0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
PAINTBALL1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You only live once...
    Posted: 15 February 2011 at 10:05pm
A friend of mine is having another kid and will be getting rid of his 01' Vette. He offered me the chance to just take his loan without anything else of top of it, which is around $11-12k. I could take his loan over, and after selling my car, would reduce my payment by about $100 a month, which I would roll back into the Vette loan to pay it off.

The reason I'm considering this is 1) My Accord while sufficient for getting to work, and hauling 2 out of 3 kids, doesn't fit the whole family. We have a van for our main family hauler and the Accord doesn't really get used except to get me to work and around town. 2) I will be buying a mid 90's truck to replace the one I sold last year. The truck will be family hauler plan B, and used for hauling our ATV. 3) even though I would be going from one car payment to another, the Vette is worth more than my current car and for the price, if crap hits the fan I could sell it and make out ahead. 4) I'll have 3 vehicles regardless but the Vette could fill the Accords role in life and give the wife and I a nice date/weekend car.

The details haven't been totally worked out, and will undoubtedly be the what makes or breaks this idea. But as for now, it's a slow night at work and I'm mauling this over in my brain.
USAF Special Weapons Technician.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 10:29pm
Pansies... GET THE FREAKING VETTE MAN!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 10:47pm
Man, 27 views, only 6 votes and one reply.

Rofl, you're like the voice in the back of my head screaming.

I'm trying to rationalize the idea...
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 10:58pm
Get an insurance quote, then get the car.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Get an insurance quote, then get the car.

Surprisingly enough, even though I'm under 25 replacing the Accord with the Vette results in a $20 increase. Which, I can live with. Being Active Duty + clean record since I was 15 + USAA = seriously reasonable insurance.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:39pm
How good of a buddy is he that he wants to unload his car for less than half of what it is worth?

Just smells fishy.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:47pm
I vote Hades.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:50pm
He's a good friend, I've known/worked with him for a couple years and I know the history of the car since at least he's owned it. He bought it a few weeks after moving up here, about 2 years ago. The car has seen some autocross on 3 seperate occasions but other than that it's his daily driver when the snow isn't too bad.

He tried selling it locally before without much luck. This area isn't really a hot market for RWD sport cars, it's more of a truck town. He doesn't have the best credit, or traffic history (speeding, imagine that) and is looking for a clean way out of the loan to start fresh and save on some insurance. However that start is looking to be CTS-V...

Dave, I appreciate the concern, but knowing the guy and the car is really why I'm considering this. I wasn't really in a market for a Vette but have a hard time passing up a chance to fill up my happy meter.

**Edit: He got the car for a great price from one of the local dealers. It had sat on the lot for a bit and the staff was happy to sell it in the middle of January.

Edited by PAINTBALL1 - 15 February 2011 at 11:54pm
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 12:00am
Think of it this way, when is the next time your gonna find THAT good off a deal on an 01 vette? they are still goin for over $30k here (idk how, dont ask).
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 12:27am

Seeing as the Accord does not get used for hauling kids much, I would consider selling the Accord, and buying a slightly newer truck (I am partial toward mid 90's Ford trucks myself, but you would be lucky to find a clean one). It sounds like you dont need the Accord, and only need two vehicles.

Is the Vette stick or automatic? Because the actual cost of driving a mundane Accord is significantly less in gas+repairs with the vette.

If you can afford the vette+truck+wifes car, I would say go for it. Personally, I would just use the truck+wifes car and be done with it. Restore an old car when your kids are older and you have a garage.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 12:54am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Seeing as the Accord does not get used for hauling kids much, I would consider selling the Accord, and buying a slightly newer truck (I am partial toward mid 90's Ford trucks myself, but you would be lucky to find a clean one). It sounds like you dont need the Accord, and only need two vehicles.

Is the Vette stick or automatic? Because the actual cost of driving a mundane Accord is significantly less in gas+repairs with the vette.

If you can afford the vette+truck+wifes car, I would say go for it. Personally, I would just use the truck+wifes car and be done with it. Restore an old car when your kids are older and you have a garage.

I've been debating the 2/3 vehicle thing for awhile and when I had all three costs were relatively low and everything was covered. 2, seems to make the most sense. But the van is paid for, and the truck will be purchased outright. I thought about selling the Accord and scoring a slightly nicer truck compared to what I would be buying. Then I thought about using the truck as a daily commuter/around town and I wasn't enjoying it. I had a 92' Chevy 1500.

The Vette, while not quite as economical as the Accord, isn't terrible either. Depending on how I flog it, should return high 20s on the highway and mid teens in town. Maintenance is higher than the Accord, but the LS1 is a fairly solid engine.

Eh, more thinking to be done. Truck+van seems most sensible, however...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 1:07am
Just a been there done that kinda thing...Vettes are way over rated.

My sister has an 06, it's the little maintenance things that get you. Once you get over the awesomeness of the Vette, you're just paying for a cramped, fairly powerful mid life crisis on wheels Not to mention they're plagued by electrical problems, and the GM house will rip you a new one on repairs.

But its like my dad said about Corvettes, they're one of those things you just gotta get out of your system. If it's something you REALLY want go for it, just make sure you can get out of it when the time cones.
Koolit32 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language in link 4/10/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolit32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 4:58am
I say go for it, only because I'm about to trade my very reliable 96 Camry with 90k miles for a 91 BMW 318is with 190k miles. Don't think, just do stuff.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 7:05am
I've never seen the appeal for having a super nice car, but if it will make you happy, do it. 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

I've never seen the appeal for eating meat, so my opinion doesn't count. 
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:34am
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:09am
I would love to have a vette and let someone rent to own it. I would love it even more when they made the last payment and the bank mailed the title to me.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:20am
Let us know when this episode airs on The Peoples Court.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Let us know when this episode airs on The Peoples Court.

How so? I have 3 options 1) Purchase the car outright from him. 2)apply for the loan through his bank and 4) apply for it through my current bank. So the peoples court can be left up to the ones who just decided it'd be fun to throw money at someone hoping for rainbows and unicorns to take of the rest... kind like voting for the current POTUS (Zing!)

And as far as the "nice" car, I guess it's not that it's a nice car but since I've been owning vehicles I've never purchased one for selfish reasons. My true dream car would be a Viper, between 2000-present. But that one will have to wait until I finish up the next 17yrs with Uncle Sam. Buying the Vette would just fill a gap of immaturity that I have from knocking up the wife 3 times, starting when we were 15.

Outside of that, the logical part of me sees that the price is good but on the other hand it's not needed and well I don't love having a car payment.

We shall see...
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:38am
I stand corrected, it does not appear that you just fell off the turnip vette.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic