Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CCW Ohio, man attacked in Dayton Shoots criminals.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I never understood why people carry without one in the pipe.

And why you post on a forum. Shut up and lawyer up.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 12:04pm
I never understood why people carry without one in the pipe.

And why you post on a forum. Shut up and lawyer up.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 12:09pm
I get the distinct sense that the forum's server hiccup is leading to some lost posts getting re-posted right about now. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 12:18pm
No, they were intentional.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 12:31pm
In that case, please don't spam. Unhappy

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 3:05pm
Side note- Do you really want someone from Dayton to be your shining example of CCW?
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 3:10pm

http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

This is a must read for anyone thinking about concealed carry.
A firearm wont do you any good without one in the pipe, and it wont help you out if its sitting in your glove box while your getting jacked inside the local Stop N' Rob.
Some people might think I'm over cautious for carrying everywhere I go, but I think of it as an airbag for my car. I don't have the intention of using it, but I definitely want it with me if its needed.

"It wont happen to me" is not a good defense to have. I think my career has caused me to lose all faith in my fellow man.

PS If that link takes you to Tippy homepage just copy and paste
http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html into your server

Edited by deadeye007 - 30 June 2011 at 3:12pm
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

In that case, please don't spam. Unhappy

I think he was copying me. People get so jelly sometimes.  Ermm
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 6:04pm
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 7:25pm
Haha that cat has the perfect I-hate-this-guy face in that picture. 
Donald Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

This guy is certainly a good writer, but I fundamentally reject his dichotomous wordview of sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs.  (Does that make it trichotomous?)

This Clancy-esque thinking is basically self-justification for a life spent on an inherently non-productive activity.  The self-appointed "sheepdogs" are certainly not the only people to develop later-in-life philosophies to justify their life choices, but that does not make it any more accurate as a description of reality.

Real life, as it turns out, is not black and white - instead there are shades of distinction along any number of axes.  These conveniently clean categories created so casually simply do not conform to ... um ... creation viewed through the contact lenses of clarity.

(And besides, this philosophy was presented with far greater eloquence by Gary, member of Team America)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Donald Blake Donald Blake wrote:

The self-appointed "sheepdogs" are certainly not the only people to develop later-in-life philosophies to justify their life choices, but that does not make it any more accurate as a description of reality.

Real life, as it turns out, is not black and white - instead there are shades of distinction along any number of axes.  These conveniently clean categories created so casually simply do not conform to ... um ... creation viewed through the contact lenses of clarity.

I wonder, if in an experiment situation, people were asked to identify which of the three binary (Or, since there are three, would that be trinary?) options they feel best identifies themselves, how many people would actually claim to be sheepdogs? 

I'd imagine most people, if given the options, will consider themselves to be brave protectors. I'd also imagine that the vast, vast majority of people, if given some kind of personality or situational test, end up being "sheep." 

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 9:59pm
"This business of being a sheep or a sheep dog is not a yes-no dichotomy. It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a continuum. On one end is an abject, head-in-the-sand-sheep and on the other end is the ultimate warrior. Few people exist completely on one end or the other. Most of us live somewhere in between."

That was a quote from the text if that helps.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

"This business of being a sheep or a sheep dog is not a yes-no dichotomy. It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a continuum. On one end is an abject, head-in-the-sand-sheep and on the other end is the ultimate warrior. Few people exist completely on one end or the other. Most of us live somewhere in between."

That was a quote from the text if that helps.

Indeed.  The very last paragraph of a lengthy piece - a lengthy piece which says the exact opposite of that last paragraph.

The author doesn't get to dodge the dichotomy charge with that little disclaimer of convenience.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:18pm
Does this sound like "a matter of degrees, a continuum:"

" if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door"

How about this: "Do you have and idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?"  That statement is on a continuum, I guess - at the very far end of the continuum.

And if this doesn't smell self-congratulatory, I don't know what does:  "[the sheepdog] is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population."  And if my math serves me right, "98%" against places us at a pretty far end of the continuum.

So, yeah - this is on a continuum.  Just like "Z" is on the alphabet continuum.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:21pm
ITT: The word Dichotomy is frequently used. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:23am
I've never really understood the "sheepdog" argument. I mean I understand it as it is intended, but not how it is actually applied.

I agree that most people are sheep. They honestly are. They are also disturbed by the out of their frame of reference events. I get that the predatory element can be called wolves, even though that is defamatory to wolves.

However sheepdogs? Uh, no. If I was told to chose one of the three, I'd have to say I'm the fourth option. I'd have to say I'm more of a ram than a sheepdog. Sheepdogs have to protect the whole flock from the attrition of the wolves. I honestly could not care about the rest of the flock. I am here to protect my, to continue the simile, ewe and two lambs. The rest of the flock can go fornicate with itself for all I care.

I'd say my "ewe" is more of a "rem-ette" anyway. I'm still a sheep, just slightly better equipped to defend myself and my family than others, buy I'm still a sheep. Sheepdogs have a "tell the flock what to do" connotations.

As far as simile goes it isn't wrong, but it isn't very accurate either. That's true with most comparisons though.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:45am
You can't even define a Peace Officer as a sheep dog. Because they are not obligated to protect anyone.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:52am
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Gubbermint shepherd who is meant to look after the flock, but all it does is fleece the sheep until they aren't productive any more then used a deathboard to choose whom to kill and eat.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 3:07am
My real point here is that just about everyone can come up with a classification of the peoples of the world, and somehow everyone's classification favors the classifier.  People need to feel good about themselves - I get that.  But that does not create objective truth.

This is true even within the sheep and wolves paradigm.  In fact, this paradigm is something of a staple at corporate leadership workshops.  This has led to a generation of MBAs who think of themselves as "warriors," wielding verbal weapons in the boardroom just like they would throw a grenade in a gnatzee bunker.

The "real" warriors (the ones with guns) disdain these boardroom warriors as silly sheep, yet the MBAs are simultaneously disdainful of the shooters, whom they view as neanderthal servants.

I, of course, know that both groups are wrong:  I am the sheepdog in my own paradigm, and both shooters and MBAs are tools and fools.

It's the same for just about every profession and vocation.  Cops and criminals think they live in the world while everyone else lives in a fantasy.  Politicians think understand the true nature of power, as do the very wealthy.  Religious groups are always convinced that they have the one true path, and the individuals in those groups are always convinced that they will make the cut for salvation.

Self-serving BS, that's all it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic