Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need help getting a barrel!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Nice Zombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Nice Zombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help getting a barrel!!!
    Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:20pm
I have recently got a new tippmann a5, and on the whole, I love it! There is just one thing that bothers me, and that is the fact that I have to constantly 'lob' the paintballs just to get people from 75ft. away, only to get them explode on low-lying tree branches. What I really want is a barrel that means I can look down the sights to shoot, like a real gun (under $100). I play woods ball, so weight isn't really an issue. A lot of people have recommended a 14' barrel kit. Can anyone else expand on this?
Granite Gargoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:22pm
Hehe I posted about that same problem :)
TippmannParts Tech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannParts Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 1:51pm
Sure, I can help ya. I posted this earlier for another user 
There are three main kinds of barrels: Smooth bore, Rifled, and Specialty 
Smooth bore barrels are just that smooth bored barrels whose slick interior helps reduce friction and stress on balls allowing them to shoot using less air power, fly straighter and farther.  In this category I recommend the J&J barrels in A5 threads and the Lapco Bigshot barrels in A5 thread.  
Rifled barrels have riflings that in a perfect world (with perfect paint) would spin the paintball giving it more accuracy.  Unfortunately paintballs are not perfectly round and unless you want to use expensive paint I would stay away from rifled barrels to begin with.  However I have known many people who SWEAR by their hammerhead barrels (and I am sure someone below me will talk about them later)
Specialty barrels include the flatline and the apex.  .  You can fit on the new A5 threaded APEX 2.  which can in fact allow you to curve your shots by adding backspin to your shots (you have to use a harder paint in all specialty barrels so no evil in your apex) you can even fit the apex onto your lapco or J&J barrel if you get the apex ready, or assault tip style.  Also the Flatline barrel adds a backspin the the ball giving you maximum range.

Overall I would recommend using the smooth bore style you get great accuracy for the price, my personal favorite (and what I use) is a 12 in Lapco Bigshot with Apex ready tip and an Apex 2 barrel kit.  it gives you the accuracy of the smooth bore (lapco are the best by far) and the flexibility of the Apex 2

Edited by TippmannParts Tech - 29 September 2011 at 3:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic