FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government Blocks AT&T - T-Mobile Merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government Blocks AT&T - T-Mobile Merger
    Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:47am
Link.

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

The Justice Department filed suit Wednesday to block AT&T's $39 billion deal to buy T-Mobile USA on grounds that it would raise prices for consumers.

The government contends that the acquisition of the No. 4 wireless carrier in the country by No. 2 AT&T would reduce competition and thus lead to price increases.

Isn't this like communism or some crap like that?

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:19pm
Communism is awesome.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Communism is awesome.

Good Answer, Comrade.....No Gulag for you and an extra bottle of vodka and roll of toilet paper for you.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Not in the slightest way, no.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 1:17pm
AT&T aquiring any service is bad juju.

Encouraging competition is as capitalistic as it gets.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 3:52pm

From my understanding, the main reason AT&T wanted to buy them up was for their infrastructure, not to get rid of competition. Also hearing part of the merger deal was an agreement to bring 5k call center jobs back to the U.S. and as well as another potential 80k+ jobs to further expand the infrastructure. Sounded like a win/win situation to me.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 5:16pm
DOJ took ur jerb.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

DOJ took ur jerb.
Not really, my pay scale is pretty far above call center flunky. However, it does seem like it would have some fairly decent lower end positions. Infrustructure build ups could have brought in some nice revenue though. In the end it may have affected me if it brought an increase in communications hardware investment. The electronic component industry could use a nice uptick in demand. Lots of inventory on the shelf these days. So in that respect, yeah it could have had some effect on me I guess.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Almost the opposite, really. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:39pm
Atlas is shrugging.

I'm actually surprised this didn't go through. I'm sure it will in a few years. As a T-Mobile customer, I was already expecting for them to raise my plan price, as soon as my contract ended.

Leaving me to choose between AT&T and Verizon, both having highest prices out there.

AT&T already has a strangle hold on the world market. They first went out to conquer the rest of the world, and now they are working on the U.S. Scary to think, that pretty much all fiber optic cables running under the ocean, are owned by AT&T.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Atlas is shrugging.

What is this I don't even.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 7:35pm

Scary to think, that pretty much all fiber optic cables running under the ocean, are owned by AT&T.

I bet they're intercepting secret government transmissions and modifying them to suit their own agenda!

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

From my understanding, the main reason AT&T wanted to buy them up was for their infrastructure, not to get rid of competition. Also hearing part of the merger deal was an agreement to bring 5k call center jobs back to the U.S. and as well as another potential 80k+ jobs to further expand the infrastructure. Sounded like a win/win situation to me.

Maybe they could hire all the Sprint employees that would lose their jobs after the company turned belly up.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 8:40pm

Scary to think, that pretty much all fiber optic cables running under the ocean, are owned by AT&T.
I could be wrong, but would venture a guess that they own them because they are the ones that laid them? I remember a time when Ma Bell owned everything phone related.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:00pm

I could be wrong, but would venture a guess that they own them because they are the ones that laid them? I remember a time when Ma Bell owned everything phone related.

Wow I never could have put 2 and 2 together. Thanks OPBN!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:13pm
Wait wait wait.... See, Cingular bought the old AT&T wireless and Cingular was SBC and Bell South working together. Then SBC bought out the non-wireless end of AT&T. Then, SBC acquired Bell South. So this lawsuit has no merit as AT&T isn't merging with/acquiring anyone. It's SBC that would be acquiring T-Mobile, not AT&T since AT&T technically doesn't exist anymore as anything other than a logo.

Also, plenty of competition out there. Cricket, Virgin, Tracphone, et cetera. And finally, I want my AT&T phone to work not only in the wilds of West Virginia (where it does quite well though no other company does) but also in the middle of Alexandria, VA (where AT&T sucks, but T-Mobile rules).
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:50pm
Agreed, tallen. The stats in the article I read were making it sound like only 4 cell providers existed. Confused
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:59pm

Wow I never could have put 2 and 2 together. Thanks OPBN!

No problem. Here to help.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 4:07pm

Wow I never could have put 2 and 2 together.

See, given your previous posts in a number of other threads, that's a legitimate concern.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 4:19pm
Honestly, after trying to truly determine who owns the TAT, it's kinda murky. It simply says a consortium of telecommunications companies own it. Couldnt really find a break down showing any percentages or what, so actually my statement could be totally wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic