Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

e-grip won't fire on first pull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rawbutter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e-grip won't fire on first pull
    Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:34pm
Hi all, 

This is my first time posting here, but I'm a paintball veteran. In fact, that's the reason why I'm posting here. A friend of mine bought a temperamental e-grip, but he's been having trouble fixing it and asked me to look at it, and even I can't figure it out. 

Here's the deal. He has an A5 with an older e-grip. I think it's this one: http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1457/ . It has five firing modes that you can flip through by pushing a button on the front of the grip. I'm not sure if you can actually change anything like dwell or power or anything like that. He doesn't have the manual anymore. 

Anyway, the e-grip works, but its very temperamental. After you turn it on and pick your mode, the very first pull almost NEVER fires. The second pull usually does, and once you get a few shots off, it works fine. However, if you let it sit for ten or fifteen seconds, then the first shot won't fire again. It's not really a huge deal, but he doesn't want to play with it because he's scared that if he tries to long-ball someone with one shot, the gun won't even fire. 

What's even more frustrating is the fact that paintballs seem to change the behavior of the trigger. When the gun is firing blanks, the e-grip works flawlessly. Add some paintballs, though, and it starts missing that first shot, just like I described. 

Weird, huh? Any idea why this is happening? 

Now, I DO have a brand new battery in there. (I've tried a few different new batteries, in fact.) I have a FULL tank of CO2. I'm doing all this tech work in my climate controlled basement, so I see no reason whatsoever why e-grip shouldn't work. Maybe I just have a bad capacitor or something? I don't know. That's why I'm posting. Hopefully someone here has had a similar situation and can help me out. 

Edited by rawbutter - 10 June 2011 at 2:37pm
znbeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znbeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:31am
I'm experiencing similar issues with the same model. I found that on mine, the little metal piece that hits the bottom of the trigger and in turn hits the sensor that tells the thing to fire was barely touching. So only sometimes it would actually sense my trigger pull. After a while the thing stopped working all together. I just had to bend the metal piece a little more.

I'm not sure what to make out of the paint changing how the thing fires though. These old model e-grips seem very tempermental, I have yet to actually get mine to work flawlessly. Sorry I can't be more help.
A strong man defends himself, a stronger man defends others.

Team Deathknights for life.
rawbutter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 5:08pm
So, I fixed the problem and figured I would post here in case anyone else every finds this thread. 

The problem was that the e-grip mounting holes weren't drilled properly. It was VERY difficult getting the field strip bolts in and out (sometimes I had to resort to using pliers to get them out and using a hammer to get them in). After much fussing around, I figured out that these tight holes were, in turn, basically causing the e-grip to sit too high, so when the bolt caught the sear, it was catching too much metal. When the trigger fired, the solenoid didn't have enough force with one hit to disengage the sear. The second hit usually did the trick, though. 

To fix this, I just needed to lower the grip, so I took my drill, attached a bit, and very slowly cut away at the top part of the mounting holes. 

Here's a pic to show what I mean. (Sorry for the size and quality, but it shows you what holes I'm talking about.) 

It took a while messing around with it. I was afraid that if I drilled out the hole too big, the sear would never catch or I might break the plastic that the grip is made out of. (Seriously... a plastic grip? Is this really safe?) And I didn't have to expand the hole much... maybe a 1/32 of an inch. Now, however, the field strip screw goes in and out very easily. There's a tiny gap in the back between the top of the grip and the bottom of the main assembly of the A5, and the e-grip fires on every single shot no matter what. 

Mission accomplished. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic