FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head scarf ban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head scarf ban
    Posted: 31 August 2011 at 10:48am
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/new-york/muslims-police-scuffle-rye-playland-over-amusement-park-123309825.html

Originally posted by Cited Article Cited Article wrote:

Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

IMO, if they went there knowing this ahead of time, they were looking for a fight.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:12am
That's just stupid. I've been asked to remove my hat before riding coasters in the past. I took the hat off and enjoyed the ride. It's a fairly simple rule to follow.

They're half right trying to play the victim here. Victims of their own ignorance.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:13am
No, no . . . it is all part of an Islamaphobic plot to force them to abandon Allah by making them choose between their religion and riding roller-coasters.

/sarcasm

As Forum President, I hereby ban the use of scarves of any kind while foruming . . . for . . . uh safety reasons.  The scarf might get caught on the keyboard which might get dragged to the floor and result in either a nasty choking-related death or at least a serious friction burn.

/further sarcasm

In all seriousness, if they went to the park knowing the rules they were either planning on breaking them or were specifically looking to make a scene.

/not sarcasm
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:20am
they deserved to get beat.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

they deserved to get beat.
If the were inciting a riot, which it appears they were attempting to do, I agree.

I guess part of my aggravation lies in the question of "why is this being reported on"? Why are people that are directly defying a rule clearly stated being given a forum? Pretty pathetic on the reporters part and made worse by their subjective stance.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 31 August 2011 at 11:26am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:27am
"We R being Discriminated cuz we R Muslim!"

* had some one made it clear to the park that they are a Muslim fun seeking bunch with some wearing the hijab, maybe, just maybe this could have been prevented had the rules been known before the trip was booked.*

Edited by Ceesman762 - 31 August 2011 at 11:38am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I guess part of my aggravation lies in the question of "why is this being reported on"? 

It meets social qualifications for newsworthiness. 

And, from the article: 

Quote  "Unfortunately, this turned ugly due to a lot of miscommunication."

This sounds about right. 

It sounds like an unnecessary escalation occurred on both sides of this event, leading to a whole bunch of hoopla. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

This sounds about right. 

It sounds like an unnecessary escalation occurred on both sides of this event, leading to a whole bunch of hoopla. 

No disrespect, but BU....IT.  I will say that the park officials seem like they were expecting trouble due to the fact that police officers were actually already in the park. Most amusement parks I have been to typically have their own security. My guess is that some words were already exchanged prior to the group showing up to the park. Feels like a setup, and of course the people not following the rules get their day in the sun and come across as martyrs.

Next time I go to Cedar Point, I am going to take a bunch of midgets and try get them to bully their way onto the rides and than cry "sizism".  Cause you know it's all about the midgetaphobia sweeping the nation.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 31 August 2011 at 8:49pm
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

. . . from the article: 

What miscommunication?

Also from the article: 
Quote Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:15am
I have never had to remove my hat on a ride. They tell you to because if it falls off it's lost...
Que pasa?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:18am
Maybe had it been done in a high pitched tongue trill.......
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I have never had to remove my hat on a ride. They tell you to because if it falls off it's lost...
I have been asked to remove my glasses, flipflops and hat before, so it must just be dependent on the park/ride.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

choking-related death or at least a serious friction burn.

These are the ever present dangers of my leisure activities.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

choking-related death or at least a serious friction burn.

These are the ever present dangers of my leisure activities.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:41pm
You fight cops, you get beat. I have no pity for you.

It's not a religion thing, it's a "You're a **edited***** retard" thing.

Edited by Linus - 03 September 2011 at 1:41pm

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:59pm

What miscommunication?

I suppose "unneeded escalation" is probably a better way to phrase it. From both parties involved. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic