our MG is almost out of ammo, don't see a good outcome here.

Reccomend this one
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:12pm
So do you play the squad leader?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 8:02pm
So far just a soldat rifleman, and even that is a caotic run through the streets dodgin way too much. You even got to get your wounds bandaged or you do it or you can bleed out. So far one russian with a MG is holding everyone up.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 8:08pm
Is there a demo or anything? This sounds badass. Also, have you played Bad Company 2 OS? If so, what's your opinion?
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 8:51pm
Got a great review from IGN that piqued my interest. When I gain meaningful employment it'll be on my download list as a realism alternative to BF 3.

Also, I love ArmA 2 and it's expansion. Downloaded them for 14 bucks from Amazon, my only gripe is that it's a major system hog. If you can run it, I highly recommend it.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Butt stroked him and had to pound him several times

I would never have seen this coming from you...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

All's fair in love and war.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 11:05pm
Also found out that even stone walls get punched through with 7.62R, that russian MG finally got me with a burst that penatrated the wall. Again almost too realilistic, no more picking cover based on its just there, accurate bullet penitration, you ought to see the splinters fly when bullets punch through wood walls and fences.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 3:00am

Also found out that even stone walls get punched through with 7.62R, that russian MG finally got me with a burst that penatrated the wall. Again almost too realilistic, no more picking cover based on its just there, accurate bullet penitration, you ought to see the splinters fly when bullets punch through wood walls and fences.

I'm really wanting to give this a shot, it's exactly why I'm enjoying Bad Company 2 so much. No more hiding behind a plaster wall from a tank or heavy machine gun or what have you. You run into a building to hide? They blow a hole in it or just keep gunning. Ducked behind cover? It will get chipped away, or blown up all together. Driving a tank and a house is in your way? Not anymore it isnt.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 11:03am
Been playing RO2 for a couple weeks now, it's alright.  Certainly doesn't compare to the complexity of ACE for ArmA II, but definitely the best WW2 shooter out there.  The cover mechanics are excellent (although I don't know how they compare to RO1, never having played it), but the single player is absolutely terrible.  I don't even know why they included it.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 12:28pm
Single player was included for the non internet or slow internet player.
Original RO was good, this is an improvement in all aspects. Once you get the controls mastered and don't rush in, a little thinking, you can survive. Doing squad leader position now, doing ok, still getting used to controls.

My internet too slow being satellite but did do online last night. Jumpy but did quite well.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Been playing RO2 for a couple weeks now, it's alright.  

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 12:24am
Hahahaha!

I'm used to ACE mod, where you're balancing three radios as a squad leader, talking to your fireteam leaders/platoon commander, bringing in CAS sorties, and generally more technical things than "sit here with a machinegun and shoot the entire enemy team as they pop out those doors".

I think the game could use more combined arms.  It doesn't feel particularly worth my $24 even as a realistic WWII answer to CoD.
BU Engineering 2012
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 6:36pm
Party at Pavlov's House!

Pretty sure my steam is Glassjaw, if anyone wants to play.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 6:57pm

your name is mbecker i think glassjaw. You can search him with "Glassjaw" .  I sent you an invite to friend but it says you haven't been on in over 1 year.  shens?  

I might get back into RO soon

Edited by Lightningbolt - 10 October 2011 at 6:59pm
Sent from a phone booth
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

your name is mbecker i think glassjaw. You can search him with "Glassjaw" .  I sent you an invite to friend.  

I might get back into RO soon

Question

Might be Glassjaw212.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 7:01pm
Did they incorporate real forest into ro2?
Sent from a phone booth
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 7:10pm
No.  All of the battles take place in / around Stalingrad AFAIK.  There are a few mods in production though that will have more varying maps.  One of these mods is called In Country: Vietnam which will, of course, feature lush forestry.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2011 at 10:25pm
I gotta say, after playing it some more, I am really enjoying the CQB.  I don't think there's anything more visceral out right now.

As I said before, it's definitely a more casual game though.  It's suiting my style of play a little better because I can only get on for a few hours every week due to school and looking for a job.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic