FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KSP: Failure is always an option

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:51pm

Just not quite enough juice for a stable orbit. Alas.

I also seem to have created a ship that ignites on it's own initiative on the pad. Bad things happen.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:07pm
I have major stability issues
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 10:11pm
At this point it seems more like trying to work around the bugs (things breaking apart unnecessarily) than trying to make a good rocket.  The particular bug that keeps getting me makes my 1st stage engine pop off on the pad when I stack too many things.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 10:29pm
HOLY CRAP

It didn't take me too long to figure something out. Trying to get a stable orbit will be much more difficult.

I'm at 1400 km now

T+ 30: 3118 km

Edited by Tolgak - 19 July 2011 at 10:45pm
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 11:08pm
Is there a way to couple a quad stage to a single stage below it?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 11:10pm

Oh dear lord. Epic win photoshop from someone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 1:14am
 Alright Kerbnauts, it's time to go for one complete orbit followed by touchdown AT the Kerbal Space Center.

Liftoff of the Shenko Heavy Orbiter

Solid booster jettison

Jettisoning the liquid stage. We're angled over for orbital insertion.

The orbital stage has 2 fuel tanks and a nuclear engine. Yes, a nuclear engine. It's some add-on part that has lower thrust but uses less fuel. Great for orbital. Here's the orbiter watching the sun go down around the Kearth horizon.

T +47:00 after one orbit, Kerbal Space Center becomes visible.

De-orbit burn. Oh crap, we're not slowing down enough...

Orbiter runs out of fuel. Yep, we're gonna overshoot...

At least we're going to set her down on the same continent.

The Kerbal Controlled Crash Landing demonstrates why you should always stick an SAS module on the bottom of the capsule.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:36am
How do you know where you started from/ line up your orbit with it?
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 3:26am
Enos, you've saved my week. I'm down visiting my parents in the middle of nowhere with crap Hughes net and nothing to do. This should keep me entertained for a while.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 4:22am
Oh God. Oh God, these poor, green souls. What have I done?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 4:44am
7700K, 1500m/s, still got fuel in tank. (but maybe not enough for a deorbit burn).

Hmmmmm Dreep Space here I come.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 6:33am
I put together a little gag reel of some of my less-than-successful launches. I'm particularly fond of the last one, it features EVERYTHING this game is about. Rickety rocket, complete catastrophe, the glowing hope of an Apollo 13 style miracle, then utterly dashed hopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYkr0tev1A
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 7:44am
At T+ 4:00:00 we are at 20 000k. Still doing 1150m/s. I don't think they will be coming back.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 7:57am
I tested out the new Shenko Heavy Orbiter Mk2, it works great. The nuclear engine stage is used for tweaking in the desired orbit, then the command module can be seperated. It has a little tank and engine suitable for fine tuning your orbit and de-orbiting.

I figured I'd upload the ship file. Requires the parts pack in the main post (Which I updated with a link to the latest version)

http://shenkoheavyindustries.com/SHOMk2.craft
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 10:15am
This is ground control to Major Tom...
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

I have major stability issues
Sure, but how're you doing in the game?
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 1:03pm

I made this.

Still going....

IM A ROCKET MAN
ROCKET MAAAAAN BURNIN UP HIS FUSE UP HERE ALONE
AND I THINK ITS GUNNA BE A LONG LONG TIME
TILL TOUCH DOWN BRINGS ME ROUND AGAIN TO FIND
(oooooooooo)

On my way back....

I would call this mission a success, I tried my hardest to make it back to the launch pad... but I couldn't so I think I did decent.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 20 July 2011 at 2:01pm
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 1:28pm
Successful circular LEO!  43km with e=0.148.  I still have 1.5 small fuel tanks left to use as well.

To help you guys out orbiting, the radius of the planet is 600000m and the gravity is the same as earth, 9.8.  Use this formula to figure out the speed you need to be at: 

v = 600000*sqrt(9.81/ (600000+a))  where a is your altitude.

Also, escape velocity for the planet should be about 3430.5 m/s.  If you're over that, you're not coming back down.

Edited by ArthurBignose - 20 July 2011 at 2:38pm

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:24pm
This game could be made more awesome if they added a few moons, and added an accelerated time.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

This game could be made more awesome if they added a few moons, and added an accelerated time.
Agreed. I am rather enjoying attempting to set new distance records for myself, but I'd appreciate some more potential scenery.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic