FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flames of War Vietnam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flames of War Vietnam
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 6:06am
I am into the Flames of War WW2 minitures game and Battlefront Minitures of New Zealand the manufacturer liked my comments and suggestions on the painting and make up of US forces that I am now a consultant on new products for the Vietnam line. Just read e-mail offering 'position'. I suggested a more realilistic look of faded OD and non-uniform uniforms to reflect the 'reality' of the situation instead of 'pretty' models. Also in the 'battle' books to understand that seldom were US units 'full' strength, so model and set up units accordingly, the M60MG as your 'core' base, with two 'fireteams' of 3-4 troops, seldom did we ever have the TO&E 5 man 'fireteam' setup.
Also to 'model' the individual infantry figures in the various 'looks' of the war, there were a lot of troop variations in dress, and equipment, the troops did not all loook alike.

Right now I am 'building' a light US Airborne Infantry Company to reflect Co B, 2/503Inf, 173rd ABN BDE. An HQ section, 3 Platoons Infantry, Mortar section, 5 UH-1 Slick troop birds and 2 UH-1 'gunbunny' gunships.

After that will build a NVA mainforce unit as well as VC Mainforce and militia units.

This hobby is fun and relaxing, as well as time consuming in the assembly and painting. The bases themselves are an artform in terraining. Scratch building the 'firebase' from balsa is also an artform. 1000 individual 'sandbags' made from modeling clay was a chore, made them while watching the hockey game.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic