Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Paintball Dead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maiden Hell View Drop Down
Guested - Obscene material

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Paintball Dead?
    Posted: 22 July 2011 at 1:35am

I used to play a few years back and at the time paintball seemed really popular locally and there was alot more people posting on this forum. Anyways I still have my gun and I'm thinking about getting into it again but right now I'd just like to ask is paintball dying? The local field that used to be packed with people is a ghost town and so is this forum basically. What's happening? 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 8:21am
Lots of discussions about this on various forums. While not dying, it seems to be shrinking a bit. Lots of places to look for reasons, but a lot of people tend to agree that the high cost of paintball along with the recession are hitting it hard as it is essentially disposable income spending. Then you take into account the mentality of "more is better" and you start to alienate the beginners who think they can't compete because they don't have an $800+ marker that shoots ropes of paint and you kill your next generation of players off.  Lots of angles on this.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 9:04am
I don't believe it is dying but it has slowed.  Up here in NY I am finding more people hosting outlaw games on private land.  Although some may not think the practice to be safe, they seem to be growing in numbers.  
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 1:01pm
Well now that I think about it I think the big reason why it's gone under out here is because most of the kids who got into it here were posers who just wanted to look cool by having all of the gear and crap. I don't even think they cared much about playing.
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Maiden Hell Maiden Hell wrote:

Well now that I think about it I think the big reason why it's gone under out here is because most of the kids who got into it here were posers who just wanted to look cool by having all of the gear and crap. I don't even think they cared much about playing.

I wouldn't call them "posers". I'm pretty sure that most of the younger generation that started playing paintball or even airsoft, wanted to be the best of the best. At one point, everyone wants to be a "Paintball Sniper", so they go out and by this absurd 21" Barrel from ebay, simply because it's advertised as a "Sniper Barrel". They play a few games, and then they realize that is isn't what they thought it was going to be. On another note, if you look on amazon, and search the term "Tippmann Sniper Barrel", they basically sell really long barrels, for a boatload of money.

By the way, you just joined the Tippmann forum today, most people that join have a question related to their marker not working correctly. It's kind of weird to see someone come on, and start talking about how paintballs dead because the "posers" went on a paintball spending spree to look "cool".

Edited by Hudson - 22 July 2011 at 3:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 6:00pm

I said I played years ago. Infact I used to have an account on this forum with alot of posts.  Now I want to play again because I want to play, not to spend money on crap so I can show it off which is what alot of kids do, at least where I'm from.

stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 6:25pm

I said I played years ago. Infact I used to have an account on this forum with alot of posts.  Now I want to play again because I want to play, not to spend money on crap so I can show it off which is what alot of kids do, at least where I'm from.

got the itch? happens to me every time i walk by and look at the display case in my living room. lot of fire power in there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 7:44pm
What do you mean? Are you saying you keep your paintball guns in a display case in your living room?

Edited by Maiden Hell - 26 July 2011 at 1:27pm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 3:38pm

What do you mean? Are you saying you keep your paintball guns in a display case in your living room?

yep. mostly because it looked stupid empty and i cant bear to get rid of the that are 4 in there. besides they look pretty good if i do say so my self.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 6:39pm
What kind? I don't think I'll be able to get back into it this year unfortunately :(
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 8:35pm

What kind? I don't think I'll be able to get back into it this year unfortunately :(

custom autococker (ODD #0032), '05 0r '06 cyborg with tadao board, tequila sunrise matrix with NYX board frame and eyes, and the work horse of the bunch my '03 DYE matrix LCD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 12:13am

Awesome, I just have a 98c with response trigger, I used to have a 14" smart parts linear barrel but it got lost somewhere. Going to mod the hell out of it once I get some scrilla.

DM613 View Drop Down

another spamqueen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2011 at 3:37am
I do not think he's dying, but has slowed. Up here in New York seems to me that more people outside the law of accommodation on private land games. Although some may not consider that the practice is safe, seems to be growing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2011 at 9:29pm
Totally.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2011 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by DM613 DM613 wrote:

I do not think he's dying, but has slowed. Up here in New York seems to me that more people outside the law of accommodation on private land games. Although some may not consider that the practice is safe, seems to be growing.

You have to be @#$%^&&*^% me. why didn't you just quote me entirely spam queen? and just where are you in The People's Democratic Republic of New York?

Edited by Ceesman762 - 04 August 2011 at 10:19pm
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Tec13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tec13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 11:19am
In Kentucky I deal with or have dealt with paintball stores and fields and work or worked with a good portion of them. There is only 2 fields in the northern part of the state now and only 1 paintball pro shop left. over the past 3 years we have lost 4 fields and 6 stores. I do work at one of the 2 paintball fields that are left and they are a small field that specializes in first time players... Most of there players are all rental gear users and there sales are up right now. We are fairly busy. So That makes me think that there are a lot of people trying the sport out. However I think that the older player base is laying back or shrinking at least in this area. The newer players need be pushed to keep on playing pick up a marker and play!
Markers Currently Own: 160

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiden Hell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 10:00pm

Well I guess it will never die but back when I started in 2005/2006 it was huge. Theres this one field up here in Toronto in the middle of the city called Seargent Splatters. It's a huge indoor scenario field, I've never went but it's definitely the most popular field around here and where most people from miles around play their first game. I think it's been there for over 20 years, and if that place ever goes down then that means things are getting pretty crappy.

Edited by Maiden Hell - 05 August 2011 at 10:07pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 11:24pm
Cost has a ton to do with it. Paintball has always been a fringe business at best. Combine the recession with the fact that the sport is expensive and you get fewer people being able to afford playing. You've got to remember that paintball really is still in its early years. The first game was played only 30 years ago, and it took 10 years for the game to even remotely resemble what we see now.

What you DO see a lot of is the decline of brick-and-mortar paintball stores (Thanks internet warehouse sales! Sure you can sell tanks, but can you fill them?) and fields. Rec fields especially have taken a hit recently as most people will gladly forego the $25 walk-on fee and the likely hood of Field Paint Only to play in woodlands for free with friends. In the area around DC, the fields that have survived the best are those that sit heavily on the speedball end of things. Pev's has turf fields, and PAP up near B-More has more than half of its acreage given over to inflatable fields. The reason they do better than straight rec fields? Very few people can afford to shell out the necessary funds for a full set of PSP-grade bunkers and thus, people who are into that aspect of the sport are more willing to pay the entrance fees, etc.

Paintball may have slowed in growth, but I don't think you'd see so many different Tippmann markers out there if the sport wasn't still growing. Even WGP has more markers in production now than it did 4 years ago.
Tec13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tec13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

What you DO see a lot of is the decline of brick-and-mortar paintball stores (Thanks internet warehouse sales! Sure you can sell tanks, but can you fill them?).......    .....Paintball may have slowed in growth, but I don't think you'd see so many different Tippmann markers out there if the sport wasn't still growing. Even WGP has more markers in production now than it did 4 years ago.

I agree with tallen702!!! They cant fill air tanks and they have no service department that dose not cost you shipping to get it to them, and you cant see what you are really getting before you buy it... I dont thing the sport is dieing by any means, just think it has slowed up.......... Like 5 years ago when I was working for a local shop every Friday there would be a line out the door and we would be out of stock of the most common things by sat... (re order re stock and start again for the next weekend) Then one day they just stopped... It was amazing.... But then there were a few local people that did a boot leg store, they zoned like a 10 foot square of there home as commercial use and set up wholesale accounts and started selling goods out of the back of there van. With out the over head of the "brick and mortar store" they were able to sell just over wholesale... I think that hurt the local shops around here.
Markers Currently Own: 160
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Even WGP has more markers in production now than it did 4 years ago.
I don't beleive WGP is producing markers anymore.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic