FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Useful shower infographic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Useful shower infographic.
    Posted: 22 February 2011 at 12:06pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 12:42pm
God, so true.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 12:44pm
That made my day.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 1:28pm
The green area in the left pic seems a little over-sized.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

The green area in the left pic seems a little over-sized.

I've live in my current apartment six months now, and I've yet to find the sweet spot I can just leave the dial at during the whole shower. About every 90 seconds I slowly rotate the faucet one way, then another, until I'm done with the shower. 

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 1:51pm
Those shower valves suck. Esp the Deltas with cartridges, absolute garbage.
ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 5:02pm
It's not really possibly without making the mixing chambers much more expensive.  Assuming you're just using 2 globe valves, one for the hot water and one for the cold water, the expression for the temperature at the shower head would be:

T = cos(x)*T_c + (1-cos(x))*T_h

where T_c is cold temp and T_h is hot temp.

The rate of change of the mass flow rate of the water is greatest as the globe valve is halfway open and reduces as it is turned either way.  By coincidence, the ideal water mix generally happens as the globe valve is about halfway open, so it is harder to find the ideal mix. 

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

It's not really possibly without making the mixing chambers much more expensive.  Assuming you're just using 2 globe valves, one for the hot water and one for the cold water, the expression for the temperature at the shower head would be:

The rate of change of the mass flow rate of the water is greatest as the globe valve is halfway open and reduces as it is turned either way.  By coincidence, the ideal water mix generally happens as the globe valve is about halfway open, so it is harder to find the ideal mix. 

This made me irrationally angry. I need to leave the forum for a while to keep from saying nasty things to you.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 5:30pm

I hope your shower suddenly and violently bounces between Magma and Ice while you're in there with a lady. And then I hope you sober up and find that she's horribly ugly, scarred, and pestilent.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 5:41pm

This is why you're FOREVER ALONE.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 6:03pm
That is not true at all for me.

The "How they should be" is what mine is. I start at the bottom of useable temps and turn it up as I go along when I get used to that temperature.
Que pasa?

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

The "How they should be" is what mine is. I start at the bottom of useable temps and turn it up as I go along when my water heater runs out.  
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

The "How they should be" is what mine is. I start at the bottom of useable temps and turn it up as I go along when my water heater runs out.  

That too. Sometimes I just skip the in between though because I can handle it after a minute
Que pasa?

ArthurBignose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurBignose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 6:19pm
Yea...I knew it would get those responses; gave me a much needed laugh.  Carry on!

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 9:46pm
I like the shower faucet I have. I'm in a dorm, but the shower faucet is spot on. Just turn it to full hot and it is perfect, sometimes you can go lower depending on your mood. Water heater never runs out.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I like the shower faucet I have. I'm in a dorm, but the shower faucet is spot on. Just turn it to full hot and it is perfect, sometimes you can go lower depending on your mood. Water heater never runs out.

I loved this about the dorms.  However the faucet was eye level so I always had to duck.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

My dorm shower was awesome, as the showerhead was set to fire-hose strength all the time. 

However, as an RA who worked summers, you could tell when the physical plant would switch to their decreased workload for the big building hot water heater. 

Average time for the water to get hot went from about 90 seconds to a half hour. 

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 7:56am
I've timed the water heat up time. It's only about 15 seconds from cold to perfect. It's awesome.

Oh and pntbl freak, I think it depends on which dorm you are in. The Shreve ones are quite nice. Harrison sucked... I'm short, as you have seen, so the shower head is high enough for me. Whenever I am drying off, I have to be careful not to hit my head on the faucet though.

Edited by RoboCop - 23 February 2011 at 10:46am

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:21pm
i mark the wall with a crayon...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 2:26pm
New showers fixtures are not like that...

Mine I only turn about 1/4 of the way and it is perfect. Hot water in 8 seconds. (yeah, I've timed it... don't know why I like to know stuff like that).

I put the top part way up there too, I hate it when it is too low and you crack your head on it when washing your hair. Here is the shower I put in a few months ago.

They tremble at my name...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic