FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complete Failure of Leadership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

So we think they are mature enough to drink, buy a firearm, and carry one off campus. But as soon as you put them on campus, they turn into retards?

No, but on a private campus, the institution which will probably be held liable for what happens should get to determine the rules that apply.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 7:40pm

So we think they are mature enough to drink, buy a firearm, and carry one off campus. But as soon as you put them on campus, they turn into retards?

Age does not make one mature. The ability to legally buy and carry a firearm does not make someone competent.

I don't know what your experience is with college education, but I've heard many students fantasize about saving the day during a shooting. They are the types of people who would actually make a point of having a firearm with them at all times, people I think would be incredibly dangerous to others were they to use their weapons during a shooting.

And if you're thinking of allowing people of certain demographics to have weapons on the basis of being more responsible, I don't buy that there's any group of people we could trust more with firearms. Veterans and ROTC students have, among their ranks, cadets and candidates who are fantasy warriors like those I described above. People with good grades aren't necessarily responsible. There's no group qualifier that would make certain students safer with firearms.

There's also the problem of multiple students responding with firearms to a shooter. Enough confusion can be created for them to engage each other, a worst case scenario being a campus-wide firefight.

I'm all for firearms being allowed on campus, provided that known sane, responsible, non-delusional, non-fantasizing, and highly trained people are those that get them. Considering there's no guarantee that will happen, I'd rather not see students armed.

A solution for the dorm issue would be a campus armory, where students who live in dorms can check in firearms. This isn't necessarily to limit the owners from getting at them, but to prevent non-owners from stealing them.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 9:05pm
The notion that people who go on shooting sprees with the intent of shooting others before turning the gun on themselves choose their location based on the lack of others having guns seems silly to me.  

Utah allows guns on campus and haven'tad any incidents.  Indiana doesn't and also hasn't had any incidents.  I didn't look up the statistics, but I would venture a guess that there are more states without campus carry that have had no problems than there are states with campus carry that have had no problems.  Hooray anecdotal evidence.  
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 3:05am
Hypothetical.

You are at the DMV, post office, public library etc. Somewhere, and sometime, that requires your presence, and no alternative.

Someone comes in, and assaults you. Whether it be with a weapon or physical force.

Because you were not able to carry a weapon for self defense. Could you in turn sue the city,state, or federal government. On the grounds that you were made to disarm, and they did not adequately provide you with security.

Because what it all boils down to. Is that people are told  to wait for the "professionals" to arrive, to protect you.
jerrylewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrylewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:53am
Yeah, Obama poisoned the well. Nobody on the right attacked him unjustly up until now.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Sayyid Qutb- wants to eliminate the earth of all Jews and Christians, obvious racist implication is obvious. All elephants are grey, not all grey things are elephants. That barb was directed at your complaints about society and what you consider to be the causes of these problems. 
Stalin- had thousands killed, promoted atheism, and partnered with Hitler...The non-agression pact was pretty short-lived, and considering the 30 million or so Soviet deaths, old news. Also I fail to see how advocating atheism is in itself a bad thing, but he went more than a bit further than merely advocating it, which is a bad thing. 
Hitler - Atttempted to wipe out all Jews. He was also a big fan of conspiracy theories, and very anti-intellectual. 
Idi Amin - Murdered thousands And probably ate a few.

Clearly I am not advocating killing/imprisoning people that disagree with me. Implications that I am like any of those people is clearly an attempt to make me out to be a radical murdering racist. You are advocating that the US is a nation founded on Christian theocracy, and that the state should advocate Christianity and teach about the evils of evolution theory, and the evils of all other groups. You also clearly seem to think that non-christians are not fit to be citizens. While not advocating murder, you do seem to favor a system similar to a Christian Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Well done, that is the typical progressive argument.

Conservative lays out clear concise argument and facts to discuss.Your "facts" are concise to a fault, meaning they exist in a vacuum. Most of the theocratic leanings of state constitutions have long been overruled by federal supremacy to protect the rights of minorities (like Catholics) thanks to the first amendment.  
Liberal progressive calls names, and invents strawman to draw attention away from stated argument. Ha.

Repeat.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:09am
My friend David Barton was on Jon Stewart on Wednesday night.

AND he got interviewed for the new york times.

That is pretty awesome, he is the guy that got me interested in opening my families history books and actually reading them so I could find out how much our history has been omitted and changed.
They tremble at my name...
Donald Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 1:17pm

Could you in turn sue the city,state, or federal government. On the grounds that you were made to disarm, and they did not adequately provide you with security.

No.
Donald Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 1:25pm

Do you believe people should be able to carry a firearm for self defense?

Do you believe people should be able to own evil looking black rifles?

Do you believe people should be able to carry on campus?

Do you believe people should be able to own fully auto firearms?

Do you believe people need to have a permit to buy or carry a firearm?

Do you believe there should be a national registration of firearms?

Depends.

Depends.

Depends.

Depends.

Depends.

Depends.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Donald Blake Donald Blake wrote:

Depends.

I don't understand why this isn't more of a stock answer for people.

It's the best response to give for most questions.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Donald Blake Donald Blake wrote:

Depends.

I don't understand why this isn't more of a stock answer for people.

It's the best response to give for most questions.

. . . And they help keep your pants dry.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:02pm

Do you believe people should be able to carry a firearm for self defense?
No.  Just me.

Do you believe people should be able to own evil looking black rifles?
No.  Just me.

Do you believe people should be able to carry on campus?
No.  Just me.

Do you believe people should be able to own fully auto firearms?
No.  Just me.

Do you believe people need to have a permit to buy or carry a firearm?
Yes, but not me.

Do you believe there should be a national registration of firearms?
Yes, except for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic