Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Barrel for 98C?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which Barrel you would recomend more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [38.89%]
7 [19.44%]
4 [11.11%]
11 [30.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
WhiteWolf828 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteWolf828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Barrel for 98C?
    Posted: 06 March 2011 at 11:14pm
Okk so I just got a new 98 Custom and Its a great gun. Ive been wanting to do a couple upgrades to it, main one being a new barrel. Buuuuut Im stuck on several different barrels to choose from. The idea I kinda I want is a gun that aint a mega far-shooting sniper but has the ability to shoot far and be hella-accurate(and somewhere around 14"-16" and around $50). Which barrel do you think can help me achieve this? Right now Im thinking about the 98 Flatline Barrel, 98 Sniper 14" barrel, and the 98 Sniper 16" barrel. I know theres alot more but these are the main three Im looking at. Please help me find the right one!
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 9:42am
Go for a 12" or 14" Lapco Bigshot or JJ Ceramic, but note that there is little difference in performance between barrel sizes 12-16". I would go with a 12" since it has a lower profile.

And Sniper barrels are a load of crock.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 10:04am
They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:34pm
+2 for Jerseypaint.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteWolf828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 8:58pm
Okk soo the price definitly won me, both sound very promising and the reviews sounded awsome too. im still leaning towared the 14" barrels but now im stuck on these two(three couse now im thinking bout the Lapco BigShot Assoult barrel). Whats the difference between the JJ and the BigShot barrels? Which one is smoother and more accurate? And Is there any Differance/gains between the normal BigShot and the Assault version? Heres where I found it. (and thanks for the recomendations!)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 8:57am
Seriously, buy an apex 2. It is way better than any normal barrel.

Paintballs are not round, no matter what paint you buy, all of them have imperfections. (slap a micrometer on the best paintball, and you will see what I mean).

Because of this, no matter how polished your barrel is, or how accurate your barrel is to your paint, they all will shoot with an arch.

going up and coming down, in a short distance... So the differences between traditional barrels is minimal. (and I have used a ton).

You want to buy a barrel that ads spin to the paintball. The apex and flatline are the only two that do this.

The reason you want this is because the spin on the ball will help negate the inconsistancies in the paint as a bump on a paintball flying through the air shot from a traditional barrel will be affected by that bump. But, if you spin that same paintball with the bump in it, the affects of that bump will be much less noticable as the spinning will even out the flight path. We are shooting paint that is huge, with relatively low speeds, so any inconsistancy in paint makes a HUGE difference in accuracy.

My experience with a flatline showed me that the little bumps inside the barrel that help create the top spin are very hard on paint, and if you break a paintball then you are stuck trying to clean your barrel, not something easy to do with a flatline. In the cold, everything is worse. Plus the rubber inside the barrel wears out after so many shots.

And you can't turn off the flatline. It is the same amount of ramp all the time.

Next is the Apex or Apex 2. which is a traditional barrel .710 down to .690 at the end where the tip is located. This tip creates a backspin, which just like in ping pong, when you add backspin to the ball, it will sail much further in the air. I can shoot consistantly at 325 feet with the apex 1 fully ramped. A distance that regular barrels can't touch.

Plus that spinning will even out the inconsistancies in paint, helping your accuracy.

So if you want accuracy, and ability to shoot far, as well as around or over obsticles. Then you should buy an Apex. Then find paint that works well with your barrel, as they are all different. Even from box to box, based on the age of the paint, the way it was stored, and the temperature of the paint.

with the model 98 threads for your custom.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:09am
At the normal shooting distance of a paintball, the average imperfections on a ball at its maximum (allowed) velocity don't really matter. If they did, the game would have failed a long time ago, or straight barrels would have been scrapped in favor of pricier pieces like the Flatline or APEX.

I've been using a J&J ceramic on my markers since I started playing. I've had NO trouble with it despite the fact that it doesn't 'spin' or 'curve' the balls. Its a great barrel, and extremely affordable, and right out of the box without having to jerk around with any adjustments or gizmos, it'll be about as accurate as you need it to be given normal and realistic shooting conditions.

I think of it this way. If I'm shooting far enough away that my current barrel isn't doing the job- I'm wasting paint on a shot that even if landed- may lack the velocity needed for a break.

I can't think of a single instance in the decade I've been paintballing where I've been 'picked off' by someone using a barrel like the flatline or apex at a range where I couldn't get him back with my ceramic.

Are they nice? Sure, if that's your cup of tea. Are they worth it? I've never thought so.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by WhiteWolf828 WhiteWolf828 wrote:

Okk soo the price definitly won me, both sound very promising and the reviews sounded awsome too. im still leaning towared the 14" barrels but now im stuck on these two(three couse now im thinking bout the Lapco BigShot Assoult barrel). Whats the difference between the JJ and the BigShot barrels? Which one is smoother and more accurate? And Is there any Differance/gains between the normal BigShot and the Assault version? Heres where I found it. (and thanks for the recomendations!)

The assault just has fancy tip to make your marker look more mil-slim from what I can tell. No performance difference between the regular Bigshot or Assault.

Between the JJ and BigShot, the only real difference is JJs are better at shooting through breaks. I've heard some say that BigShots have a better ability to shoot more types of paint, as in you can pretty much shoot any paint size through the barrel, but that could just be hype from people loving their barrels a little too much. Other than that they both shoot great and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with either. Just figure out which one you like the looks of better (I went the BigShot route a few years back).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteWolf828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 8:30pm
Thanks man(and everyone else for the help). That dude above me got me thinking about those Apex barrels but then I stopped when it started talking bout buying better paintballs and stuff. Im only gonna buy walmart balls since our local shop closed down, and it looks to complicated for my begginer mind. So yeah choose by looks, and Im guessing Ima go with the BigShot becouse it looks like a bit of a supresser at the end :P so thanks!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 8:38am
No problem, when you get tired of the balls flying this way and that... Then you can get an Apex too. Many people doubt the difference an Apex brings, as they haven't used them and think they are gimmicky.

Then they play a game where accuracy matters, and they face someone with an apex. They get shot out, right away and then order an apex for themselves.

It really changes your game. Proof is in the video.

And I buy my paint from from a big box store as well, Dick's sporting goods. Xball Scenario woodsball camo paint $39.99 a case.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 10 March 2011 at 8:40am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

No problem, when you get tired of the balls flying this way and that... Then you can get an Apex too. Many people doubt the difference an Apex brings, as they haven't used them and think they are gimmicky.

Then they play a game where accuracy matters, and they face someone with an apex. They get shot out, right away and then order an apex for themselves.

It really changes your game. Proof is in the video.

And I buy my paint from from a big box store as well, Dick's sporting goods. Xball Scenario woodsball camo paint $39.99 a case.

First: Stop being butt hurt
Second: He bought a BigShot, his balls will not be "flying this way and that".
Third: The Apex is gimmicky. A scenario in which an Apex will prove useful over other barrels is rare; rare enough that it doesn't constitute buying one.

Just because you have one doesn't make it the best. The guy was thankful for your opinion but went another way, so you can stop hassling him/shamelessly promoting your gear.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

First: Stop being butt hurt
Second: He bought a BigShot, his balls will not be "flying this way and that".
Third: The Apex is gimmicky. A scenario in which an Apex will prove useful over other barrels is rare; rare enough that it doesn't constitute buying one.

Just because you have one doesn't make it the best. The guy was thankful for your opinion but went another way, so you can stop hassling him/shamelessly promoting your gear.

That about says it.

"A game where accuracy matters?" What does that mean? Whose ever walked onto a field and is told, "Don't worry guys, accuracy doesn't matter this round." haha.

You've basically said that any barrel that ISNT an APEX is a piece of junk. Well, you're mistaken of course. 10 years playing this game of ours and I've never been beaten by a barrel.

hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 1:20am
Bigshots are amazing. End of story.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 12:26pm
Other barrel considerations:
Proto and Smart parts (if you can find them).
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

ordep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ordep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 2:01am
i just got the flatline barrell and is a big diffrence in distance, it seem to go straighter for far longer than with my 14 cp barrel i recomended flatline $79
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by ordep ordep wrote:

i just got the flatline barrell and is a big diffrence in distance, it seem to go straighter for far longer than with my 14 cp barrel i recomended flatline $79

Indeed they do, but the velocity they're leaving the barrel is exactly the same as that of a straight barrel. They may go further, but they've lost effective velocity by the time they get out that far. I've seen those long balls shot from flatlines merely bounce off players more times than I can count. They'll always break on wooden targets, which is what the tests are all done with, but on softer targets, your chances for breakage is dropped dramatically.

They're not USELESS by any means, but personally I'd rather not trade added range for decreased effectiveness due to loss of velocity at increased distance.

Daemien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daemien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:54pm
This is useful to me as I'm getting a Carver One, Just about the same as a 98C, the only thing I'm wondering about is maybe upgrading the barrel to a 16 inch Straightline barrel. From what I've seen it looks like a decent barrel plus it's rifled.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Daemien Daemien wrote:

This is useful to me as I'm getting a Carver One, Just about the same as a 98C, the only thing I'm wondering about is maybe upgrading the barrel to a 16 inch Straightline barrel. From what I've seen it looks like a decent barrel plus it's rifled.

Rifling on paintball barrels does absolutely nothing to the paintball. Also 16" is a little big; something most don't notice until they're playing and they keep hitting the tip of your barrel on obstacles when ducking back in.
ordep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ordep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 11:27pm
i think i heard somebody say rifling makes the barrelquiet i wouldnt go no bigger than 14 inches though on lenght
Spider287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spider287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2011 at 6:04pm
I'm in a bit of a spot with this decision too.

I've been looking at barrels of all kinds, and I just can't seem to find enough information to make a good choice. I have a 98 Custom Pro (with the double trigger and 11" barrel).

I've pretty much narrowed the size down to 14", but I still have questions. I'm looking at a Bigshot and the 14" Apex 2. Would there really be that much of a difference between the two if the Apex is switched off? They'd both be straight 14" barrels at that point.

My goal isn't really to have incredible range. I just want good accuracy at medium range so I can confidently pick people off through windows rather than spray paint and hope that one of the balls decides to go through the window when his head is sticking out. I figured that if there isn't really that much of a difference between a switched off Apex and a Bigshot (or some other solid-piece 14" barrel) that I'd go with the Apex just so I have it should I ever decide to go for a shot around the corner or something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic