FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complete Failure of Leadership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

FE, respond to my post please. I'd like to know why it's ok for republicans but not anyone else.

Why? All you bring is comedy central links...

Do you want to enter the adult conversation? Then ask a question based on what is going on instead of what John tells you is going on.

Did you even watch the speech by Obama?

The problem I have is that Presidents are suppost to be different than typical politicians. Look at the way Bush hasn't ever said ONE WORD of criticism towards Obama, And then look at how Obama blames Bush for everything.

See the difference?

Oh wait, John didn't do a newscast on that yet, so you probably have no idea what I am talking about, huh?...

Come on, dude, if it is on COMEDY CENTRAL, it probably isn't a good source for "unbiased" news coverage...
They tremble at my name...
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

FE, respond to my post please. I'd like to know why it's ok for republicans but not anyone else.

You're right, but I don't want to admit it so I am going to complain about the source rather than the content.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

So if the rich are winning they are doing so because the government is corrupt and they pass laws and regulations that unfairly benefit companies like GE  

And pretty much every other big business that doesn't pay their own fair share. Yep. 

If it's Democrats doing it, I don't like it. If it's Republicans, I don't like it either. 

Getting some incentive to produce green technology, to a point, is fine. But them paying next to nothing is unacceptable, no matter who they support, Democrat or Republican. Especially when they continue to move jobs elsewhere and stagnate worker pay. 

The top earners are able to game the system, though, on both sides of the party spectrum. That chart of businesses who don't pay their taxes showcases that. And I bet that most of those companies heavily fund both Democrats and Republicans. 

Yet somehow the only one you bring up is GE. 

Like other issues and threads, I suspect the reasoning is "Because, Democrats." 

I bolded the obvious problem with your viewpoint.

Government should not be in the business of choosing winners and losers. And the progressives entire ideology is based on doing exactly that.

When the government "provides incentives" they are taking from one guy and giving it to another. Why is it OK for the government to give you a break to buy a washing machine, but not give me a break because I bought mine a week before they issued the "incentive".

By choosing winners and losers they are by definition making the playing field unfair. Something you pretend to be against, except you advocate for it all the time.

jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:15pm

So if the rich are winning they are doing so because the government is corrupt and they pass laws and regulations that unfairly benefit companies like GE  

And pretty much every other big business that doesn't pay their own fair share. Yep. 

If it's Democrats doing it, I don't like it. If it's Republicans, I don't like it either. 

<FONT size=7>Getting some incentive to produce green technology, to a point, is fine. But them paying next to nothing is unacceptable, no matter who they support, Democrat or Republican. Especially when they continue to move jobs elsewhere and stagnate worker pay. 

The top earners are able to game the system, though, on both sides of the party spectrum. That chart of businesses who don't pay their taxes showcases that. And I bet that most of those companies heavily fund both Democrats and Republicans. 

Yet somehow the only one you bring up is GE. 

Like other issues and threads, I suspect the reasoning is "Because, Democrats." 

Government should not be in the business of choosing winners and losers. And the progressives entire ideology is based on doing exactly that.

When the government "provides incentives" they are taking from one guy and giving it to another. Why is it OK for the government to give you a break to buy a washing machine, but not give me a break because I bought mine a week before they issued the "incentive".

By choosing winners and losers they are by definition making the playing field unfair. Something you pretend to be against, except you advocate for it all the time.

What?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:20pm

Government should not be in the business of choosing winners and losers.

Then why exactly during the Wisconsin teachers situation were you so supportive of WalMart getting hefty tax cuts? 

Like, remember when you said this: 

Because unlike the public unions, a new wal-mart brings in TAX REVENUE to the state. And that is the goal of government to increase their tax base by helping to bring in business. 

How exactly is this not the government selecting winners and losers? 

What I support with incentives - as I stated - was that everyone should have an option. GE should not get exclusive rights to assisted innovation. 

But if you don't support government selecting a winner, why exactly did you say that it was the goal of government to do such a thing through selective tax breaks only months ago?  

Edited by agentwhale007 - 19 April 2011 at 2:24pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:22pm
Because, Republicans.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:30pm
It totally is them selecting winners and losers, and if the system were the way it was set up in the beginning of our country that kind of thing wouldn't happen.

Unions are tax exempt.

Wal-mart is not.

Why are unions tax exempt? Oh yeah, because the Democrats want them to be winners, so they get an unfair advantage.

Should wal-mart get an unfair advantage over the small business who could never get that kind of tax break?... Not in a perfect world. But, sadly we live with a government full of corruption where they choose winners and losers daily.

Small businesses are too small to get the influence to get the deals. Does that mean I wish they didn't get the deals that other companies who are larger get?... Of course not, I wish we could get them too. But that doesn't mean I think they are the right thing for the government to do.

Like I said, government should not be choosing winners and losers, and yet, today it seems like that is all that they do now.

Freddie and fannie, chose to reward the poor with loans they knew they could never repay. (democrat idea) Al Gore got the government to give billions in incentives to help the green movement "win". (democrat idea)
Come January you won't be able to buy 100 watt bulbs in the US anymore (democrat idea) and the only light bulb manufacturers will be run out of business by the democrats.
Chrysler failed, but the democrats didn't want them to fail, so they bailed them out and GAVE the company to the union...

Now with Obamacare, the government will tell you what healthcare you can have, and how much they will pay. Again choosing winners and losers...

Worst part is, the media doesn't even look into issues like the ones brought up in this video concerning Obama and his laws and the way the unions are gaming the system.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 19 April 2011 at 2:41pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:41pm

Should wal-mart get an unfair advantage over the small business who could never get that kind of tax break?... Not in a perfect world. But, sadly we live with a government full of corruption where they choose winners and losers daily.

Ohh, so that's what you meant, when on Feb 23 you said: 

They need tax breaks to build a new center as it will lose money for those 5 years. The city/state still receives a huge benefit as typically walmarts stay in an area long term. So for government to help the company move into their area is good long term, as jobs (which are sorely needed) and new revenue comes to the area. Even if they give them tax breaks to try and help them with that 5 year loss thing, they still end up with a benefit as less people will be on unemployment, and new revenue enters the economy. The tax break is just a partnership with the business showing good faith for long term success of both parties involved.

So is the government "selecting a winner" a good thing or a bad thing? 

Quote Freddie and fannie, chose to reward the poor with loans they knew they could never repay. (democrat idea) Al Gore got the government to give billions in incentives to help the green movement "win". (democrat idea)

And let's see how those things compare to the Bush tax cuts when looking at the projected deficit: 

Quote Come January you won't be able to buy 100 watt bulbs in the US anymore (democrat idea) and the only light bulb manufacturers will be run out of business by the democrats.

It's an update of environmental regulation. Did oil companies get run out of business when unleaded gasoline was mandated? 

Most every bulb company has already begun putting out incandescent bulbs that meet the new requirements. Not to mention, the light bulb companies make the compact fluorescents people will be buying as replacements when their existing incandescents run out. 

I've got one of the updated incandescent bulbs in my bathroom.  

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:41pm
I'm truly grateful to be alive. I get to watch our economy, the house of cards, crumble in my life time.

You guys think Katrina was bad......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:46pm
I guess I'm just confused when you say both this:

Like I said, government should not be choosing winners and losers, and yet, today it seems like that is all that they do now.

And this:

The tax break is just a partnership with the business showing good faith for long term success of both parties involved.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I'm truly grateful to be alive. I get to watch our economy, the house of cards, crumble in my life time.

You guys think Katrina was bad......
Have you considered seeking professional help?

Edited by GroupB - 19 April 2011 at 2:46pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:51pm
I've got a few as well, and the bathroom isn't the best place, as you will end up peeing on the floor instead of the toilet as they take so long to turn on...

Again, by picking winners and losers they make the playing field uneven, and by definition ruin the system. But, that is what absolute power does, it corrupts absolutely.

Again, the government has NO business picking winners and losers.

We don't have a taxing problem in the country, we have a SPENDING problem. And a government too busy picking winners and losers to realize they are destroying what made our country great.

And since the democrats didn't even pass a budget when they were in control of the house, senate, and Presidency, they have zero credibility to bash on Ryans plan, since it is the ONLY plan that is being discussed. They didn't even do their job and pass a budget, and was the media calling for them to pass a budget...

Nope.

Back to the light bulbs, GE closed their last incandescent plant last fall, they now make their bulbs overseas. winners and losers indeed.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:54pm
I'd post a video by George Carlin that would totally win this thread, but it isn't close to forum appropriate, and FE wouldn't watch it anyway.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:09pm

I've got a few as well, and the bathroom isn't the best place, as you will end up peeing on the floor instead of the toilet as they take so long to turn on...

Wrong. 

Not compact fluorescent. Updated incandescent bulbs using halogen to meet the requirements. 

Again, I'll ask: Did oil companies go out of business when unleaded gasoline became a mandate? 

Quote  Again, the government has NO business picking winners and losers.

Then why did you support WalMart getting a $130 tax break in Wisconsin in February? 

You said they NEED the tax cut in order to survive in Wisconsin. You said so yourself: 

They need tax breaks to build a new center as it will lose money for those 5 years. 

So which is it? Did they need it? Or is the government picking a winner a bad thing? 

Quote We don't have a taxing problem in the country,

We've got a problem with both. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 19 April 2011 at 3:11pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:11pm

I guess I'm just confused when you say both this:

And this:

The tax break is just a partnership with the business showing good faith for long term success of both parties involved.

Why are you confused? Today the government clearly picks winners and losers. So as a business, you must learn to conform to the massive regulations, and restrictions, and taxes and do your best to still succeed.

Would you suggest that I don't donate to charity and collect the tax incentive? Or maybe not collect the tax break for the interest I pay on my home?

You work within the constraints of the system you are involved in, even when you don't agree.

You are making it sound like I should just stop paying taxes because my tax dollars fund abortion...

Clearly you can't do that...
So if the government will give you a tax break (make you a winner) then you take it, because that is the system in place. That is why I think giving wal-mart a break is a good thing, even when it conflicts with my views on the proper place for government.

A system that by its nature is flawed and unjust.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 19 April 2011 at 3:14pm
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:17pm
This must just be my relative morality talking, but when I don't agree with something, I don't participate in it.  
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:18pm

Why? All you bring is comedy central links...

Do you want to enter the adult conversation? Then ask a question based on what is going on instead of what John tells you is going on.

Or you can actually watch the video, may want to catch the segment just before that one as well, and very plainly see it IS going on. I realize your hyper partisan spin gets in the way of understanding facts and truth so try to curb the knee-jerk reaction and listen to what is presented. Care to point out where Jon deviated from reality?

Lol at the thought of you holding an adult conversation. You'd actually have to debate a topic for that to occur, not just change it every time you're proven wrong.

So seriously, I asked a real question, why is the republican party's behavior suddenly not acceptable when it comes from someone else?

Originally posted by FE FE wrote:

Did you even watch the speech by Obama?
Yes and I nearly fell asleep like Biden did.

The problem I have is that Presidents are suppost to be different than typical politicians.

I can agree with that, but if you're honestly suggesting Obama is the first to be like this then you're intentionally deluding yourself.

Look at the way Bush hasn't ever said ONE WORD of criticism towards Obama, And then look at how Obama blames Bush for everything.

See the difference?

Yeah, the difference is that's not what you were originally talking about at all. In the OP you started crying about Obama being mean to those poor republican congressmen. Now it's suddenly about blaming Bush.

I feel Bush isn't commenting on anyone's performance because it will bring increasing scrutiny on the job he did. Bush deserves blame for issue he had a hand in, nothing more. Maybe if you've got examples of Obama wrongfully blaming Bush we could delve into that topic later on.

Oh wait, John didn't do a newscast on that yet, so you probably have no idea what I am talking about, huh?...

This is why nobody likes you on this forum. Well, one of the reasons nobody likes you.

Come on, dude, if it is on COMEDY CENTRAL, it probably isn't a good source for "unbiased" news coverage...

I turn to real news outlets for my news, not Jon Stewart's fake news. I turn to Jon and his fake news show for a little comedic relief because total immersion in the 24-hour news cycle will make a person go insane. Just look at how it has affected Glenn Beck.

Does Jon present bias? Yes. Is that bias on par with 24 hour news channel bias? Not hardly. You should check out his sketches on media bias some time. You'll notice I said sketch, not report.

I do look forward to your on-topic, non-direction-changing response. Good luck.

Edited by High Voltage - 19 April 2011 at 3:22pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:19pm

So if the government will give you a tax break (make you a winner) then you take it, because that is the system in place.

So doing something that you see as fundamentally wrong is fine as long as you are in a position where it will benefit you?

Sounds a lot like something you rally against: 

instead of bashing the majority of Americans who don't have a "relative" morality problem. 

Whoo Hoo! Relative Morality... +1 public schools!

Public school can teach a religion called secular humanism, including relative morality,

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:24pm
And the moral of the story regarding FE is:

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:25pm

Why don't you work for what you get and instead of begrudging success, achieve some for yourself?

Edited by agentwhale007 - 19 April 2011 at 3:27pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic