FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where I've been for a week (Pics too)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where I've been for a week (Pics too)
    Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:56am
Can't believe its been a week already.

You'll recall from the Hurricane Irene thread that I talked about my parent's house being washed away. For the last week or so I've been in knee-waist deep water gathering what we could of our belongings over a 2 mile stretch of river.

My parents and sister are doing about as well as can be given the circumstances. On monday morning, after spending a night with the neighbors, they decided to make a break for my grandmother's house- a mile down the road from where theirs used to be. The roads were washed out (read: Gone) so they took paths through the woods, with 4 dogs and a cat, and whatever they could carry on their backs. We got to the area just about the time the fire department and County Sheriff were mounting a rescue mission on ATV's to get up there and get them and anyone else living above them on the dead end road.

When we found them, they were without power, but doing alright at my grandmother's place. they opted to stay rather than evacuate so they could at lease be close to the river to start picking up the pieces when the water receded. After we checked on them, my wife and I stayed with the fire department and checked the rest of the residents in the 'Hollow' Some had generators and were all set, a few needed water and some food, and at one point we had to ford a river with ATVs to get to some people. One life was lost when a house was picked up, spun 180 degrees, and sent downriver about a hundred yards into the woods- while her husband watched from the separate garage and the FD was unable to help due to 4' of water moving at 40 miles an hour running between them.

Tuesday morning on was spent in the water and on the banks looking for stuff. We found a lot, but not enough. We recovered my gun safe, battered and full of water and silt. The pieces inside need a LOT of work to get them cleaned up, if its possible at all. Of the loose pieces, we recovered about half a dozen, including my 1853 Enfield, which is destroyed. The first piece we found was really the only one I cared a lot about, my father's Remington Zouave rifle that my mother had bought for him when they were dating.

You find the strangest crap too- we picked up about 300 pictures from the wreckage. Someone even found our son's sonogram picture that we gave to my mom when the wife was pregnant. Like- all the pictures that MATTER were found. Weddings, christenings, stuff like that. very, very strange.

It's been a hell of a week. Here's a few pictures that my wife took- We've got a few from where the house was too, but I don't much care to look at them, so you don't get to either.

this is looking up the road- Gentlemen, its HERE that it dawned on me that my wife is one hell of a trooper. After she took this, she joined me and two other fire department members as we stood to our knees in the water trying to clear the culvert pipe under this water to try and get the water off the road. Fun fact: the culvert pipe below this is actually a section of 5' diameter boiler....it was packed full of debris, which is what caused the water to go over the road.

This is a section of road below where the house used to be....and it's been cleared up. On the left is what used to be their pop-up camper...parts of it. I found the rest 2 miles away.

Pile of rubble that used to be the house. There are dozens of piles like this strewn over 2 miles on both sides of the bank.

This depressed me when I came upon it. My father brought back a HUGE stuffed St. Bernard dog for my son when he chaperoned a senior class trip last spring. Jack loved this thing, but we literally had no room for it in the apartment, so we left it at my parent's house. Here's the head. The shredded body is a quarter mile upstream.

This is the bridge that the house hit after it was washed away. To the right of this shot is the neighbor's house, and the woman in there watched as out place smashed into the bridge and broke into pieces. To the left of here is a flat where we found a LOT of stuff, and where a lot of things are going to remain buried forever I think....we found dad's generator buried to the point where the only thing sticking above the dirt and rocks were the tops of the rails and fuel cap....gives you an idea how much stuff was being washed around.

My parent's insurance company is giving them a grand total of $0 because they didn't have flood insurance....because they were told by this same company that they didn't NEED it since they weren't in a flood plane. FEMA told them that the maximum they could get from them is $30K, which isn't even a dent in what they have left in their mortgage. Dad's refiling the insurance claim as 'hurricane damage' rather than 'flood' to see if that makes a difference. Consensus is that it should, but we'll see what happens.

So yeah. There's that. It's been a long ass week.

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:01pm
Wow, that's terrible.  I hope you can get the insurance company to cover it.
BU Engineering 2012
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:06pm
Thats rough man, thats what a lot of people in Minot are still dealing with. Hopefully you guys can get it sorted and can get some kind of help with things.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Thats rough man, thats what a lot of people in Minot are still dealing with. Hopefully you guys can get it sorted and can get some kind of help with things.

the whole community is in rough shape at the moment- two or three towns over, there's almost nothing left of the main street, and the whole area is a federally declared disaster area.

That being the case though, my parent's neighbors are coming through in spades for them. One of them even offered to rebuild my sister's grooming shop for her (was on the property with the house) and has scared up some furniture for her, people are just handing them cash and gift cards...they're making out alright, the people in the area are being really, really great to them. One guy offered up a storage locker for furniture they might gather until they have a permanent place to live again. They've also been offered up 3 places to live right now, but I think they're staying where they are for the time being. So they're piecing things together.

The GOOD news is....it'll be an easy Christmas to shop for this year.
The BAD news is....of all the ammo cans I had in the house, the one that got found was the one with baseball cards in it. Angry

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:25pm

I'm glad that you're family made it out alive.  Hopefully this next Hurricane doesn't hit you guys

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

I'm glad that you're family made it out alive.  Hopefully this next Hurricane doesn't hit you guys

If it does, at least they won't lose the house.

Ermm

Edited by Reb Cpl - 05 September 2011 at 1:03pm

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:23pm
Way to look at the bright side of things lol. Sorry for your guyses loss.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 1:24pm
Any news on the insurance Reb?  
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 3:50pm
Yeah, when do you get your cut?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 5:36pm
No real news as of yet. One of our big clients at work is an Insurance agent, he told me to pass his number on to them for some advice and guidance on the measure.

But with all the damage, the insurance companies are doing a lot of dancing about in an effort to make no payments to anyone.

People WITH flood insurance are being told that they're not covered for hurricanes, and one guy I know isn't getting flood coverage because the water in his house was from runoff, not the river, and home owners insurance isn't covering anything because the house was flooded.

I'm really starting to see the racket behind homeowner's insurance. Its really a joke- Nobody I know who took water or storm damage is getting good news from insurance companies, regardless of their coverage status.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 08 September 2011 at 5:38pm

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

No real news as of yet. One of our big clients at work is an Insurance agent, he told me to pass his number on to them for some advice and guidance on the measure. But with all the damage, the insurance companies are doing a lot of dancing about in an effort to make no payments to anyone. People WITH flood insurance are being told that they're not covered for hurricanes, and one guy I know isn't getting flood coverage because the water in his house was from runoff, not the river, and home owners insurance isn't covering anything because the house was flooded. I'm really starting to see the racket behind homeowner's insurance. Its really a joke- Nobody I know who took water or storm damage is getting good news from insurance companies, regardless of their coverage status.

I have a feeling that lawyers and your State's Attorney General are going to be getting involved very soon. About a decade ago, we had massive flooding in WV. People who lived on hill sides had their houses washed away and homeowner's claimed they needed flood insurance (which they did, actually) So they got screwed, but the catch was that it was from simple excessive rain, not a named hurricane/tropical storm. The reality is that if they deny you on the hurricane issue, you need to get some counsel and go after their asses with extreme prejudice, when pushed in a court of law, especially if you opt for a jury trial in a civil case, they'll fold for a settlement.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 6:17pm
Wow, that's crazy. It's weird how even a smaller hurricane devastates families. Best of luck with your insurance claims though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic