FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KSP: Failure is always an option

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 3:34pm
I intend to do a deep space run tonight. I'll lift off just before i go sleep and see where I am when the baby wakes me.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 20 July 2011 at 3:37pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

How did nobody notify me of this amazing piece of indy gaming earlier?

Gentlemen, let the space race begin.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

This is the most fun I've had since Minecraft. Basically you build a rocket in a Spore-ish editor, stick it on the pad, and see what happens. Usually what happens is very very bad.

Oh and don't forget to snag the extra parts pack. Stick the contents in the /parts subdirectory.
http://www.multiupload.com/V2CFJ1U4C8

Is there another way to get the parts without having to download a download manager?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:02pm
I have almost nothing to do today, and I'm on a personal mission to achieve escape velocity fairly simplistically.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:12pm
The bugs are really annoying the hell out of me... Lots of random structural failures that make no sense at all.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I have almost nothing to do today, and I'm on a personal mission to achieve escape velocity fairly simplistically.

2 large fuel tanks, 6 large solid boosters, 1 small tank and nuclear engine will get you to escape velocity.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:32pm
I used 3 large tanks, 4 solids, 1 small tank, and a nuke.  I think I had 5 SAS as well.  I forgot to attach a parachute, but it doesnt look like I'll need it. 
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:48pm
im at 2200k alt wit a speed of 1800m/s. i may have to try this again tomorrow and let it run.
mamasboi View Drop Down
Strike 1, FIlter dodge, 7/23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

How did nobody notify me of this amazing piece of indy gaming earlier?

Gentlemen, let the space race begin.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

This is the most fun I've had since Minecraft. Basically you build a rocket in a Spore-ish editor, stick it on the pad, and see what happens. Usually what happens is very very bad.

Oh and don't forget to snag the extra parts pack. Stick the contents in the /parts subdirectory.
http://www.multiupload.com/V2CFJ1U4C8

Is there another way to get the parts without having to download a download manager?

i used the rapidshare and free download
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 9:49pm
Let's play a game called "who can get the most G's"

I'm at 20.1

Edit: 64.2 with 28 large solid rocket boosters under a capsule.

Edited by GroupB - 20 July 2011 at 10:10pm
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

Let's play a game called "who can get the most G's"

I'm at 20.1

Edit: 23.9 with 28 large solid rocket boosters under a capsule.

Did it disintegrate?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 10:12pm
A couple rockets on the outside of the bundle did, but they flew off and exploded harmlessly, leaving the remaining one to power the rocket until running out of fuel.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 12:13am
I used the huge rocket and 6 boosters around it and hit some insane number of G's but their feet pretty much escaped through their mouths with the acceleration before they disintegrated.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 2:16am

After 2 complete orbits I go for another landing at the space center. I accidently popped chute too early, the thing was actually drifting over towards the landing zone when my last stage ran out of gas. If I had held off on the chute it would have been much closer...

So close. I will bring my boys home close enough to walk to their cars, dammit!
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 2:18am
My succesful deep space launch had 450G in it. No idea where I thought it was a nice smooth launch.

KBK
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 4:38am
This is my most stable platform to date.

The command capsule is a crew compartment with a parachute and a small liquid tank and a small liquid engine.
That's sitting on top of a SASS unit, medium liquid fuel tank and a "nooooooooocewlar" engine. This all sits on top of a quad-coupler. Attached to the coupler is a retro rocket and four lateral coupler. The center rocket is 4 x 3 medium liquid fuel tanks and 4 liquid fuel engines each with it's own SASS unit. Attached to the extensions are aerodynamic cones, SASS units and 4 solid fuel boosters.

It requires the liquid main engines to be running to get off the pad.

The first stage solid rocket boosters burn out just shy of 5000m, at around 125m/s. The liquid engines slow down to 119m/s until 6000m when they start accelerating again.

Getting into orbit takes a little practice I'll admit, you have to time your roll over perfectly. Of course in the series of pics I took I didn't.

If you do a straight line burn you can get Main stage burnout at 60km with 1000m/s, insertion stage burn out at 2100m/s at 480km and command capsule burnout at 700km and 4000m/s. But that stage is really meant to be used for landing, not boosting.

Edited by Kayback - 21 July 2011 at 4:42am
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 6:33am
LOL love this game! Have just made a self stabalizing rocket with the intention of getting a large liquid tank into space.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

LOL love this game! Have just made a self stabalizing rocket with the intention of getting a large liquid tank into space.

If you have a linear rocket, the best stabilization is to put an RCS module on it and spin it with q or e.  It will go perfectly strait.

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 10:32am
Yeah my Shenko Orbiter is a bit tricky getting into the proper orbit as well. It's easy to just go "up", and it's easy to mis-time the roll to start building up orbital velocity.

That last run I did I had the thing almost perfect according to an orbital table. It would wobble up/down about 3k on opposite sides of the planet, but I probably could have left it running for hours.

I don't know why I'm so intent on landing the thing back at the space center, it just seems like it would be really neat. Even if I managed it I can see myself turning to "Okay, this time I'm going to de-orbit and land on the vehicle building"
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 10:36am
Yeah, but this isn't a linear rocket.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 10:43am
I launched last night, went to sleep, and woke up to this: Been steady at 3402.4m/s

Can't even see their planet anymore.

I reaching Alpha Centari, damnit!

Edited by Linus - 21 July 2011 at 10:44am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic