Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst disaster in U.S. History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst disaster in U.S. History
    Posted: 06 July 2011 at 7:52pm
Due to a murder trial that captivated America, and someones body part that had the same name of the person, filling the news. An event that could/can change America as we know, has slipped by the media. O

We have heard of the North Dakota floods, even the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant; that many say is Fukishima is slow motion.

But the main focus needs to be at the head of this disaster, which is the Fort Peck Dam. It was reported only a few weeks ago, the capacity of Fort Peck was at 112%.Scary to think that a dam that had a failure during construction in 1938, sat at 112% capacity.
Currently it sits at 101% http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/showrep.cgi?3MRDTAP7

Now while 101% sounds better than 112%, and the rain has held off. The biggest concern is the snow run off. "With well below average temperatures so far in 2011 and with well above average snowpack, Montana is facing a huge run-off season. Heavy spring rain has already put much of the state in flood conditions so what does this mean when the weather heats up and the snow starts melting? Much of Montana still has 200%-300% of average snow levels"

http://www.deaddriftoutdoors.com/blog/montana-snow-pack-and-flooding-update

So by the sounds of it, they won't be able to expel water fast enough, using the dams release abilities. So next step is, to divert the water. The link I am about to provide, was not found on any news site, but from digging through search engine pages.

http://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=17d7a934883f615ee25e7742e869bddf&tab=core&_cview=0

The bid was posted June 11, and the contract was awarded June 14.  Wow only 3 days needed until they found the lowest bidder? It must be urgent. The contract was to stockpile rock, at the Fort Peck Dam. Why would rock be needed at the dam? Seeing as there are no reports on the current situation at the dam, my only guess, is diversion. They know they can not expel water fast enough, so they will divert it. Sounds like a great plan, but.....

http://ncrenegade.com/editorial/an-interesting-turn-of-events-for-fort-calhoun-nuclear-plant-and-cooper-nuclear-station/

Basically what the article is saying Fort Calhoun and Cooper Nuclear stations, are on the back burner right now. If they don't "control" the flooding, the dams will break. After they release water, they will then focus their attention to the slow motion Fukushimas.

Thankfully FEMA has been doing training exercises in May. Not exactly for floods, but the New Madrid earthquake that is soon upon us. http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle2011_fs.shtm

But thankfully they have supplies ready for any occasion. 140 million meals, blankets, and underwater body bags.

Edited by impulse418 - 06 July 2011 at 11:59pm
Donald Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 10:34pm
Reputable sources are awesome.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 11:44am
I'd say the introduction of slavery was the worst disaster in U.S. history.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:39pm
Nah. Sure, it's a disaster by today's standards, but back then, not only was it socially acceptable, it was almost economically necessary. Besides, as Honest Abe put it, it would die of its own causes anyway. It couldn't have lasted as society advanced.

Natural disaster? The Great Storm (that hurricane that wiped out Galveston in 1900) was pretty horrid.

Man-against-man? Imma go with 9/11 here.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:46pm
9/11? More people died on the beaches of Normandy than 9/11.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:46pm
I didn't check Imp's sources but what he described is pretty much what we're facing.  We're holding our breaths waiting for the melting to start and I pity the poor suckers downstream from us along the Missouri river.  We didn't flood during 94-95 when sections of downtown Kansas City and St. Louis ended up under water.  This year we've had road closings along the river and saturation* flooding along with some serious flooding along the Missouri's feeder streams.  It's probably going to be bad.

*Flooding from rain that just has no place to go because the ground/sewers/streams can't hold any more water.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:47pm
Normandy was also part of a war. <poopie> happens during a war. Sure, there are many qualifiers to 9/11, such as perspective, but as an American citizen (and this is American disasters, is it not?), then 9/11 was an unprovoked, malicious attack on our home front. Normandy was soldier on soldier, and fought for a reason, on both sides. 9/11 was an act of terrorism.

Edited by DeTrevni - 07 July 2011 at 12:50pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Normandy was also part of a war. <poopie> happens during a war. Sure, there are many qualifiers to 9/11, such as perspective, but as an American citizen (and this is American disasters, is it not?), then 9/11 was an unprovoked, malicious attack on our home front. Normandy was soldier on soldier, and fought for a reason, on both sides. 9/11 was an act of terrorism.

Ahh I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I didn't check Imp's sources but what he described is pretty much what we're facing.  We're holding our breaths waiting for the melting to start and I pity the poor suckers downstream from us along the Missouri river.  We didn't flood during 94-95 when sections of downtown Kansas City and St. Louis ended up under water.  This year we've had road closings along the river and saturation* flooding along with some serious flooding along the Missouri's feeder streams.  It's probably going to be bad.

*Flooding from rain that just has no place to go because the ground/sewers/streams can't hold any more water.

Where do you live Mack?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:59pm
Unprovoked, what?

Deserved? No. But I can say with certainty 9/11 was retaliatory for decades of foreign policy. They did not wake up one day and say DOWN WITH AMERICA. We* gave them a reason to hate us.

*Multiple presidential administrations on both sides of the aisle
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:05pm
Trying to claim disasters as "worst" is a bit fruitless without categories. 

There are cultural disasters - I'd argue this would be something like the allowing of slavery in the constitution process. 

There are natural disasters - Floods, etc. 

There are engineering disasters - the levees in New Orleans post-Katrina, the bridge in Minnesota. 

There are myriad different kinds of disasters, all different, and with different measures of damage and scales of impact. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:05pm
October 14th 2008.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:10pm

Nah. Sure, it's a disaster by today's standards, but back then, not only was it socially acceptable, it was almost economically necessary. Besides, as Honest Abe put it, it would die of its own causes anyway. It couldn't have lasted as society advanced.

Natural disaster? The Great Storm (that hurricane that wiped out Galveston in 1900) was pretty horrid.

Man-against-man? Imma go with 9/11 here.

It was socially acceptable in some cultures, not others. It was only economically necessary to create an elite class of southerners and northern textile businessmen. By far it was our worst social disaster. Even in it's demise, it led to a series of events that have still put minorities at the end of the line or in a sub-par environment in urban areas. Slavery may be over, but it's effect was heard throughout the 20th century.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:18pm
HV: Fair enough. "Unprovoked" was a poor word to use.

Dune: Counterpoint accepted. I feel I don't know enough about these subjects to argue for or against, so I'll just watch. :)

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:20pm

HV: Fair enough. "Unprovoked" was a poor word to use.

Dune: Counterpoint accepted. I feel I don't know enough about these subjects to argue for or against, so I'll just watch. :)
You make solid points as well. I've seen a very solid argument made for the support of slavery based on economics many times. The AP U.S. history class where I teach actually have a large debate every year about this subject.
Donald Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

October 14th 2008.

Beginning of the alien invasion?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Donald Blake Donald Blake wrote:

October 14th 2008.

Wink

Dig a little deeper DB.

*forum related*

Wink
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by Donald Blake Donald Blake wrote:

October 14th 2008.

Wink

Dig a little deeper DB.

*forum related*

Wink

Ha. 

I'm assuming the two things are related. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 3:19pm
Roe v wade is by far the worst disaster in America to date.

50,000,000 + citizens got "eliminated" for the sake of convenience.

So much for their "life, liberty and persuit of happiness"...
They tremble at my name...
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011. FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011. wrote:

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

That's about how credible you are FE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic