FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Etiquette
    Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:00pm
Am I the only straight male on the planet that obsesses on food etiquette?

I mean, not to the point of proper silverware, napkin placement or, elbows on the table. But the actual way you eat your food.

I hate eating out with people I don't know, because inevitably there will be that one person that eats with their mouth wide open and makes the most godawful smacking noise you can imagine. It's a point of huge contention for me, because while generally I'm the picture of laid back, this is something I'll call people out on shamelessly.

Oh, and next time you're out with one of those people, if you'll watch closely you'll notice they not only eat with their mouths open, they generally only speak with their mouths full. Like they'll actually get quiet in between bites, then start up again when they want to show you that lovely massive bite of hamburger they just took. The sound is something like a pig smother in a pile of mud, gasping for air while it tried to dig itself out. This is right up there with puppy hunting and crucifix violation with me.

And pro tip-if you're overweight, eating like this doesn't help your image AT ALL.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get neurotic about this?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:15pm
It bothered me when I was younger but hasn't really come to mind lately. It has also been a few years since I shared a meal with anyone who chews food with their mouth open so that probably has a lot to do with it.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:19pm
hmm...

What bothers me worse is when guys post pics of their new toy and the floor is a MESS... And that blue tape isn't a decoration... You are suppost to pull it OFF after painting...

Dude, buy a dyson.

Just pickin on you btw, I'm not being serious... I could care less if you are a floor slob, or eating slob for that matter, people are people...

Oh and control issues much?
They tremble at my name...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:19pm
Typically if I have to speak with food in my mouth I raise my hand and cover my mouth. I don't generally speak while chewing but sometimes you cannot avoid it, like when you first take a bite and the waitress asks you if you'd like a refill. I feel weird staring at her chewing for 90 seconds while she waits. At least if I cover my mouth while going "Yes please" you don't see food. 

I hear you on chewing with your mouth closed though. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:21pm
I try to avoid eating with a mouth full of food, but that doesn't mean I think it's the worst thing ever.  Etiquette is a joke.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

hmm...

What bothers me worse is when guys post pics of their new toy and the floor is a MESS... And that blue tape isn't a decoration... You are suppost to pull it OFF after painting...

Dude, buy a dyson.

Just pickin on you btw, I'm not being serious... I could care less if you are a floor slob, or eating slob for that matter, people are people...

Oh and control issues much?

Hey, I won't knock you if floor etiquette is your thing it's your thing

But my floor is usually pretty clean, we had just let the dogs in. As far as the blue tape, we're not finished :P

As for control issues, maybe. I mean, people can't really help the way the eat, and asking someone to change the way perform a natural function is douchey as hell, but for me it's something I can't help, it makes ms want to stab things.

And I'm always polite if I point it out, unless it's a friend that knows my thing (and they all do) and is standing over my head smacking...a buddy of mine will always try to stand right next to my head and talk when we're eating, drives me crazy.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:31pm
And all the grammar mistakes in that post = iPhone.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:32pm

I also hate looking at fat people.

No joke.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 24 February 2011 at 2:32pm
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

I try to avoid eating with a mouth full of food,

How the hell do you eat?

And the talking with your mouthfull doesn't get to me as most people use the hand shield "I'm sorry my mouth is full but you are talking to me" manoeuvre. Usually it's the person who spoke to them's fault as the guy is trying to eat, leave him alone. 
It's the noise of people that chew with their mouth open that drives me nuts. I really can't listen to it. 
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 10:23pm
I really really hate when I take a bite and the waitress ninja attacks me to ask a question. Other than that I chew with my mouth closed and wait to speak.
Que pasa?

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 10:54pm
Smacking has got to be the worst noise ever. I have no idea why, but something about it resonates within me. I actually get angry when people smack. Another one of those things I hate but shouldn't...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 12:56am
I have come to the conclusion that southern people are less likely to chew with their mouth open compared to northern. I had to tell my roommate that his smacking is my biggest pet peeve. Even when he eats candy and finishes it, he still smacks his mouth until all the flavor is out of his mouth. Drove me nuts. I had to put my earbuds in and listen to music before I just yelled at him. In class, the person next to me will come with food and his smacking drives me crazy. I just close that ear and won't talk or listen to him until he is done eating. It's the only way to stay sain. What happened to parents teaching them how to eat?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 1:39am
I have been known to go from 100% happy to basically willing to kill someone the second the smack their food or talk with their mouth open. A buddy of mine thought I was kidding one time when we sat down at the dinner table when I said very firmly "Do NOT chew with your G** D*** mouth open!" He then proceeded to look at me, open his mouth with food in it, and subsequently shut it in a millisecond when he saw me pick up the knife next to my plate ready to jump at him and cut his tongue out.  
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 2:18am
Me and my friends were talking about this topic the other night when we went out for dinner because they thought it was strange that I took my hat off at the table. The only thing people do that bothers me at the dinner table is the whole chewing with the mouth open/talking.
I ♣ hippies.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 8:00am

I hate watching people that do not know how to properly hold utensils or that the napkin belongs on their lap, not scrunched up next to their plate while they eat. Loud gum chewing drives me insane, as do people that sing along to the radio in the car. Especially if it's a song that I like.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 11:27am
You know, I thought that maybe you were overreacting when I first read through this thread.

Now there are currently two exchange students next to me eating out of the same bowl.  They are not more than 5 feet away, and are loudly slurping and smacking as they eat.

It is driving me INSANE.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 12:27pm
There is only one thing worse than gum chewing for me-ice chewing. Ice chewing is like an unholy amalgam of everything that makes me want to go on a killing spree-slurping, smacking, and mouth open crunching. Dear lord.

Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 2:08pm
I'm guilty of chewing on Ice.
I ♣ hippies.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

Me and my friends were talking about this topic the other night when we went out for dinner because they thought it was strange that I took my hat off at the table. The only thing people do that bothers me at the dinner table is the whole chewing with the mouth open/talking.

Depending where I'm eating if I take off my hat or not. Fast food probably not. Anything more formal I will take my hat off, or not even bring my hat into the restraunt.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I really really hate when I take a bite and the waitress ninja attacks me to ask a question. Other than that I chew with my mouth closed and wait to speak.
This. One hundred times, this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic