FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decesions.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decesions.....
    Posted: 07 April 2011 at 2:33pm
My Dealer/Sponsor called and based on my performance last weekend wants either to put me on a new 11 CRF250R for equal trade on my modified 08 450X, or for $1500 out of pocket more place me on a 11 CRF450R.

With the new exhaust a FMF bomb pipe header and less restrictive silencer along with an improved accelerator pump, moded airbox, and R rear shock spring on my 08 450X I can hang in the middle of the pack. Many from dealer and fellow riders think going to a lighter 250R or even 450R I could place even higher. My 450X is set up for this weekend by dealer. New cams, cam chain, timed,tuned and airbox/filter cleaned, new accelerator pump diaphram, front and rear shock rebuilds and set up, new drive chain and case protector, all for $125. I am going to like this deal(er).

My problem is that I have good days like last sunday, and bad days where I can barely do the 2 5 lap motos with the goal of being upright. Sunday I hit midway on the table top twice and when the bike bottomed out I was almost thrown, so it is either full on or putter over the jump. More and more with the newer tracks there is more 'hollywood' style jumps, where the object is to look pretty rather than keep speed up. Watch any AMA outdoor series on speed.
My 08 450X weighs 247lbs with 1/2 tank fuel, the new 450R will weigh 223lbs and the 250R will weigh 217lbs and believe me 20-30 lbs is a lot of weight to fight on the edge of control.

Momma states last bike if I do it, I feel a 250R with my body weight may lead to power issues, and a 450R I may be inclined to go faster than I should. The 450X is a good compromise in power/speed/handling. Not that I fear getting hurt, object of the exercise is mental health and to have fun at what the VA states up to my ability, not to break body parts.
Riding is more a physical training need as well as keeping from going crazy with all my growing physical restrictions. For some reason once I put the helmet on I am again in my 20's, till I have to strip off the gear and flop down on the cot after moto.

Momma forgot camera last sunday, will post more pics of my 'adventures' as the year goes on, Deweese MX this weekend and a PONCA qualifier week after (should qual in the VET A class), 3 places through year and get to go to Nebraska State quals later in year.

I don't really know which way to go, a few more races may be the deciding factor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic