FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fun Day in the back yard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun Day in the back yard
    Posted: 21 August 2011 at 12:46am
Well a great day. Did my practice laps in prep for my return Sept 11 to the track. Son in law showed up with his girls, 3 all under 10, so Momma had a blast playing 'grandma' between the girls, guineas and the bassets.
Son in law, the one I rebuilt the 71 CB500 for, wanted to know if he could try riding my 94 KDX200 on my track. We went over a few tips and techniques and off he went. From a stiff rigid stance the first few laps to getting the hang of the corners, I walked him through all the primary skills. Weight on the outside peg, body on wheel line during turn, shift weight foward, leg swing to shift weight foward, etc. In about an hour he was getting the hang of it. His primary problem is he is afraid of the power, and the burst of speed when the 2 stroke hits the power band. He 'broncoed' a couple times and was hesitant on really rolling power on. even though it's a 94 I rebuilt engine to a screamer, threw Rich (Troop)the first time rode it.

Now Jimmy (son in law) wants to go with me the Sept 11 and run a beginner class race, just to see if he likes it. We reviewed some You-Tube helmet cams, and other vids of the local tracks. He wants to go, Momma is relieved she no longer has to go, so it is a win-win. A 'pit' crew, and no more 'are we done yet' from da Momma.

BTW neighbor, the farmer down the road, wandered over and watched and then asked if he got a dirt bike could he ride, and asked if I could teach his 12 year old to ride. Even some of my friends from the track want to come over before winter and have a lazy day of tune up riding and general bravo sierra day.

I will try and get some vids up soon, and Momma gave OK for a helmet cam, will save that for next year when I am on the 2012 KX450F.

Its days like today I love, doing things I like, passing on the skills I have, and just having friends and family around.

(really got to get ready for hockey season too, will be doing 3 stick and puck noons a week till season starts (Oct), then a 40 game winter league season. Also got the Mites to coach here coming up...Keeping busy...)
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 10:51am
I hope you got the high def cam.  the original go pro can really tick one off at times.  Are you flat track racing?
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 12:15pm
Motocross
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic