FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KSP: Failure is always an option

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Oh crap, I know what Im doing tonight

QFT!

Yup. Let's do this.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 1:00am

Achieved 22621.3 M/S with 4 large boosters, 4 ICBM motors connected to 12 fuel tanks, all cross braced.
Then once I jettisoned the booster stages, the final single tank with single ICBM motor got me to the final point. Might as well hold the memorial service now, 'cause those Kerbalnauts ain't comin' back.

P.S. I don't know why I bothered to install a parachute, and that speed equals 50,602.4069 miles per hour, which is two and a half times as fast as the top speed in the most severe of elliptical orbits.

Edited by tallen702 - 22 August 2011 at 1:06am
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 3:08pm
I always install a parachute system, because sometimes my guys need a rescue before I hit orbit (or deep space).

Strange I don't like them to crash, but starving/freezing/suffocating is not a problem for me.......

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 6:48pm
VICTORY!

Orbiting over the north pole of Kearth.

Coming in for landing, jettisoning the orbital stage. You might notice my heading is reversed...Because I overshot again and basically flew the stack back towards the launch facility. Deal with it.

Totally going to make it...

CLOSE ENOUGH!
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 8:15pm
That's crazy Enos, congrats. Still don't know how you have a clue where it is
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 12:09am

What's with the bright spot on the dark side?
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 1:30am
Megatron.

Or MAD-1?

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 24 August 2011 at 1:31am
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 1:55am
Seriously, HOW do you find the place again? I land in Never-heard-from-again-istan.

KBK
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 2:02am
In flight, on the attitude ball you have 4 symbols.

The green O with 3 lines coming out is your directional indicator, which direction your craft is headed inertially.
The green O with 3 lines and an X in the middle is the opposite direction inertially.

The purple O with a dot is the heading to the space center.
The purple Y is the opposite of the heading to the space center.

The easiest way I've found to get into orbit is head straight up until about 22,000 meters, then kick off the SAS and start angling over. Point your rocket at the horizon and just keep going, you'll still be heading up as you're converting over to angular velocity. The goal is hit a proper altitude and speed for orbit right as your vertical speed (the guage next to altitude) is 0.

Here's a table of orbital speeds: http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorial:Orbiting_%28Basic%29#Orbital_Table

Edited by Enos Shenk - 24 August 2011 at 2:31am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 2:21am
Found a funny flaw today. Four boosters plus my main engines, fuel, and secondary (orbital maneuvering) engines and fuel took off, but was struggling to gain altitude. So I dumped one set of fuel tanks for the main engines. Now with reduced weight, it wouldn't even get off the ground. The boosters still fired (I don't usually fire mains until after the boosters detach) but the rocket wouldn't budge despite weighing less. Weird.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 2:55am

Okay, that's about as close as it gets after a 2-orbit flight.

Yes they survived. I just jettisoned the orbital stage veeeeeeery late.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

The purple O with a dot is the heading to the space center.The purple Y is the opposite of the heading to the space center.

Yeah I thought as much, but even when I try to follow it I end up on Endor or something.

Tallen, I had a rocket that wouldn't move, so I jettisoned that whole state, and once I had it lifted the other stages it wouldn't lift before I dropped it.

So ummmmm.

KBK
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 10:22am
I've had the same thing happen for me Kayback, I think the "lift" programming doesn't account for any weight that isn't "attached" to it once it's jettisoned.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 5:07pm
A couple more Youtube videos of flights. I put together a random rocket figuring it would be hilariously bad...And actually once I worked the bugs out it out-performs my Shenko Heavy Orbiter Mk4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8E2a4t7qso - Debugging the thing. Some spectacular failures there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFFoJygGlI - A very good launch & orbit. After one orbit I brought it down onto the space center property. Hooray!
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 5:46pm
Damn Enos, beautiful flight!
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

A couple more Youtube videos of flights. I put together a random rocket figuring it would be hilariously bad...And actually once I worked the bugs out it out-performs my Shenko Heavy Orbiter Mk4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8E2a4t7qso - Debugging the thing. Some spectacular failures there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFFoJygGlI - A very good launch & orbit. After one orbit I brought it down onto the space center property. Hooray!

I lol'd hard at the first video, especially when it started getting all wobbly. LOL
vash357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vash357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 12:56pm
I set this up at work on a computer than can barely play the game, lol. I ended up working last Monday and didn't have much going on so I built a rocket and got into stable orbit at 750k. Didn't think to take any screen shots of orbiting or launch though, wish I did. I ended up leaving it running for 4 days, and brought back to kearth before I went home on Friday.

Chute opening:

Landed

Flight results 1

Flight results 2

Fun times Big smile
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 1:43pm
Enos has been showed whats up.
vash357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vash357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 3:24pm
Top speed run on my home PC, 94336 MPH, lol

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 4:38pm
I found a motor that has a thrust rating of 1 and a burn rate of .0001.  Lets see how fast this'll push her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic